| Pictures from a recent trail ride because I'm boring |
He was actually kind of lazy. I had begun to think that I must have been so silly when I was riding him to think that he was a lazy horse- he's so responsive and forward and... hah, nope. The more dressage Rico does, the less he wants to do dressage, and I think he's hit that point.
I think I need to take him somewhere new this week to entertain him, so I'm working on that- we did do a trail ride on Monday, which he appreciated.
Because Rico isn't the king of his own castle, despite his own beliefs, we still did dressage through the laziness. He was fine. He wasn't as easy to get going, but he didn't try to stop all the time like he used to. We actually did get some good work, he just didn't seem as into it. I don't blame him, most of the ride was working on the basics.
| This pad is my life, I thought I had lost it (or Tracey would have been tortured with it) but I finally found it! |
I then went to work in sitting trot and noped out of that after the first boob slam reminded me that I hadn't put on a sports bra that day. Woops. So we went back to canter and did some tempi changes.
Rico has clean changes usually, but he's been getting lazy about them as I let more people on him. It's no one's fault, just that as the aid becomes less precise (due to leg length and just differences in timing), he thinks he can be less precise. He cannot. He learned that again on Sunday and then was awesome. We did some fours, threes, and ended with five twos.
| Love this place |
| Treeeee |
We also worked on doing this out of the counter canter, which is harder for him. His counter canter isn't as strong as his true canter, so walking out of it usually entices me to do the one thing you should not do in a downward transition- do literally anything. So I worked on using my seat and leg a bit better to help him balance in the counter canter and get the downward better.
| Such a pretty place |
| The dog loves attention from anyone |
Oh well, he isn't a huge fan of jumping anyway and neither am I. We ended with some posting trot work (I kind of forgot that posting doesn't hurt boobs earlier) and worked on getting a little more power coming from the right hind. He felt only slightly uneven, pretty good for a horse who is a year and a half out from his last injections. We did a little shoulder-in, but mostly just trotted around working on connection and keeping me slightly in the back seat. Boring, but necessary.
| Rico's girlfriend right as she struck the fence and I got whipped around in a spin |
I love riding him again! It will soon be over when I get TC back because I'll refit the saddle and not have as much time/energy to ride him, but I'm so enjoying this last month or so of riding him more.
| Waiting patiently to go in his stall after getting yelled at for thinking about trotting out of the barn |
That pad is amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's probably my favorite one! I really want more, but I think the company stopped making them :(
Deletesnakes errywhere!!! also i love the point about doing literally nothing in a downward transition... maybe that's been my mistake all long? lol
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't work on all horses but definitely does on Rico! He really would prefer his rider do nothing in ALL movements though so that he can go home and eat some food.
DeleteThat barn tho! <3 <3 <3
ReplyDeleteIt's a pretty amazing place! I feel fairly immune to it after having Rico there for a few years now. But every now and then when I drive in I'm like "oh damn that's a nice barn" lol
DeleteI can't wait to visit you so I can drool over that lovely barn! And your lovely horse too, of course.:P
ReplyDeleteYes come keep me company while I'm house sitting! And ride my horse of course :D
DeleteI feel like the section on c/w txs was written just for me. THANK YOU! I will try to keep all that in my head next time.
ReplyDeleteAlso, boob slam is my favorite new phrase, if my least favorite thing about forgetting the proper clothes.
Rico is the king of teaching canter to walk transitions, they're so damn easy on him. But then they sort of ruin them for me on other horses since then I don't support the horse enough!
DeleteOh where was the pad lost to!? Haha poor rico just wants to get out of doing most work but you torture the dear! That picture of Ruby and Rico slays me :P
ReplyDeleteI found it in a pile of jumping pads in a shed! I was soooo excited to find it, it's the best thing ever. Rico and Ruby are BFFs, too bad they were locked up when you were here, it's hilarious to see Ruby with Rico, she loves him so much- every time she sees him, she crawls up to him and lays down like that.
DeleteThat pad is awesome!
ReplyDeleteExcuse me as I wipe the drool off my keyboard from that barn!
ReplyDelete