Thursday, June 14, 2018

Throw Back Thursday: Longeing No Longer Required

Every now and then I really miss writing about Rico on this blog. I feel weird that so many of the posts here have been about the young horse when Rico is my heart horse. I've owned him for 13 years now and while I adore TC, Rico will always be my number one.

Here are some more things/stories/words about him:

Rico and I have gone out on the trails a bunch together. He is
the only horse I've trusted to let me carry my nice camera on
him (despite him occasionally making me regret that) so that
I could get shots like this. 

When Rico retired (the first time), I sold everything that was
his, including his saddle, so when I started riding him again,
we rode bareback for the first month so that I trusted that he
would stay sound. Even then, I slowly bought other stuff. I
found a saddle for cheap but waited to buy stirrup leathers for
another month.

Rico was the first horse I rode bridleless at more than a walk.
This is when he just retired from dressage and I was doing silly
stuff with him, like taking him on the trails and jumping him
without a bridle on!

I bought this ridiculous browband for his double bridle. It said
that it was "opal" which sounded beautiful (opal is my favorite
stone) but it ended up being quite a bit more pink. He still rocked
it for several years! TC will get his own soon enough.

One of my first ever shows on Rico was at Rancho Murieta. My
trainer didn't go so I rode with her trainer, who would eventually
get me my Gold like 8.5 years later. The only thing I remember
about this show is longeing Rico in the rain before my tests!
The idea of longeing him now before riding is hilarious.

2 comments: