Monday, June 18, 2018

Not Going Back Because We Never Left

Every time I post something about working on the basics with TC, I get a comment or two about how nice it is to see that even we/I/whatever need to go back to basics sometimes. But I'd like to disagree with this premise. There is no going "back" to basics, since you can't go back to a place you never left. We've been working on them the whole time. There has never been a moment in my dressage career where I said "okay, basics done, phew! Never gotta do those again."

Rico and I perfected walking long ago, so therefore we just
scamper everywhere (thanks, Nicole)
I think this idea of back to basics has kind of a negative connotation, or at least that's how I interpret it. I always feel kinda like the wind leaves my sails when someone says that comment since it feels like they might have expected that I'd be a better rider and not need to work on such things. I know, logically, that even Steffen Peters works on getting his horse better into the bridle or works on getting his canter circles to be a bit rounder or more balanced. But the phrasing sounds a little bit like a retreat, like something was done wrong the first time around and now we have to drag ourselves downward, backward, to the dregs of dressage to fix something.

But it's not so. The "basics" can always get better and as you climb the levels, they should get better. Not working on them at every single level means that you're going backwards. The throughness should get better with each level, the roundness, the straightness, the collection. Even your ability to ride a twenty meter circle or leg yield should get better. The moment you stop working on them regularly is when things start falling apart.

Always working on the basics, we need it!
I think it may lead to people kind of avoiding the basics after a while (or looking forward to the moment that they can avoid it) because having an entire ride on a twenty meter circle working on bend seems like something you do when you're at a lower level. Or becoming frustrated having yet another lesson on improving the connection. As if it's some kind of failure to be still working on these things and that dressage doesn't really start until you get through this boring part.

But this IS dressage. All of that work is what dressage is. Through all the levels. The movements should be the result of good basics, and as the basics improve through the horse's entire dressage career, the movements will come on relatively easily. If the only time dressage is fun is when you're doing half pass or tempi changes or piaffe or passage, this is absolutely the wrong sport for you. Most of dressage is improving the throughness, improving the connection, making the horse sharper off the aids, getting the horse to push better from behind or carry more weight behind. That's the whole thing. The movements should be the icing.

I mean if I could just piaffe and passage all day I totally would
I know TC isn't anywhere near being an upper level horse, but I'd say that probably 90% of the time I spend in the saddle is working on something that could be considered "the basics" with the other 10% of the time dedicated to actually schooling movements for the sake of schooling them for shows or to teach him new movements or to just randomly go "weeee" in a lengthened trot because it's fun.

We spend a lot of time working on circles and figure 8s and riding in straight lines off the rail and across the diagonal. We do a lot of transitions that we redo if he isn't pressing into the bridle enough or sharp enough off my leg. We do a lot of just... cantering... in straight lines and on circles, improving the connection and getting him even more in front of my leg. I didn't skip any steps or make any mistakes (okay I made a TON of mistakes, but we all do) to have to work on these things, this is just what dressage is.

Even when riding Rico at the upper levels, it wasn't just all piaffe and passage all the time. More than half of my rides were spent working on the connection, getting him in front of my leg, getting him more supple. It wasn't because we had skipped all those things in the past (I mean we skipped some things), it's because they can always get better and they should get better. The connection shouldn't feel the same on a Third level dressage horse as on an Intermediare I dressage horse, it should be better. The straightness should be better. The suppleness should be better. There is no stopping with the basics.

Like, this pirouette got a 7 but it could be rounder, just saying
So can we change the negative association with "back to basics" and turn it into something more positive? And can we stop pretending like upper level riders are so far up on a pedestal that they don't have to work on improving the connection or improving suppleness? And can we stop acting like it's a retreat or a mistake if you "have" to work on basics? Because if it is, then I'll be making mistakes for the rest of my dressage career (which I mean, I will, but not because we're still working on making our walk-trot transitions better).

22 comments:

  1. I'll admit to using the phrase "back to basics" (mostly referring to my self). I've vaguely disliked the negative connotation but I never really thought about it like this, this makes a lot of sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'm the only one who had used it like "holy shit that person needs to go wayyyy back to the basics with that horse" in a negative way lol!

