| Love this view |
I did at least opt for a different loop than we normally go on. This one was slightly longer and involved a lot more rolling hills. On our last ride we did just over four miles in the hills and then did the two mile loop on flat ground. The loop yesterday was almost six miles, so I figured he could handle it. I know to endurance people six miles isn't much, but Rico is older, has joint problems, and has always struggled with his breathing and endurance.
But he handled it SUPER well and even galloped up the last hill.
We had a great time. We climbed to the top of the first hill and Rico trotted and cantered about half of it. At the top, he quietly turned toward the tree that I like and I had to sort of herd him onto the other trail. He wasn't that curious, since we've been down this way before. Another right, then left turn and we were on a brand new trail (for us) heading down into a valley. He was STOKED.
| Such a pretty place, despite being kind of brown |
| A bit narrow but Rico was fine |
Trail trials seem super fun though. I love dressage but it can be stressful to me with all the expectations I put on myself. I don't care if we suck at trail trials. I don't know much about them (maybe someone who reads this blog can enlighten me), but based on what I've read, they're basically short trail rides (4-6 miles) with obstacles that you're judged on. Some of it is horse behavior/movements (standing tied, standing when being mounted, leading, etc), some of it is horse tolerance (not being spooky at bikes/strollers/joggers), and some of it is actual obstacles (walking over stuff, opening gates, etc). Rico would rule at this!
But alas, maybe next year, and maybe with TC one day too!
| Solid trail horse right here |
| Heading down to the loop |
We got ourselves onto this tiny trail that I wouldn't have felt comfortable with on the sideways spooker (TC), but Rico just trucked up and around the corners with no problems. At one point he almost careened off a switch back by thinking it didn't turn, woops.
I can really see how cross training and getting this horse to do different things in his life would have been better for him. I don't regret keeping him in a glass case, he very easily could get hurt jumping or trail riding or any of the other fun things I waited to do with him in his retirement. Keeping him safe was what guaranteed (as best as I could have hoped) that I made it to GP on an older soft-tissue-injury-laden animal. But I think in a perfect world, Rico would have done a different thing every day. Trail riding, jumping, fox hunting, driving, sidesaddle, whatever. And sure, a bit of dressage.
| I led him down the final hill to take weight off his coffins |
| Rico hates that he's my horse sometimes, look at that beautifully developed underneck lol |
| Rico isn't the best to get panoramic shots on but this one turned out pretty good! |
You ride in the prettiest areas - I'm so jealous!!
ReplyDeleteOHHHHH IDEA. Does USEF/USDF allow sidesaddle? You should totally learn sidesaddle on Rico then do a 2nd/3rd level test or something easy enough for his retired butt.
ReplyDeleteThe trail trials sound fun! And Harvey Bear is stunning, even if it is mostly brown.
So jealous of funployment...
ReplyDeleteAlso if Rico ever disappears it was not me. :)
Those Trail Trials sound fun! Now I am off to go Google if there are any near me...
ReplyDeleteWhat gorgeous trails! And Rico sounds like he'd be a pro at the trail trials. You should doooo eet!
ReplyDeleteSo jealous of your beautiful trails! I enjoy reading about your rides on Rico- you both sound so relaxed and happy!
ReplyDeleteYESSSSS SIDESADDLE!
ReplyDeleteHa Rico looks just like my mare in that last pic. Under neck and all. Lol
ReplyDeleteAwh Rico <3 I love his judgmental glare
ReplyDelete