I really want to end the year at First with TC, as I said a couple posts ago. One way to assure that this happens is to really practice all those movements, and I am doing that. But I do like having TC schooling a full level, if not two, above where he is going to be. The reasons being that I just plain like not feeling stressed at shows about the tests (it's a welcome change from the GP, which I feel like stresses you out even if you're super prepared) and that TC is not yet totally reliable in the show ring, so having the three tests above where we're at feel doable at home gives me confidence that we can make up for any antics.
![]() |
| Still behind my leg in shows, ugh |
As I said when we rode with Jeremy, the shoulder-in is surprisingly great. All movements should improve the horse, and I truly think we've reached that place in the shoulder-in, where it's not only technically correct, it improves the collection and connection in the trot. I find myself riding it not just to proclaim that we're schooling Second level, but to work on getting him more through on the right rein and to increase the engagement of either hind leg.
The haunches-in is not yet at a place where the trot improves. TC is so short backed that the angle has been tough for him to maintain. The longer the back, the less crossover is necessary to really get the horse on four tracks. TC has to work a little harder. But he IS doing it, just struggling to maintain impulsion while doing it. So that's a major to do on our list.
![]() |
| I love the lift he's getting in his shoulders |
I'm riding a lot more walk to canter transitions and they are at this point a bit hit or miss. He is getting the transition without trot steps pretty regularly, but does seem convinced that he needs to pull himself into it with his forehand rather than sit and push with his hind end. So I've been correcting that each time and he's figuring it out. When he gets himself really amped up, we get really good ones, but I want him to be able to do them easily without it being a big ordeal.
The canter to walk transition can be very good as well, but can also just slam into the ground. It's another one that generally doesn't have trot steps, but it doesn't mean it's a GOOD transition. That isn't the only requirement. I find that he likes to bury his front legs into the dirt a bit more than I want him to and he doesn't pick up a walk I'd feel confident doing much with afterward. So that's definitely something we're working on too.
The turns on the haunches are good. His walk is still very quiet though and the turns on the haunches feel very deliberate to me, like he has to think really hard and take slow steps. They're biomechanically correct, but it's like someone put the horse on slow motion. I've been working to get the walk marching a lot more now, which has been helping that some. He hasn't offered to stick or step out, just wants to go slow. That's for sure a confidence thing and I can see it disappearing very soon.
![]() |
| Definitely got the uphill balance confirmed |
The counter canter feels GREAT right now. He's figuring it out and even picked up the counter canter (when I asked for it) the other day. The only big BUT in the counter canter work is that we haven't been in the court with it yet (other than the loops from 1-3). I wanted to make sure that he really understood counter canter on the larger figures that I can make in the bigger arenas while they were still easy vs trying to push him for small figures AND learn a new concept. Now that he feels more confident in the work, I'm going to try it in the dressage court.
The halt and rein back are probably the weakest now. I keep slacking on even just working on our centerline halts. And I really haven't touched the rein backs since we had our foray into rearing problems this last winter. That's probably something I will do a lot of in hand over this winter, then install next year. I really don't want to fuck up our relationship just for the sake of training.
The small figures are also weak now too. He's not strong enough to bring his canter back to a small enough step to do a 10 meter circle yet. The trot circles are happening and they're fine but I don't think they improve the trot just yet.
![]() |
| Such a good egg |
So that's where we're at with some Second level stuff! Still far from being solid at the level, though honestly I could probably put him through a test without completely embarrassing ourselves. Given our trouble with the canter in the show ring, that obviously won't be happening. But all the Second level canter work will really help build strength for First and hopefully we'll address that issue soon!




He has come SUCH a long way. You should be very proud <3
ReplyDeleteHaha your description of GOOD C/W transitions... I feel your pain. They're kinda hard.
ReplyDeleteThe devil's transition!!!!
DeleteIt seems like you could make rein back a fun game for him at some point, which would help avert rearing problems. If he thinks it's this neat trick he gets to show off, I bet he'd be like "look how good I do this rein back. I'm so good at rein back! I'll rein back right into the next county!!!!!!"
ReplyDeleteOk I see the problem with that also.