Fast forward eight or so years, and I was teaching/riding full time and flunking out of college because who has time for that (don't worry, I now have my Master's degree). I said fuck it to college, and dropped out to press forward full time.
Fast forward a little while longer, and I was super burnt out. I wasn't good at the business side of it, felt major impostor syndrome so wasn't good at advertising, and had a few accidents on client horses that led me back to school. Through the rest of my undergrad I kept my full time job, but coming into grad school I slowly wittled down my students- not taking on new ones- until last year I had my last one leave for college after riding at the PSG level (see, I got better) and I was all done.
| The neighbor cows are back at my parents' place, I love them |
I do miss it sometimes though, and I feel so incredibly lucky that Kate has brought me out to her barn to teach a bit. And that's what I was doing all day Sunday!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Kate's students are super fun to teach! Their basics are solid, they take instruction really well, and they don't seem to mind when I make them work really REALLY hard because I'm past the point of wanting people to like me when I'm teaching them. Not mean, just, uh demanding.
It was a super good day. Nine lessons was really ambitious and my voice hurts SO MUCH, but it was a blast. Pretty much everyone had good lessons, no one cried or fell off, and I only took one pair of stirrups away. Everyone did kind of stay on a 20 meter circle because I'm that trainer, but Kate said she'd let them all off the circle this coming week.
| Kate also lets me jump her ponies in addition to tormenting her children! This was from last winter, I taught a kid on this pony at the clinic and let's just say that the kid was real sticky |
Some themes I found myself repeating were the idea that every movement you do on the horse should improve the horse. It isn't good enough that the transition was quiet or that the horse stayed on the bit, the connection/throughness/etc MUST improve into the next gait. The shoulder-in must improve the horse, the canter to trot transition must improve the horse, and so on. It's hard though! A lot of the time our attention to detail is dependent on what it looks like rather than what it feels like.
I also kept talking about recycling energy. Generating energy with the hind legs, sending that energy over the back, and recycling some of it backwards back to the hind legs with the seat (dependent on how much weight is in the seat vs the thigh) and letting some flow forward to let the horse cover ground and put the horse on the bit. It was really fun with a few riders to play with the different seats and see how the biomechanic of the hind leg changed based on how much energy was being recycled back (more = more carrying, less = more pushing).
![]() |
| I miss riding this guy so much, he was the best lesson horse |
Kate's students sit pretty well so not too many students got drilled on position. One thing I dug into because I had JUST read about it in Academic Horsemanship was the weight in the stirrups. Kate told me that Tracey had told her that there shouldn't be so much weight in the stirrups where someone couldn't tap the stirrups off the rider's foot. I liked that visual. I KNOW I ride a bit shoved into the ankle at times and I was basically projecting as I told a couple kids to pick their feet up and quit shoving the heel down.
I always end up going on and on about the canter mechanic since that was such a hard thing for me to learn. Pull the seat back in the saddle, press the front of your body up to an invisible piece of glass, become a carousel pole with your upper body, follow the oscilation of the neck (or the inside front leg if the neck is stuck) with the elbow swinging, not just opening and closing, provide structure for the horse by tightening in the core and, with a rider who wanted to get their elbow pushed forward, between the shoulder blades.
| This guy not so much, I've had one of my bronze meadlists on him and he wasn't great. He was good for Kate though! |
Teaching is something I miss so so so much about my new life. As much as it's made me so much happier to be focusing completely on TC and not feel so burned out about riding my own horse, I do remember very vividly how much I loved getting up every day and helping improve people's riding. I love my job and love the regular paycheck it provides, if money wasn't an issue, I'd for sure be teaching at least part time. Just enough to scratch that itch but not so much to burn me out.
So once again, major thanks to Kate for not only providing me with the opportunity to teach (including advertising, setting the schedule, and collecting money for me- three things I'm terrible at), but also providing me with SUPER FUN KIDS to teach.

There's a whole blogosphere out here that really, REALLY wants you to go on a cross country teaching tour. PLEASE!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat'd be so fun and so anxiety inducing! lol but it's only a matter of time before work sends me nearby, I'm sure.
DeleteI am glad that have found some fun in the teaching. It sounds like you have a good balance
ReplyDeleteIt's been super fun! I feel like maybe one day I'll step back into it more than once a month or so, but for now I'm just grateful to have friends with awesome students to teach on occasion!
DeleteHi, plz come to Indiana and teach me all of this. I will stay on my 20m circle forever if you request.
ReplyDeleteActually came here to say this, lol. I will fund your trip with Southwest points, feed you, house you, host it, and pay you in Rolex (Not Rolex, dammit) tickets? Me, Karen, Karen's friend Liz, my friend Bryn and Holly are practically already signed up, there, it's half full already :)
DeleteHaha this could work! I'm super busy this fall with traveling for work (just got told I'd be on the east coast AGAIN in November) but I'll definitely have time this winter/next spring!
DeleteFun!!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely makes me miss it a bit!
DeleteIt's great you can get out and do what you love even if it's just a little!
ReplyDeleteIt was so fun! Maybe one day I won't have such a crazy commute/travel schedule and I'll be able to teach more :)
DeleteUm, yes to Carly's cross-country teaching tour!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely would be fun at first but I think I'd have a panic attack after a few days lol best spread that shit out!
DeleteI'd ask you to come to MN too except I'd also suggest you never come to MN so there's that. It would be SO MUCH FUN to take a lesson from you though!!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I have family there! I think... but I've never been there, obviously not close family lol
DeleteUmmmmmm Seattle is way closer to you then some
ReplyDeleteother bloggers......you can yell at me on a 20m circle for an hour at any time. Anytime at all. I'll even take you for food/drinks after....:
I do love Seattle! It appears to be on fire now though lol although that's not much of a change from down here where everything is also on fire.
DeleteKate's students are awesome. They're so nice too. I'm always impressed whenever I meet them.
ReplyDeleteI love them! They're always so sweet and fun, plus they can take a good beating haha
DeleteHello come to KY to teach me please!! It's not a bad commute lol
ReplyDeleteLol! Yep not too far. Actually I looked up how far Kentucky was a few weeks ago for some reason and was shocked to see how far east it is! Did not compute lol my mental map is apparently real weird.
Delete