Thursday, June 30, 2016

Changing the Plan

So bad news, the show I was going to do on the little paint horse- he isn't going. The entries were due relatively quickly after we decided, and my student was away on vacation. I hate to pressure her when we have all year just because I want to show, so we've pushed that out to probably late July or August. Not a problem! It actually is fine because he needs his hocks done and more time is only going to make him score better!

All of the talk about showing the horse at rated shows this year has me feeling the itch to get TC ready to show. I'm excited to show on a horse who isn't TC, since with TC there's going to be some stress just because of his behavior at first. But I really do want to show him!

I feel like I WON'T STOP with these pictures
but they're some of the few riding pictures I have!
Soon there will be more :)
A while ago I remember writing up a plan for TC that, thinking back now, makes me slightly sad. So here's a new plan for him now that I have more knowledge:

2016 (5yo)- rehabilitation and general training, get him off the property a few times for clinics (ideally hitting 2-3 barns out of hopefully GG, Greenville, ASH, my parents' place, VR, RG, and maybe going back to HPW if I'm feeling like driving a lot) and teach him to be a normal horse in new situations; maybe show Training 1/2 at the end of the year at Greenville if I'm feeling extremely ambitious and his canter is magically fixed in rehab.

2017 (6yo)- in the spring, lots of off property trips, including some overnight ones to Tracey's barn and Heidi's barn; by summer showing solidly at Training; by fall, move up to First 1 unless I need more Training scores for some reason.

2018 (7yo)- in the spring gather scores for First level (championships, freestyle scores, etc); in the summer, debut First level freestyle if I so choose; in the fall, move up to Second 1 and maybe 2, put on lead changes over winter, maybe first Alfredo lesson.

One day I'll look up and one day this trot is going to be freakishly
amazing instead of just amazing
2019 (8yo)- in the spring gather scores for Second level (championships, freestyle scores, etc); in the summer, debut Second level freestyle and probably move up to Third level for the remainder of the season. Put lead changes on over winter if I didn't over the winter before.

2020 (9yo)- in the spring, finish up gathering Third level scores and start showing Fourth 1 as well as Third freestyle. Finish up three star rating for centerline. If he isn't getting the pirouettes on, sell him this year. If he is, ideally go PSG by the end of the year, or at least Fourth 2.

2021 (10yo)- bravely start the year with one Fourth 3 so that I can do a freestyle, spend the year gathering freestyle scores (4) for my Silver bar and showing PSG.

2022 (11yo)- finish up any PSG stuff I want to do, maybe get scores for championships if he's competitive (not likely), put up for sale if he isn't going to make it to I2, or go I1 by the end of the year. Finish up four star rating for centerline.

2023 (12yo)- use the year to get him ready for GP, do a couple I2s but make the move to GP to gather more scores. Finish up my five star rating on centerline. Put up for sale after the five star rating is achieved. Or win the lottery and keep him forever.

I forgot about this behavior... 
Obviously none of this is going to happen. Something will happen to derail us or he'll go faster or slower or he'll never come back from his injury. But I'm an obsessive planner and like to do things like this.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some goals knocked off though. One being doing a freestyle at each level required for the freestyle bars (there's only a handful of people who have all three bars and all three medals, so that'd be so cool!) and riding at CDS Championships (which switches back and forth between SoCal and NorCal- I'd only do the NorCal one because it's a lot cheaper for me to get to and hey, I've got friends in the area with cute dogs). I'd absolutely love to win an all breeds award for him, I need to look into that further.

I also need to look into the horse performance certificates for the lower levels too. And I want to finish up my centerline stars, since I'm seriously lacking in those because I couldn't afford to show a bunch at Fourth and above because I was in grad school.

All of this will depend on finances since I will be limited there (I much prefer lessons to shows, my trainer charges a LOT for lessons too) and obviously TC's soundness/talent and general luck will factor in as well. I have a tentative rule where if it starts to take more than a year a level, I'll sell him. I'm obviously hoping to get him to Grand Prix, but I don't want to spend 5 years trying to get a clean change on him or trying to get him to sit down to do a pirouette when I could sell him to someone who would enjoy him for what he's capable of and let him live a less stressful life.

