Tuesday, June 19, 2018

An Update on Lumps McGee

Thanks for all of the ideas with the fly spray! I think for right this moment, I'm going to avoid any fly spray until he's totally better and we're done with this show, then I'll be very careful about trying one at a time and only like, on one part of him that won't bother him if he has a reaction. 

This post is just a boring update about his hives. 

So I noticed the hives last Wednesday night and immediately bathed TC to get rid of the excess fly spray. Luckily for him, I only missed one spot under his right hind leg where some fly spray had gotten and I had apparently not washed him, so he got the crusty skin stuff there again. That didn't appear until Saturday morning so I washed him all over again.

All he wanted was hugs, thanks Peony for the
visor! Incredibly necessary for this area lol


Sunday morning in his rainbow polo wraps (another
excellent $10 purchase from Camelot)
Starting Thursday, I put him on Benadryl and he remained on that through Sunday, when I was able to get my hands on some hidroxyzine, which he started on Monday. 

I rode him bareback on Thursday morning and he seemed totally great, spooking at shit and trying to eat all the trees (which is a new and stupid thing he likes to do, he KNOWS it annoys me but he does it anyway). 

Friday evening I decided to try an actual ride. His bumps had all gone down except a big patch of edema on his belly. My BO saw me taking him out and said that it'd probably be good for him to move around to get that edema to go away. 

TC was a little tense about the saddle and then took off with me when I got on. He walked on tip toes for a little bit and I couldn't tell why. Was it because he was in pain? Maybe. Was it because I was thinking he might be in pain? Maybe. Was it because he was excited? Maybe. It's hard to tell. He settled into our walk and had a really nice time marching around the field.

Close up, they're pretty awesome
He saw me putting stuff in the trailer and this is
how he watched me

When we got to the arena he was hesitant. I hadn't put on spurs just in case, and I figured I'd only work for as long as he was comfortable. 

He didn't seem comfortable at all. I keep telling people that his trot is manufactured, that it took me a long time to get him loose and over his back and to change the scope of it. I sometimes stop believing that because his trot is always so nice when I ride it. This time, it was TERRIBLE. It felt like the trot he had as a young horse- stiff in the back, on the forehand, leaning into his knees. Bleh. So we stopped and I got off. He immediately just wanted to get hugs and then try to take off my visor. So we just walked back to the barn and I brushed him and put him away. 

Saturday morning I took him on a hand walk and then discovered the skin issue under his right hind leg, so I gave him a bath. 

Sunday he was finally looking somewhat normal, so I put him to work a bit, nothing too difficult because the edema was obviously still bothering him. And Monday he looked okay as well, but I was coming back from the bay and it took me way longer than I expected (because I went to teach on the peninsula, then Waze thought it was a good idea to take me through SF in rush hour and a better idea for me to get OFF THE HIGHWAY into DTSF to take a short cut. Um not listening to Waze ever again). 

My mom wanted to make sure I took
the meds she was giving me for TC
This morning I rode him, there was still the tiniest bit of edema, but he was willing to work if a little behind my leg. Until the end, that is, when I decided to stretch him out at the trot. He was being great until he bolted with me. My reins were long so he was able to get going pretty good. I almost came off the left side of him and he really slammed me backward with my long reins! I jammed my finger and have a bit of neck pain, but I did stay on.

He then had to do a bunch of simple changes and leg yield zig zags. And he was great at both! It was hard to remain mad at him after that...

1 comment:

  1. Awww, that sucks about all the hives. Darn horses with sensitive skin, haha! I love the rainbow polos!

    ReplyDelete