Wednesday, December 17, 2014

December 10 Questions

Woohoo! L from Viva Carlos gave me a great way to procrastinate today.

1. What size horse do you prefer to ride?
I love ponies and small horses but at 5'6 with long legs, I look better on horses that are at least 16h. I'm fine with larger horses as long as they are adjustable and/or smaller moving. Rico is a big mover but incredibly adjustable so him at 16.2 felt better than some horses at 15.2!

2. Do you school in tall boots or half chaps and paddock boots?
Mostly half chaps and paddock boots.

3. What do you do with your ribbons after shows?
I'm trying to figure that out! At the moment, all of the ones I earned in the last few years are hanging in my old room at my parents' house. Everything else is smashed in bags in their garage. I do have a few in a big glass jar in my bathroom and am going to explore other ways of displaying them.

Cookie jar full of my favorite ribbons from Rico

4. Do you ride/board at a large show barn or a small private barn?
Definitely small private since Rico is at my parents' house. Baby horse lives at a pretty big barn but no one there shows (at least not dressage, I think some of the western people show). It's definitely different riding with other people in the arena.

5. Have you seen a horse give birth?
Nope! I haven't been around a lot of breeding operations.

6. What is your favorite breed? I feel obligated to say Holsteiner since that is what Rico is. I value the mind and their ability to do what I want them to do more than the breed. I typically get along with warmbloods and baroque type horses (I worked with a Friesian stallion in the past). I don't typically get along with the hot breeds- thoroughbreds especially. I think mostly because my seat is so hot.

Baby friesian stallion who I evented for a year

Do love those baroque types

7. Favorite tack brand?
Custom for dressage saddles and devocoux for jump saddles. My double is a passier, which I like, but I don't tend to like their saddles.

8. Would you ever buy used tack?
I prefer it! My saddle is a Custom dressage saddle that I normally wouldn't have been able to afford but it was $650 used (massive deal omg).

9. Ever been on a carriage ride?
Yep as a kid. I'm looking forward to driving Rico if he ever goes sound and the rain stops.

10. How often do you go to the tack store?
Almost never. I buy a lot of stuff from Smartpak and I try to avoid going into stores since I always find something that I need.

10 comments:

  1. cute cookie jar! also - that fresian is super good looking, tho an unusual color, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep he's chestnut! I guess it's rare but they can sometimes be chestnut. He was such a cool guy :)

      Delete
  2. Love the cookie jar & jumping friesian photo *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I kept finding all these pinterest projects with cookie jars and ribbons and when I saw that jar at Target I was like YES. I love that little friesian, I don't know where he ran off to, but I miss my days on him!

      Delete
  3. Um yeah, had no idea there were brown ones. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People were always so confused by us- someone yelled at us (when he was still green and stupid) to get my "weird peruvian horse" out of the way.

      Delete
  4. My trainer's saddles are Custom. Omg. They are amazing, and make it so easy to get myself into the right position. If I found one for $650, I'd die, and spend all my money to get it. Passiers are built more for the TB types, and since you don't ride many of those, you probably wouldn't like them! I like the newer ones, but the older ones are harder than rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like dying when I saw it for sale at the tack shop- it was quite faded and had a lot of scratches and you could barely make out that it was a custom. But I sat it and fell in love. I told Rico that I'd replace him and keep the saddle if it didn't fit him but it did!

      You're totally right, I've only ever sat in old passiers and they are WAY hard which is why I don't like them. I should find a new one to sit in so I can reeducate myself.

      Delete