Sunday, December 28, 2014

Blog Hop: I'm a Loser, Baby

Oh this is a great one, because I always go on about how great Rico is and now I get to tell stories about how bad he has been! 

From Beka at The Owls Approve, another blog hop: Let's talk about your horse's biggest fail.  What did Thunderhooves do that embarrassed you, scared you, shocked you or just annoyed the hell out of you?


When I first got Rico, I don't think he was quite aware that people could fall off of horses. He had never had anyone come off of him, and it wasn't until 2007-ish that he even saw someone fall off (he was SHOCKED and ran backwards away from the person snorting, it was hilarious). Right around that time (was it related to seeing the person fall? probably not but it's funny to think that), he started really being bad. 
Yep, the world's most perfect animal used to be a complete dick

For almost all of 2007, I was out of full training with Rico for the first time and trying to figure out how to handle that. Rico was trying to figure out how to fuck with me in the best possible way. He had serious behavior problems on the ground- rearing in hand, kicking me, pulling back (and running around the barn refusing to be caught). And the problems didn't stop under saddle. 

In 2005 (the year I got him), I got to feel his massive bucks a few times so I knew they were in there. By 2007, the most horrible year ever, Rico had really figured out the art of the buck. 


The first time he bucked me off was that awful year. We were just cantering nicely around the corner and it happened... He galloped away with me bronc bucking in a straight line, then got to the end of the arena, did one of his patented front-end-on-the-ground sliding stop and then spins and added a twisting buck in just the right way that I went shoulder first into the arena fence and rolled down it.

First this when he saw the fence

Then this... and a buck when his front feet landed from this
(these pictures were from 2013 FYI, he was just being silly)

He was in complete shock and stood there while I laid there for quite a while. My knee was injured and I had to hop over to him, grab him, climb back on, and walk him up the hill. I probably wasn't that nice to him when I was getting him back because... 

The next time he bucked me off (later that week, UGH), he had obviously perfected it. He caught me way off guard, did a nice handstand and I was off over the right shoulder landing on my stomach. If that wasn't bad enough, Rico then proceeded to step on my back and refuse to be caught for a good 30 minutes. I had the wind knocked out of me and was running around trying to catch my stupid horse while he enjoyed turnout.


What a fucking asshole. 

Two things stopped this behavior: a natural horsemanship trainer came into the area and taught me all I know about groundwork and my new hunter trainer taught me how to give Rico a nice CTJ moment to convince him that bucking wasn't all that great. By 2008, I wasn't afraid of him in the least.  

Rico at the hunter barn

14 comments:

  1. Wow, and he seems like such a nice horse... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly grew up to be one! We definitely went through a rough patch but I feel like it led us down a good path... eventually.

      Delete
  2. I don't believe it. Rico is the most perfect creature EVAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rico most definitely thinks that I'm making the whole thing up!

      Delete
  3. Those are some impressive pictures of him trying to be bad :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure why I love it when my dad comes to take pictures- my mom will stop and worry about me when something goes wrong but my dad just laughs and keeps taking pictures!

      Delete
  4. CTJ moments are lessons we all need to learn for all facets of life...I think equestrians just tend to learn them earlier in life than your average person *sniggers*
    Glad you persevered and built a wonderful partnership with you gorgeous quirky guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love those CTJ moments! Rico most certainly needed one and took it to heart. He turned out pretty decent after that :)

      Delete
  5. Cheeky Rico! I really hope my young horses don't ever realize how to buck... *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! It took him two years to get good enough to buck me off, for those two years he only bucked straight so, although it scared me, I never fell. Then he figured out the twisty buck and it was horrible after that! So naughty.

      Delete
  6. I think you are lying!! Rico is totes amazeballs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rico is probably really insulted that I'm telling all these lies about him! He's a great horse, so much of his behavior issues were me just not knowing how to handle a big powerful warmblood when I was a teenager. He could have been a bit nicer to me as I was learning though!

      Delete
  7. yikes - what a naughty guy!! good for you for sticking it out and getting him past that - i can't even imagine what his perfect bucks were like if those 2013 pics are just him being 'silly' lol....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His bucks were ridiculous! I got to feel some of his real bucks out on the trail a month and a half ago and it was pretty nerve racking given that we were galloping along a ridge with a pretty steep downhill on one side. But he's good about not chucking me off of him now. Plus I'm not too worried, I know all of his moves now so I can sit anything he gives me.

      Delete