Sunday, December 7, 2014

Pony Withdrawal

In TWO days I get to see my horse for the first time since Thanksgiving. With the rain and how busy I've been, it's just not worth taking the time to go down to the ranch just to walk my horse down the road in the rain.

It has been clear for a few days now so Rico got his pasture today after being locked in his small (well, 50 foot) paddock for a week. My mom sent me a video and we talked on the phone. Apparently he went NUTS.

She opened up his pasture and he first went out there and rolled on both sides. Then he got up and immediately started bucking, like as he got up he bucked. Then he shook, then he couldn't contain his happiness.

I got this video (hopefully it works):


(keep in mind that the little bay horse that isn't Rico has severe arthritis that causes a mechanical lameness, meaning that he has no pain, just very little range of motion in his joints- he is being treated for any pain he may feel. He loves to run around despite looking pretty lame)

Mom said that Rico ran for a good 4-5 more minutes before finally settling down. What a silly horse. She said that his legs looked fine tonight, so I guess those tendons can take a lot more than I thought they could.


I'm doing okay without Rico being a large part of my life I guess. I have unbroken fingernails now which aren't perpetually covered in dirt. I have more time for things (I'm taking a course on udacity for experimental data science, so cool). I'm not actively losing money anymore. My clothes stay clean for longer. But I miss it all so freaking much. I miss having a goal to work toward. I miss my partnership with Rico. I thought I'd really enjoy this, I was so burnt out this summer, but all I've been doing lately is trying to determine what the next steps are in me getting a horse. It certainly won't happen before this spring, probably not until summer or even at the end of summer. First step: getting a job. Cover letters have been sent out already.

I miss these ears so much
But, I have an email into a family friend who breeds horses. I've offered to go down there once or twice a week and ride a few. Maybe if I like one, I can get a head start on training my future project horse. I doubt any of them will be as amazing to work with as Rico has been all these years, but I'm sure I can find something that is fun and rewarding to hold me off until I have the funds for Rico 2.0.

I won't be getting one of these anytime soon

5 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. After college, I went without horses in my life. I lasted exactly a year before I cracked and bought Guinness. Life felt empty somehow without a horse to work with.

    Feeling burnt out on something is pretty normal when you're working on it so hard. You can't keep up the intensity you were working when pushing toward that 60+% at GP. I get the same burnt out feeling after putting a lot of time and effort into training. I was just going to wrote a about that, actually.

    Riding young horses could be so fun! You'll definitely get a feel for what you like in a young horse, if nothing else. When I started riding greenies, after solely riding Pig For a long time, it was quite an adjustment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The view through the ears is always the best view :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will get better :)

    Don't think of it as quitting or a hiatus or anything... it's just a part time thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truth: I have never taken any real time off from horses. Sometimes they appear in my life in different ways or I don't ride as often, but they're always there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rico is SO cute bucking and frolicking around like that lol! good luck with getting to ride a few youngsters in search of a potential partner - and double good luck on the job hunt! hopefully this sort of in-between stage will just be a short, temporary stint before the next project!

    ReplyDelete