How to tell your pony is on the forehand? Look how far
back his front legs go under his body. Basically going to hit
the ground face first soon.
But the horse has the mind for dressage (or at least had, hopefully he hasn't completely switched over to competitive horse swimming) and well, I've done it before?

I'm just about dying not having him back yet. MUST. BE. PATIENT. A week from today I'll be on his back. Or writing a blog post about how he almost launched BRH trainer and that I won't be on him for a while.

21 comments:

  1. I'm dying at that last paragraph. Im also seriously envious of your training abilities. I can't wait for you to be riding again so I can get more fun baby horse exercises. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm really excited to get back on him and actually start working on something.

      Delete
  2. Even if your schedule doesn't work out, I think it's an awesome plan. Question: I thought you had to have a particular medal before you could try for that medal's bar? I knew the 60% in the 3rd test before you could ride a freestyle. But that would be seriously awesome if you could get all 3 bars too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't looked into the requirements but I can imagine that someone could go get a 60 at like 1-3/2-3/3-3 but never show any other test at those levels and get their bronze bar without their bronze medal but I feel like you'd have to try real hard to get your bars before your medals. Most people I know have their medals but are missing a bar or two.

      Delete
    2. I thought it was more that you could do a first level freestyle if you scored at 1-3, but if you didn't already have your bronze, the score wouldn't count towards your bronze bar.

      Delete
    3. I got curious and searched it, yupp, you have to have the medal first, then you have to go back and get the freestyle scores: "A Musical Freestyle Bar can only be awarded after a rider has earned the respective regular USDF Bronze, Silver or Gold Medals." (from USDF musical freestyle frequently asked questions)

      I had another thought- planning that far out in advance isn't bad. To be honest, I always have the next 2-3 years planned out because I'm goal oriented that aligns to showing, otherwise I feel aimless in my riding. I think your level a year is a good indicator of when to sell- I might give Penn two years at 4th-GP only because I've never been to those levels and we're learning together. It's always been a, well how will you know when it's time to move on? If we're struggling with the level for 2+ years with a good trainer (I'll need a new one for the FEI levels), then it's probably time to find him a schoolmaster home.

      Delete
    4. Wait, I guess you could get the freestyle scores as you level up, but you just wouldn't get the bar until you finish the test medal. (sorry, comment spam this morning! it's what happens when I leave tabs open in chrome) Perhaps Penn wants to do some freestyles cause I am not revisiting first unless I have to!

      Delete
  3. I'm a planner too, but I'm also too worried about changes to plan this far ahead. Good on you though, for at least being realistic with what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found with myself that I don't mind when plans get shifted. Like sure I'd have loved to be showing him Training now and going First this fall like I thought I would be doing, but things changed and I'm okay with it. I consider this all very unlikely but it's fun to look into the future.

      Delete
  4. I like your plan! I am basically a super optimistic person, so it doesn't bother me to plan way ahead, though I'm so disorganized that I usually don't plan at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah I like planning way out like that! I feel like it keeps me on task for the most part and it doesn't bother me too much if the plan doesn't work out. It's just fun to make plans :)

      Delete
  5. What kind of competitive horse swimming awards are available to pleebs like us? I might be interested :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was a thing so badly, TC is basically Michael Phelps.

      Delete
  6. Love the last sentence! In journalism we call that "burying the lede"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I really hope that isn't what happens but it's definitely a possibility.

      Delete
  7. Patience is so hard! Love the trotting picture - and the goals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited for you guys and would love to have your skills and/or be able to work with you to better my own!
    #goals

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a huge planner too.

    I'm excited to hear more about you rehabbing TC :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the way you plan. Optimistic with a solid dash of realism and whimsy. If you need me I'll be over ther doing competitive horse swimming. Except, wait, my horse doesn't do water. Hm. Professional paper chasing here we come!

    ReplyDelete