I've ridden this test only a few times since the patterns were changed and I figured that if I was going to ride it at the show next weekend (still deciding), I should, you know, ride it before then.
I don't test ride a ton. I string movements together that I think will be an issue, but I don't do start to finish test riding much. I just don't find that the actual test riding itself helps me all that much. But it is good to take an inventory sometimes, so that's what I did on Friday of last week.
| TC says he can eat 1-3 for breakfast |
Here's how the test rode that day.
Centerline
This rode as it always does. I need to practice them more, for sure. He wants to halt a bit off to the right with his shoulders.
Lengthened trot
I need to work on these for sure. TC's feels giant, like as giant as Rico's extension, when he's barely moving. But it rode well.
Leg yield zig zag
It was fine, though now that I've had my lesson, I think it will be a highlight!
Stretch circle
Perfect as always
10m circle - turn across - halt - turn - 10m circle
This rode shockingly well. I was thinking that it'd be a wobbly mess, but the 10m circles are exceptionally doable and the halt... well, the halt needs work for sure. At my lesson he halted perfectly, which I hope is just a thing he starts doing from now on. That's how dressage works, right?
Free walk
Quite good, I was checking my phone while in it though, probably not going to do that in the test.
Medium walk - trot - canter - 15m canter circle right
This all rode super well, I appreciate it being on the right lead for this test. Tanya wants his canter transitions to be a lot sharper, a lot more powerful, and for him to not lengthen his frame in them.
Lengthened canter right
I took this easy in the arena because the footing was kind of hard
Counter canter loop right
Rode super well, I'm excited to apply the changes to it!
Simple change through the trot
Wasn't as through as I wanted it to be, but it was quite accurate and straight
15m canter circle left
I can feel his tendency to get shitty in this at home, so we'll be doing a lot of this. It's mostly that I lose his haunches to the outside and then he starts boinging sideways.
Lengthened canter left
Same as above
Counter canter loop left
This was the only WTF moment as he careens laterally into the rail and then gets upset about it. I think he needs to be more comfortable in haunches-in with his right hind under him. We halted, did a couple of turns on the forehand off of that right leg, then went back and rode it perfectly
Lengthened trot
Same as above
Centerline, halt
He is thinking about quitting early on this movement, but it rode fine.
![]() |
| Both halts went better than they did at our last show at least |
I'm super stoked to be doing First 3 so soon! I think we'll be ready to dip our toes in at Second by the end of the year, and that's crazy to me. He's come so far in the last year. We are lining up to be finished with First level in July (we'll probably do a few more shows at First just because Second is rough) when a year ago he hadn't even shown!

I find the canter serpentine in 1-3 a challenge, because in every single test up to this point, there's a downward transition at X across the diagonal. It was a good exercise in me being very clear with my seat that we needed to keep cantering AND stay balanced through the turn, instead of letting the horse get behind my leg and on the forehand, then flailing at X.
ReplyDeleteI think we must ride it differently because I've never had that problem! The loop is a lot loopier than the diagonal, especially the way Tanya is having me ride it now with really bringing his haunches around. TC has also been schooling it for over a year now so I'm not tooo worried as long as we don't go careening out through the corner coming into it, which kind of happens with him sometimes, regardless of whether we're riding the loop or not.
Delete