I rode Tango, a super sweet thoroughbred gelding who I had ridden before. I warmed up and put Tango through his paces, talked to Kate a bit about the second toolkit stuff I had played with (since Tango would rather not use his right hind leg thank you very much), and then came over to do the realignment!
![]() |
| Pony: looks good. Rider: needs realignment (also gets left behind when coming down from sitting the lengthened trot, which is what this picture is depicting, he looks good though!) |
From there we did a few resistances. Kate put her hand on my heel and had me push back against it. Then said no, like really do it. I was. This means that my backline is SUPER weak. Sure enough, when she put her hand on my toe and had me push forward against it, I was much stronger. This goes back to the Mary clinic when I was doing this exercise in the chair. I could feel my back line only up to the middle of my thigh, while I could feel my front line almost all the way to my collarbone. Interesting.
Typically a weak backline can be seen in a rider who wants to sit in a chair seat. I definitely have had this problem in the past. But years of being told to get my leg under me have led me to sort of artificially keep my leg back. This whole ordeal is not made easier by the fact that unless I am standing or on a horse (which, let's be honest, I work an office job with a long commute... it's not often), I have a long loose backline and a shortened front line. Even sitting here writing right now, my legs are out in front of me, my back is curved, I'm leaning down. And then I'm like, hmm I wonder why my backline is so weak.
![]() |
| Not as obvious in the canter but still there |
It's not as apparent in the canter other than in my propensity to look down, which I feel like I'd do no matter what. It's not even all that apparent in the rising trot where you really see it is in the sitting trot. And it's most obvious on TC.
I've mentioned before that TC is one of the biggest, loosest movers I've ever ridden. I remember riding him as a three year old being like "welp if I get this one I'll sell him before I get to Second level," but over time his trot did get a little bit reined in. He's learned to shut it down nicely if you get in his way, but I don't want that.
Think of a horse's movement like wind and my weak loose backline like a heavy sail. If I'm on a small mover, the sail maybe flaps a tiny bit but I can generally keep it looking somewhat taught. If I'm on a moderate size mover, the sail probably has a good curve to it, but maybe not too obvious still. Then I get on TC and he hits my backline like a hurricane, sending it flying backwards.
Luckily for me, Tango is not a small mover, but he's certainly no TC. He was enough to get my sail ruffling in the wind but didn't create the above position like TC does. So it was enough to get me a bit out of whack (so I could feel the muscles I needed to engage to get me in the right position) but not enough to really make it impossible to figure out what to do.
I started to sit the trot and Kate told me that I was still too far back. So I brought my shoulders forward. And I was still too far back. Even more forward. Still too- FINE I will LEAN forward with all my might. Yep, that's it, that's vertical. It felt insanely forward. And there's really not that much of a difference. I have video but haven't gotten the video up to make gifs out of. But it really didn't feel very good, but it looked MUCH better.
Tango let me sit his trot for quite a long while like that (all the while being reminded to give me an even place to sit, poor thing) and then I came out on Wednesday and Thursday determined to replicate it on TC.
![]() |
| Riding is at least fun even when it's really fucking hard |
I failed miserably. I need an actual TC lesson soon (the clinic next weekend filled up and I'm so sad), but I did my best. I managed to get myself in the right place shoulder-wise, but then I'd pop up off my seat bones, or my seat bones would be pointed backwards and my back would be hollow. So then I'd try to get my backline on without shortening it and it'd lead to me pressing backwards against it, which led to me rounding my back too much and getting left behind.
Meanwhile TC the saint is just trotting around like "hmm rider seems real weird today, whatevs" which he would NOT have done last year, so yay for grown up ponies.
I'd love to say that I had a huge breakthrough and am now sitting TC's trot like a boss. I am not. I left the barn on Thursday with a sore lower back for the first time in a very long time and feeling a tiny bit deflated. I know this is going to be absolutely key to access his fabulous trot one day, but today is not that day. Tomorrow looks bad too. Maybe Sunday, but probably not. It will take time and effort. And a lot of exercises to strengthen the muscles in my back so I can actually use them.
And perhaps a shorter commute? Or being able to work remotely once a week? Orrrr not. Okay I'll work with what I've got.



This makes so much sense, and I have the exact same problem. But mmkay, did Mary say how we chair-sitting-commuters can strengthen our backlines when not in the saddle? Because I think that's going to be a thing.
ReplyDeleteOMG as soon as you said "even now I'm sitting with my legs forward...." TOTALLY my position as I'm sitting in my office chair reading this. I absolutely straightened lol I just need to remember to keep doing that!
ReplyDeleteI'm always too far forward and my front side is too tight, especially across my shoulders and my hips. Wish I could give some of my forward lean to you and then we'd both be perfect :p
ReplyDeleteMakes total sense. I'm much the same way (I am guessing, would love to have someone actually work with me on realignment).
ReplyDeleteOooh I need this so much, too. Also I am addicted to chair seat, and have been since I was born. Ugh. (Yay Tango!)
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm right there with you! I feel like I'm leaning forward when I'm right in alignment, and my brain thinks I can't sit properly when I'm in that position. But then I go there anyway, and voila! (er, sorta, I mean, it certainly takes some focus to maintain)
ReplyDeleteThis really makes so much sense to me! I have the opposite problem but I can imagine the mirror image of this and how I should change my position.
ReplyDeleteCan you invest in a standing desk? Or a saddle seat chair? (Google for an image). Either should help. I try and stand half the day at work nowadays and it has made a big difference.
ReplyDelete