If you follow me on instagram but don't talk to me in person, I'm sorry. I posted a picture of Rico at the equine hospital, basically didn't explain what had happened, then took off to Portland and ignored it. I hate it when people do that, but then I also didn't want to have to go into all this detail on social media. So I was one of those vague people.
| Such a skinny old man these days |
Essentially, what I posted about on that Monday holds true- Rico is not getting any worse. But his fever has to be managed by bute and he is on an intense amount of antibiotics and isn't getting better. This made the vet doubt her finding that he had Internal Pigeon Fever, or think that maybe the internal abscess had burst and now his abdomen was filling up with pus. Great.
So she recommended an abdominal ultrasound down at the hospital. The hospital is about 45 minutes away from the ranch, so Rico headed down there midday Wednesday and I followed to help out. Rico likes my mom a lot, but there's a difference in his behavior when I'm around and I wanted to be there for him as best I could during my busy week off.
| So cute |
After working with TC for so long, who has a lot of apprehension and nerves about new places, I laughed as Rico directed our exploring. There's no spook in that horse. He dragged me out the gate and started heading down the road to the highway. Like I had to tell him no, we can't go on the road, this is a real road, not the private road you live on. We turned around and he got sassy because I don't WANT to go back there, there could be cool stuff over HERE. He tried to avoid the gate by zipping past it at a trot to get to the other side of the driveway so he could go explore there, but then the vet drove in (as I'm being dragged around by a sassy and very sick 21 year old horse) so I had to pull him into the clinic.
| The second he's better, were going back here |
We followed the vet toward the exam room, Rico's positive attitude hiding the horrific and possibly deadly infection hiding inside his belly. He looks terrible- he's skinny, extra furry, completely under-muscled, but he was SO happy to be in a new place. During the initial exam (draw blood, heart rate, breathing, temperature), Rico heard a goat and really wanted to go see what was going on. He's a good boy though so stuck by me mostly.
Rico was running a temperature of about 102. Not as high as he's been (104) but still high enough where the vet didn't want to sedate him. He asked whether I thought Rico would walk into the exam room, get in the stocks, and be okay throughout the procedure with no sedation. I was like um yes he's the world's most perfect horse and you can do literally anything to him and he'll just rest a foot. Man I miss this horse.
So off we went. Rico loaded into the stocks with no problem, they closed the big doors so he was in the dark, doused him in alcohol, and started ultrasounding. He whinnied a couple of times and shuffled around once, but other than that he stood stock still, looking back at the vet like wtf man what are you doing or letting me kiss his nose.
Can we pause for a moment to think of the utter chaos and homicide that would occur if I tried to get TC to do that? I think he would have destroyed EVERYTHING and jumped out the window to get away. Horse will NOT be contained.
| Not the best smile-r but he does it when I make him |
The idea is that clearly Rico's bugs (what he called the bacterial infection) weren't responding well to the antibiotics. If we just experiment with antibiotics, it might take a long time to get him to be better, which means more time for him to develop other issues (Stretch got hepatitis). Each antibiotic takes 10 days to two weeks to work, so we're looking at months of just keeping him stable like this as we switch antibiotics. OR we can take some of those bugs, grow them in a lab, then put all the different antibiotics on them and see which one kills them most effectively.
Sure enough, the fluid was cloudy and full of bacteria. This explains why he isn't getting better as fast as he should. BUT the bacteria was NOT Internal Pigeon Fever. It was a different bacteria, one that is found in plants, so Rico must have eaten something?
... What... The abscess is CLEARLY Internal Pigeon Fever. But it's not leaking into his abdomen like we thought, it's a totally different bacteria.
So what this means is: Rico has two different raging infections inside his body that could kill him.
The good news is that they did grow the bugs from the secondary infection, determine what antibiotics are best to fight it, and Rico is now on those antibiotics. He is also not spiking fevers anymore, which is amazing news.
| Just want to see this happy face staring at me just like this soon |
Obviously I'm happy he's doing better, but it's also never ever good news to hear that your horse has not one but TWO deadly infections inside of him.