      Delete
  2. Totally agree, you never leave "the basics," but I think the target is moving. What's straight enough for Training level isn't straight enough for First isn't straight enough for Second and holy crap you have to be way straighter to pull off a change at Third and I can't even IMAGINE how straight you have to be to get 1's. "The basics" have to be constantly perfected millimeter by millimeter so that you CAN do the movements... and if you don't have those "basics" correct enough, the movements either don't happen or are a real struggle to *make* happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Like I said, the basics (training scale) you have at Third level is not going to be enough at Prix St George, and if you try taking your PSG into the GP ring, you'll be real screwed. I don't think the definitions change though, like straightness is still straightness. TC is straighter at First level than Rico was at Fourth, which is both exhilarating and disappointing lol

      Delete
  3. i always kinda want to quote super troopers when it comes to the subject of going back to basics.... " But he's already pulled over, he can't pull over anymore!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Damnit I missed a great title opportunity.

      Delete
  4. I guess I never call it "back to basics". It is more a discussions of "reestablishing" something. I am not sure if the connotation of that is any better. Even in rides where you are introducing new concepts, you introduce the concept and then check on/correct the basics.

    That half pass was a good try. Now, are we straight, connected, bending, etc etc etc. Fix all that, then try the half pass again. At least, that is how I try to work on things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I also meant "back to basics" like doing a whole bunch of walk-trot transitions on an upper level horse :)

      Delete
  5. It's interesting that you read it that way! I guess I don't the "back to basics" phrase as negative -- more like... showing camaraderie? Like no matter how far you progress in riding, we all work on the same things to improve ourselves and our horses. I love that about the sport -- it keeps us ALL humble, no matter how high we get :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha for sure, that's why I said it's probably a personal problem that I'm taking it that way.

      Delete
  6. I can see how the phrase has negative feelings associated with it, especially in a medium that doesn't convey tone well. I think basics are important. You can't do big things without having made sure the building blocks are steady. I'm the type of person that likes to go back and fix things though so I don't find it negative in my mind. I've also never read your posts as "backwards". You are so clear in your explanations and I always understand the sense of getting a little more out of the 20 meter circle or the lateral movements when you work on them with TC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I think there are people who think that once as you have the building blocks in place, they get ignored, which is definitely not how it is at all.

      Delete
  7. Thank you! I always feel like my foundation needs more and more work the more and more I learn about dressage and riding in general. Starting babies too I constantly think about it.

    Read somewhere, beginners want to work on intermediate things, intermediate riders want to work in advanced stuff, and advanced riders want to work on basics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! It's definitely true I think lol or at least, it was very true for me.

      Delete
  8. I think I made one of those comments to you and that is NOT how I intended it to come over! :) But I do see your point for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember you saying anything like that! I don't actually remember who says what, I just remember it happening a lot and it's been something I've been talking a lot about to Kate, which is usually how these posts start.

      Delete
  9. I like the thought process of this. I know for training reining horses, we never worked on just stopping or just spinning or just those big movements. You had to work on them yes, but creating a good run-down makes stopping better. Making sure the horse is round and moving off your leg and listening to your aids makes the spins better. I agree with you that the "back to basics" isn't ever "back" - you are consistently improving them and making them better so that those higher level movements become easier. 100% agree with this thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I know basically nothing about reining so it's cool to hear a bit about it. But yah so much of my rides these days are "still" working on improving the connection and straightness and throughness. And that was the case with Rico too!

      Delete
  10. but i DO scamper everywhere soooo....

    ReplyDelete
  11. My instructor and I were talking about this a while back! I feel like a number of horse people I've been around in real life have a view of foundation level/'back to basics' riding that comes off as "oh, is that all you're doing?" Which, yea I was totally there for a number of years haha. But now I'm trying to think of it as upgrading the foundation - you wouldn't want to add a new addition on to a house or just build a barn without checking and tweaking the land/structural components! And to extend the metaphor (because why not haha), the fact that you are in a place where you *can* upgrade means you've put the work in/'saved the money', and have an awareness for how this will make things better going forward. But it's still weeks or months before anyone else sees that new kitchen or walks into that barn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me feel 115% better about taking a year off showing to...go forward to basics? Haha.

    ReplyDelete