So today I FINALLY got to go down to the barn to ride Rico! Ah I was so excited. He was out in his pasture grazing when I got there, of course. I went out to grab him and he was unimpressed by me wanting to ride him. I always think that he'll be so excited to see me since I'm excited to see him but he's always like "oh... you" and turns away from me. One day I'll get something out of him.
![]() |
| He was thrilled to see me |
I actually managed to climb on him in the halter from a stump in his pasture so I didn't have to walk in. He decided that he didn't know how to steer and tried to take me over to let him graze. Poor pony!
I took my time brushing him and picking all the mud out of his feet. He got lots of cookies too. I made him all pretty, chose my awesome saddle pad with the sunflowers, put on his boots, got on, and we went for a walk down the road. I was so happy to swing up into the tack, but that feeling went away soon after I got on. He felt kind of reluctant the whole ride. He seemed interested in looking around but wasn't all excited like I had expected him to be.
![]() |
| Look at how green everything is! |
![]() |
| Yay! |
Trying hard to ignore it, I took him into the arena. I wanted to believe he was just tender on it on hard ground on a tight circle. Plenty of horses are hobble-y on hard ground turning but then are fine on soft ground with large circles. I cantered him first, because he's always a bit stiff and then came back to trot. He wasn't lame per say, but very uncomfortable. More so than what I had come to realize was his normal state of meh-ness these days.
![]() |
| I missed riding him in here so much |
I put him away quite early into my ride and gave him prevocox. I talked to my mom and made the decision to start taking the steps to permanently retire him (pulling him off of his supplements, getting his hind shoes off and working to get his 3-week front shoe schedule out to 6 weeks). He's clearly uncomfortable doing any sort of real work. I'm still really hoping that maybe after this winter off, he'll be comfortable enough to trail ride, at least with some NSAIDs... But today he really told me that he wasn't excited about going out.
![]() |
| Wishing his pasture was as awesome as the neighbor's |
I'm kinda sad. I was hoping to keep him going through the winter and spring just for fun until I had the money to buy a new horse. Now I'm feeling especially horseless, and I wasn't handling feeling sorta horseless very well before.
BUT I heard back from our family friend who has horses that I could ride. She offered me a young horse to play with, a three year old. That's SUPER young. I haven't ridden something that young in a while. But interesting things could develop with this horse so I will keep you guys updated.
I think I get to meet him on Friday unless the "storm of the decade" we're supposed to get on Thursday messes everything up for me. Fingers crossed! Can't wait to experience that slightly-out-of-control-no-steering-no-brakes feeling of riding a real baby again.
![]() |
| Rainy day at school last week |
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
Poor Rico. Sounds like he might be kind of confused and lost regarding retirement, too. It's possible his extreme off-ness could just be a flare up for the day (weather, overdoing it in his turnout, tweaked something), but it's probably best to be cautious. It sucks when your horse is getting old.
ReplyDeleteHe seems to be getting progressively worse on that right front. My vet predicted it but I was just hoping Rico would hold off and let me have more fun on him this winter! Hopefully prevocox and resting will leave him at least happy to trail ride.
DeleteAwww, that's a bummer :(
ReplyDeleteBut everything is SO GREEN! Also, I've definitely had the "do I really need to live in a house?" conversation with myself 1000 times. Totally normal.
Yeah I mean living in a house is nice and all but I definitely don't need FOUR walls AND a roof, I'm not the queen. Plus ponies > safe neighborhoods right?
DeleteI love how green our hills get! Even if it's just for a few months before everything dies again :)
oh no, Rico! i've still got my fingers crossed that he'll be up for trail rides forever (esp maybe after a little time off...). in the meantime, i hope things work out with this 3yo... definitely tooootally different from Rico -but hopefully fun too :)
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to meeting the baby! Even if he doesn't work out for me, he'll be a fun horse to play with before I can buy one in the spring/summer. And he'll let me know if I really want one that young. VERY different coming off a GP horse and getting on something that doesn't know how to steer.
DeleteThe Previcox works really well - my mare was on it last Summer and she did really, really well on it. And the best thing about it is that it isn't as hard on the stomach as bute is.
ReplyDeleteYah I hope he feels better on that. Our old guy is on it and does well. Rico has a history of ulcers so can't be on bute (I don't even want him on prevocox for too long but we're giving him a few weeks). Fingers crossed he's at least good to trail ride!
DeleteAhw I'm so sorry to hear that. That really sucks, but he has so much heart! My fingers are crossed for you that he just was having an off day.
ReplyDeleteHe's such a good boy. If he were any other horse, I would think that he was just a little ouchy but with Rico, he'll work himself into the ground before he comes up actually lame. Hopefully with some rest and prevocox, he'll be okay to trail ride this spring!
DeleteAwww man, I'm so sorry to hear that. I really hope it's just a short-term thing for him.
ReplyDeleteIf you want a pony, I have a Haffie I will loan you if you can make him into a Grand Prix horse. ;)
Ahh I bet Paddy would have the world's most adorable passage! I hope Rico is okay enough to do some trails, that was something I was looking forward to very much.
Delete:-(
ReplyDeleteI hate when they tell us it's time. So kind of him to wait until you were through competing and kind of you to not keep pushing after that.
Hugs. Hope the baby is lots of fun.
Thanks :/ it could have been so much worse. He could have come up this sore this summer and we would never have made it. I'm ever grateful for his patience!
DeleteHopefully this baby will take my mind off of all of this. I should meet him tomorrow if only to see him in person and learn what his name is. I don't know anything about him other than his age, his breed, and that he's sweet. Nice of them to offer to let me play with him!