So we just keep hoping and I just keep giving him hugs and telling him that he's got this.
Was Rico jealous of TC's vet bills and decided to one up him? The is a scary and crappy situation to be in. I'm glad that you were able to get a treatment plan worked out. *Hugs*
ReplyDeleteBoth of them LOVE the vet. I fear the day they learn to use the telephone and can call the vet themselves.
DeleteOh my god, poor Rico and poor you 😔 at least you have a more complete picture of what's going on now and can attack it with the correct antibiotics!
ReplyDeleteThat's what we're hoping! He's getting IV antibiotics every day and hasn't spiked a fever in a couple of days!
DeleteHoly shit. Praying for a speedy recovery now that you know exactly what you're dealing with!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteGood lord. At least you guys know exactly what's wrong, and have access to a facility that can find out. I'm glad he's on the upswing! Hopefully he stays that way.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I was so glad that the hospital was able to get him in so fast.
DeleteThose antibiotic resistant bugs are super scary! Sending lots of hugs and prayers that Rico kicks those bacteria to the curb!
ReplyDeleteI know it's been really scary with these damn bugs, and to find out there are two different types, ughhhh.
Deleteugh i'm so sorry to read this Megan, you must be so stressed out! seems like the vet team has a solid grasp of where things stand and how to keep Rico moving forward in his recovery. hang in there!!
ReplyDeleteI'm just glad nothing else (other than both horses) is going terribly wrong in my life. I feel like if this had happened last year, when I was at my awful job, I'd be a lot more of a mess!
DeleteJeepers. I am glad he is doing better now - how scary for everyone involved!
ReplyDeleteThanks! Yah he's had us all really worried.
DeleteSending many jingles for Rico!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteApparently, if you're Rico and you're gonna be sick, you're gonna do it right and get all the sick at once. Jingles for a speedy recovery!
ReplyDeleteMy horses don't ever seem to do "casually lame" or "casually sick" lol they love the vet!
DeleteOh wow, how stressful :( Glad you have some answers. Sending good vibes to you and your boy. <3
ReplyDeleteThanks :) it's been pretty rough but I'm hoping we're heading toward recovery.
DeleteWhat a stressful time! :( Happy you got some answers. Fingers crossed that things work themselves out soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks, I really hope we're out of the worst part of this whole ordeal.
DeleteHow crazy!! Hopefully this latest round of antibiotics knocks things out once and for all!
ReplyDeleteI'm so ready to have this horse back! I really hope we're on the final upswing before he's all better (well, I mean it takes like 4 months to clear, but eventually you're fairly certain that you aren't going to lose them).
DeleteWow, that sounds completely terrifying!!
ReplyDeleteIt's been a rough six or so weeks!
DeleteOh my goodness, all my fingers and toes are crossed for Rico!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm really hoping this is the end of the scary part and that we're just working to kill the infections from now on.
DeleteTerrifying. Kind of fascinating, too, but mostly terrifying. Thinking about you!
ReplyDeleteYah it's really weird, they don't normally see two raging infections at the same time! No wonder he was feeling so terrible. He's feeling better now though, he actually did a few steps of power walking (his norm when coming in from or going out to the pasture) yesterday. Slowly but surely getting my horse back!
DeleteWhat a trooper! I'm thinking of him (and you)
ReplyDeleteThanks! He's the best horse, definitely not his time to go just yet.
DeleteUgh! 2 infections!!!?!?!? Rico stop putting people into panic attacks. I'm glad they found out what the second infection is, and I hope both get cleared up and he's back to good health soon
ReplyDeleteI know! He never does anything half-assed I guess...
DeleteThat is NUTS! Gosh, here's hoping he starts to feel better soon <3
ReplyDeleteHoly crap!!! Sending good thoughts your way. I hope things start improving soon!
ReplyDelete