To be able to ride those tests though, we kind of need to look at movements. I haven't done much work on movements since early October when he was schooling some of the Second level stuff too. We kind of casually throw them in here and there, but most of my work since then has been on getting his connection and impulsion up to where it is now and I'm feeling like he's going around like a pretty solid First level horse now. We're even playing a touch with increased engagement and collection.
With good basics comes good movements, so I wasn't surprised to find out on this last week that the leg yields and lengthenings weren't too bad!
| It was windy and cold on Thursday morning and he was a huge dork about it |
Thursday I decided to do the lengthenings sitting and that helped a LOT in keeping him over his back and into the bridle. We got some really amazing moments where those loose shoulders came up and out more like a medium. It was super cool! But his tendency is still to suck back and drop his back, so we have a lot of work to do until it gets really solid. Just gotta keep plugging away!
| He's so cute sometimes |
Just like the lengthenings, the main issue (and forever the main issue with this horse) is getting him to stretch more into contact and remain loose in the back. Connection and impulsion. When TC can really press into the bridle in the leg yield, and really push from his hind legs to step over, I'm sure that we'll get to that same point in the leg yield that we are at in the shoulder-in. I think that the lack of bend in the leg yield is tricky for him since it's so easy for him to get stacked up in the straightness, it's similar to the struggle in the lengthening. But we can school the lengthening on the circle for a while, but the leg yield inherently is straight so doing leg yields on the circle won't help much. So we'll just take our time!
| Destroying stuff as usual |
But just like the trot extension, I think his canter extension is going to be
| So obnoxious, he always does this and I think he is going to yank his shoe off, ugh |
I'm still working mostly on all the Mary stuff and on TC's connection. Just in the last three weeks since the clinic, everything feels so much better. My instability tracking left is getting much better and TC is really stepping up in that direction now that I'm giving him what he needs. There's still a lot to do, but I'm trying really hard and things are starting to feel more normal. I definitely want eyes on the ground soon and am on a waiting list for a clinic coming up, but mirrors and letting TC tell me when I've got it (or really don't) will have to do for another week or two!
Sounds like awesome progress! Silly TC lol He makes up for his shenanigans by being cute ;D
ReplyDeleteA show is super exciting! I can't wait for you to show omg :D
ReplyDelete