| Wanting to get going! |
There are some less good reasons for it too. Rico isn't as enthused about riding as TC is, so a lot of the time he doesn't seem to want to be ridden. He's also out of shape and not at all strong like he used to be, which is a constant reminder that he's getting older. I'm scared of that. But honestly, I don't want to regret not spending every chance I have with him. So I decided to do something with him this last weekend for sure.
But like I said, he's always less than enthused about riding at home. And it makes me sad/frustrated/full of feelings to have to MAKE him walk down the road. So on Sunday I threw him in the trailer, and Sunny (my mom came too, yay family trail rides), and headed out to the trails.
| SO EXCITED |
Rico obviously can't climb a bunch of hills, but the local trail facility has a flat loop that's a couple miles long. So we headed out there.
Rico was HILARIOUS about the trailer. I packed a bareback pad and his hackamore, then got him out and brushed him. He was so excited. He knew that the trailer was packed so he was wiggly in the cross ties and eager to just GET IN THE TRAILER. Once as Sunny was out too, he was just beside himself. He was pissed when Sunny got in first and tried to crowd my mom as she was coming out. I had to hold him back like crazy.
Once there, I unclipped him and he immediately ran backwards to the end of the trailer to get out... the door wasn't open yet. Hold your horses, Rico. I quickly tacked him up and hopped on and he would NOT stand still to let my mom get Sunny ready. I let him walk around the trailer a bunch and then we were off!
| Trail along the pathway |
After the loop, we thought about taking Rico up to the second gate, which involved a bit of climbing. I decided against that, since I wanted to keep it easy and fun for Rico. The horse is the sort of horse who will literally work himself until he falls down (has happened a few times) so while he probably would have been okay, I wanted to be really careful. Next time we can try a little more maybe.
| He kept wandering off the path |
TC is super fun, and my ride on him on Sunday was incredible, but Rico will always be my heart horse. I'm grateful for every day I get to spend with him!
All the feels for that nostalgic sass moment <3
ReplyDeleteGlad you got to go out with him! I think the retired ones remember their fancy lives before and miss it, even if they're not strong enough/fit enough/sound enough to do what they used to. Keeping it to a level that's safe and fun for them can be a challenge tho, and definitely somewhat bittersweet for us.
ReplyDeleteSo cool to get to take him out and it sounds like he had so much fun :)
ReplyDelete