Thursday, June 16, 2016

A Date and a List

Yesterday I touched base with the people at the rehab center and we made a date for TC's last ultrasound and a date for when TC comes home (pending ultrasound). So on June 28th, TC will get his last ultrasound and on July 6th, TC will (hopefully) come home!

I can't wait to ride this fucking horse I just can't STAND IT

This works out really well, even if it was a week later than I had hoped. I figure the later the better, even if I'm eager to get him home. He's safe where he is, and having him come after the Fourth makes my weekend a lot less stressful (my brother having a big house party = enough stress already, no need to add the pony to that) and lets me use the first few days of the month to move stuff into the barn and get settled before there's an obnoxious pony in the way.

I have a LOT to do before he moves in though, so I have a list:

Boarding
I need to email the barn owner about his boarding situation. The barn is sort of an a la carte barn, so I think I'm going to sign up for one load of shavings a week (one big wheelbarrowful, it's not a ton but it's enough for him) and double feed to start (so four flakes vs the two that they feed) with half grass and half alfalfa, to be moved to 3 grass and 1 alfalfa if he's too buzzy or to 2 grass and 1 alfalfa if he gets fat. He won't get turnout because he's not been given permission for that yet, but BRH trainer will be getting him out every day so that's good. He also won't get the hot walker since I don't think I'm going to trust him on it with the baby TBs.

I know what stall I want, or at least what wing of the barn I want. I want him in a 12x36 stall/paddock combo in this one area where he won't be tempted to jump out. I also need to buy no climb and some wire to make him what will hopefully prevent him from doing the same fucking thing again. If he does manage to climb, I'm going to give them permission to put him in a box stall without my direct permission. Just move him. No climbing.


Tack Room
I don't know where my tack will go. It's kind of a random little place, there are some random tack lockers throughout the property or you can bring your own little locker/shed/trunk/whatever. If there's an open tack room/locker near his stall that I like (unlikely), then I want it, but it's most likely that I'll have to buy my own. It needs to be weatherproof-ish and big enough to hold a saddle rack (hopefully two so one can have pads on it), two big garbage cans for feed, and have some shelving/hooks in it. At first I'll just be bringing my trunk over, which will stay permanently as extra storage, and maybe stealing this one random shed thing from the ranch that is kind of falling apart just to keep my saddle and a freestanding saddle rack in.

Even his shitty canter, I can't wait
Training
I need to talk to BRH trainer, although we sort of already made plans. The idea is to hand him over to the trainer for 30 days, although I'm feeling really bold and strong recently so I'm hoping to be doing mostly lessons and less rides. No offense to BRH trainer, but I want to quickly reestablish the connection and get him thinking about dressage from the get go. BRH trainer is a great dressage rider but um, you know. Regardless of how bold I'm feeling, I want full training, five days a week of lessons or rides. I'd rather be frustrated because I'd rather be riding on my own than be frustrated because my horse bucked me off again. BRH trainer will for sure be the first one on him in the round pen when he comes home, although I really want to ride him on the first day he gets ridden, even if it's just me being led around at the walk.


Feed
I need to buy him his grain (LMF Gentle Balance and Rice Bran, although I'm going to pull him off the Rice Bran and find something else to put him on) and make sure that I have enough of all of his supplements. I really really hope my local feed store has the LMF food, since it's right on the way to the barn. If not then I'll have to get creative about where to pick up grain, maybe on the way home from work. He'll stay on his MSM, the Osteon, and the SmartCalm until it runs out. If the SmartCalm is working, he'll stay on it, but he's for sure coming off the Osteon whenever we get permission from my vet, it's too expensive. After he gets settled, I'll put him on a hoof supplement, but I'm letting myself ignore that for now.

I can just TASTE the connection... wait that's weird
Saddle Fit
At a recent horse show, I found out that my old decrepit Custom saddle can have its tree changed out and be fit to TC! So one of the things that I need to do now that I have a date is to call them and schedule that fitting. I want to schedule it as soon as possible so that I don't have to ride in an illfitting saddle for too long, but I also don't want to be terrified as I try to ride the horse during the fitting. Obviously BRH trainer will be there, so I'll have to schedule it on a day that he's around so I'll have to confirm with him when that will be.


Farrier
I totally don't have someone to trim him yet. Woops. Hopefully he'll get a trim close enough to when he moves where I'll have a bit of time to find one. I can use Rico's shoer, but she isn't a barefoot person. Also I'm kind of a psycho client and don't want to ruin my mom's relationship with her (she shoes all their horses) if it doesn't work out, I like what she does to Rico's feet but I was spoiled by a barefoot trimmer at TC's old barn and want to find someone similar to that person. So I'm looking to find someone else who does barefoot feet. I'm going to ask the BO and BRH trainer who they recommend, as well as a couple friends there who are just as obsessive as I am.

Probably my favorite picture of us, hence it being my facebook
profile picture since September, I'm lazy
I'm so excited guys. SO EXCITED. It's been over six months since I sat on the horse, and it will be about seven when he finally comes back. Seven months is a long time and a lot of things have changed in that time, but what hasn't changed is that I'm SO FUCKING EXCITED to ride my horse. I'm so glad this rehab is almost over. Can't wait to feel that gorgeous trot and that amazing connection. And hopefully I don't come off too many times this summer as he gets back into the swing of things.

34 comments:

  1. So exciting and long overdue! Fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It simultaneously feels like it's been forever and like it happened just yesterday! I'm just glad it's coming to an end.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Me too! Once he has a brain you have to come see him!

      Delete
  3. You must be SO excited. Seven months is a LONG time! I hope all goes smoothly with no shenanigans :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for the same thing! I'm really banking on him being so happy to be outside in a paddock and able to be ridden that he decides to be a good horse who doesn't buck or bolt. I don't think that will be the case though, hence the trainer!

      Delete
  4. This is so exciting! Can't wait to hear all about his transition and your new adventures back in the tack with TC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so eager to get back on, I just need to not make any stupid decisions in the beginning lol

      Delete
  5. Yay! Fingers crossed for excellent ultrasound results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really hoping everything goes smoothly. His leg looks really good and as far as I know, he's been sound.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that's like next week practically! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20 pony-less days left! I have a countdown on my phone lol

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks!! I can't wait to have him home, it's been sooo long.

      Delete
  8. It's so close. A bunch of people at my barn have bought storage cabinets off Craigslist to keep their tack and grain in. They sell them at Home depot, but they're super expensive so check out CL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I'll definitely look into that. I'm hoping to stop in this weekend or next to talk to them about the tack room thing. In some ways having to buy my own would be better so that I can be picky about what I get.

      Delete
  9. You could do a lot of things in 7 months. You have been so patient I've admired your tenacity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I've been the opposite of patient but I'm glad that didn't come across here :P

      Delete
  10. eeeeee it's happening so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAYAYAYAYA!!!! Baby Hippo's coming hommeeeeee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's going to be so disappointed at the lack of water for him to play in at the barn!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Definitely! I'm making a solid effort to contain it but I really just want to press fast forward.

      Delete
  13. I am so overjoyed for you!!!
    Keeping everything crossed for a smooth transition and minimum falls (preferably none obvs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yah I'm hoping for minimal falls too, noooo bucking.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Just 20 more days! It seems unreasonably close at this point.

      Delete
  15. So exciting! You will back on your handsome steed very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woohoo!! I'm so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YASS! I can't wait for him to come back

    ReplyDelete