TC had an overgrown bridle path that needs trimming, his mane was way too thick last time I braided it so it needs to be pulled, he also grows feathers like he's part friesian or something. I also need to finish packing the trailer, put gas in the truck, switch out my hitch so I can give Andy his back, panic a little bit about having to remember three tests, and wash everything that I haven't washed yet.
![]() |
| We'll be in this arena this time (ring 2, which was not going on last time we were there) |
Here's what I've got going for me so far:
I got a small battery powered fan that clips onto the manger out of TC's reach. It's not very powerful, but I figure any increase in airflow inside the trailer is good. It's not a very far drive (30 minutes maybe) and I will leave his window down with just the bars so hopefully he gets some airflow that way too. I'm thinking about getting a larger battery operated fan to put on the outside of the trailer so he has some airflow out there too while he is tied between classes.
I also am going to get a couple more buckets for my trailer. He's going to have two buckets of cold water in front of him at all times, one with electrolytes and one without. I also will have a third bucket with an alcohol and water mixture (how do I make this??) so that it dries quicker than with just water.
I'm bringing a ton of ice, as well as a cooler with a bunch of ice packs too, plus cold water for me to drink. I haven't decided what to do about my show coat situation. I need to wear my back brace, and I guess I could wear my white one and put it over my show shirt... I think I might just wear my coat unless I legit think I'm going to die of heat stroke. Unfortunately I don't have anyone coming with me (who is dedicated to just me, I do know people there) to hand it to me... I dunno, will need to think about it.
Most importantly, we're going to be doing a ten minute warm up. He just needs to trot and canter and then go in. The training is there, no need to push all the buttons and exhaust him.
| Um when is it cold again? |
Here's my ideal plan:
8:00 - drive my car to the show to check in (less time for TC to be at the facility)
8:30 - check in
8:45 - drive home
9:15 - hitch up trailer
9:45 - hose off with cold water
10:00 - tie up under fan and braid
10:30 - hose off again with cold water
10:45 - put back in stall (which has fan) with some grain and pull trailer out of parking spot
11:00 - load into trailer, drive to facility
11:30 - park at facility and unload
11:40 - make alcohol mixture, then sponge off all over
11:50 - put on tack
12:00 - sponge off with alcohol mixture before getting on
12:10 - get on, walk to warm up ring
12:20 - walk over to the show ring, sponge off chest and between legs with alcohol mixture
12:27 - into the show ring
Afterward hopefully I can hop off and sponge him immediately, get him back to the trailer to pull his tack and sponge again. Then he'll have to hang out at the trailer, hopefully I can find shade, but if not, we'll go stand rudely in the barns or under some trees before having to get on again. I don't plan on warming up for my second test for longer than 5 minutes.
I've never shown, or even really ridden him, in this kind of heat. Please let me know what else I should be doing to help TC stay cool. I'm really worried about it and I will for sure be scratching if he doesn't seem right.
I kind of wish that I hadn't have signed up at this point, which is not an unusual feeling for me to have right before a horse show, but this time the tests aren't stressing me out, it's the heat!!

I think the sponging before and immediately after your ride is going to be a big help. I used to hose Promise's legs, chest and belly really well before riding in the Florida heat and I found it helped a lot. Hopefully there will be a breeze and shade available. And, like you mentioned, try to keep both of you well-hydrated.
ReplyDeleteI know plenty of trainers (at least in the hunters) say wear your jacket even if they are being waved by the judges, but in that type of heat, I say go without if you can!
There's supposed to be almost no wind, ugh! I hope I'm coming in way over prepared for this heat.
DeleteI think you've got a really good game plan set up! For the alcohol mixture I just dump in a good glug or two--you really don't need a lot. As far as coats, in the past when I've shown by myself in obscene heat (usually it's more like obscene humidity), I've found the ring stewards to be super helpful in setting your coat somewhere near them and retrieving it from them right before going in.
ReplyDeleteReally though, I've found my horses to handle the heat much more easily than I do, so make sure you're taking care of yourself too!
Yah I think that he's probably going to be totally fine and I'll be the mess! Luckily this looks like mostly heat, we don't tend to get too humid out here.
DeleteYou may want to be cautious about the alcohol/water mix with a sensitive horse. I did endurance for years and had two horses who could not tolerate alcohol AT ALL, one who even broke out in hives. Maybe test it at the barn first. We regularly did 50-100 mile rides in 90+ degree weather through the summer and didn't have many problems besides me taking a while to find out an appropriate electrolyte protocol for myself, but that only became an issue after 30-40 miles. Fan is a good idea, sponging with cold water is good and drinking enough water for you.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good point! I'll try it on him before we go for sure. That makes me feel better about the 50-100 mile rides, I ride primarily in the mornings when it's in the 60s so the change to riding potentially in the 100s has me a little worried.
DeleteYeah, I am going to second the anonymous up there. Pig doesn't tolerate alcohol. He doesn't break out, but he does ACT out. He HATES the sensation. Also, don't put it under where your saddle is going to go, even if he's fine with it. You can get a reaction that way.
ReplyDeleteI know you're both pretty new to this, but it think you'll be okay. I would worry more about you than him. Remember, he lives outside all the time. You live in air conditioning most of the day. Acclimatization is a thing.
Yes, give your coat to the ring steward. Or just resign yourself to wearing it for the brief warm up. Carry it to the ring, get on him at the ring, and put it on then. If you stick to a 10 min warm up you'll only be wearing it for 15-20 minutes.
Yah that's very true, I think I'm going to be worse off than he is, though he is pretty pathetic in the heat too. I really won't be on for all that long so I might just wear it, having to not wear it is tricky because of my back brace.
DeleteChecking in without the trailer is smart, I never thought of that! Not much else I can add, except I like gatorade for myself.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely going to stock up on gatorade I think! I had totally forgotten about that and was only planning on bringing water, oops...
DeleteBring extra towels for yourself, to put on the back of your neck if you start to overheat. Also, consider soaking his hay and his grain to help him stay hydrated. If it's stupid hot in the trailer when you go home, dump ice on the floor and mix it in with the shavings. It will help keep the trailer a few degrees cooler.
ReplyDeleteMostly, move slowly yourself and don't spend a lot of energy before you get on. Stay more hydrated than you think you need to. If you can find some good elytes at a health-food store, get those. Gatorade and Powerade are NOT very good, since they are mostly sugar.
Ah that's a good idea with the towels! I have a cooler that I was going to fill with ice that morning on the way back from checking in. This whole showing in the heat thing is brand new to me, all last year we showed on the coast where it was at most in the 70s. And with Rico being at the upper levels, we got the good morning times haha
DeleteI'll look into different kinds of electrolytes, I do like sugar... but yeah it's probably not the best thing out there.
Get yourself to a sporting goods section/store and find some of those cooling towels. (Amazon has a number of brands, including Chill-Its, but given time constraints... hie thee to a store. :) ) They're not the be-all, end-all of human cooling, but for 10-15 minutes, having one of those tucked up under your clothing somewhere helps, especially if you douse it in ice water first.
ReplyDeleteI throw a couple bags of ice down on the trailer floor right underneath Hampton when I haul in nasty heat. It really does help cool the inside of the trailer!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!!!
ReplyDelete