| Haven't taken many pictures of him since I made the decision :/ trying to detach is hard, he's so sweet |
In many ways, he has been better than expected with the rehab, especially in comparison to how he was last year. He isn't standing in his stall pawing like he was last time, and he's actually handle-able by me.
But he's obviously kind of an idiot, and all last week that was getting worse. I walked him Tuesday and he was okay. We had a lot of dragging me around and biting. Then he saw a bunny in front of him. It saw him too and it ran away from him. He positively GALLOPED toward the bunny and I stopped him, so he reared over me. Okay.
Then Wednesday I couldn't get him out because it was raining sideways so I just fed him and left.
Thursday I walked him in the covered arena by ourselves. Things were good until they weren't and he took off with me again. I could barely keep my footing and certainly couldn't stop him. He ran all the way across the arena from the far corner and nearly out the gate. And that's when I let him have it.
I laid into him and made him do a bunch of lateral work and reining back. Any time he threatened to bolt, he got shot backwards. This made him a lot easier to handle! He was still a dingbat in the cross ties when we got back though, ugh.
Friday I couldn't go to the barn because I had stuff to do after work (this last week I was in early every day so no pony time in the morning), so he ended up having yet another day off. Saturday I went out to the barn in the morning expecting a really awful horse to have to lead around. I was dreading it.
| The creek has been flowing ever since the storms started! |
Now, on Friday I had watched that video that was going around about Walter the perfect horse. TC is basically... the opposite of Walter. Even if Walter couldn't be ridden, Walter would find a good home because Walter is a very sweet, calm, reliable, well trained animal. TC is not... even close to being Walter.
With TC coming six years old this year, I can't use the baby horse excuse anymore. And it's on me, I've been using the "he's slow to mature" and "he's just young" excuse a lot recently. I just feel bad for him. I feel bad that he's been basically injured/on rehab since he was four years old. I feel bad that he's been locked in a stall and unable to play with other horses (he does now have a neighbor though! They can touch noses at least). I feel bad that he can't be turned out or jumped or trail ridden. I feel bad that he makes me nervous and I'm sure having a nervous owner hasn't been fun.
So Saturday I took TC out and put him in the cross ties. I started to pull his mane and he started wiggling. I grabbed my whip and his lead rope and as long as he was standing stock still, I just happily trimmed his mane and gave him pets and told him how good he was. When he would wiggle, try to bully me with his shoulder, try to bite me, or try to yank at the cross ties, he got told that this was NOT okay.
By the end of me pulling his mane, he was standing perfectly still, not moving a muscle, and resting a foot.
Our entire walk was downright pleasant. There were two incidents- one where I asked him to rein back and he reared, so he got told NOT to do that while he was in the air; the other where he bit me and I SMACKED him for it and ran him backwards. After that, nothing. Just quietly walking. Even when something spooked him in the spooky area. He just flipped an ear at the scary thing, flipped an ear at me, and chewed.
The same thing happened on Sunday. It was cold, windy, and threatening to rain- typically weather that would send him over the edge. He only tried to bully me once in the cross ties and we just had one incident on our walk when I had him do a turn on the forehand and he said no but I said YES and he did it.
| It bums me out to go through these pictures but I don't have enough media for blog posts! |
Obviously this is just two days, and he might push back against me and it will be worse. But for now, I feel better about how this whole thing is going. Fingers crossed he continues to be a good boy for his rehab so that when he does move to pasture, he's more likely to stay sound. If only I could explain that to him!
There have been so many times that I have wanted to be able to explain to Stinker that life could be much easier...
ReplyDeleteI wish I could tell him that he would be in pasture in no time if he just stayed quiet! I need to rehab the leg first so he isn't lame for life! Ugh. Hopefully cracking down on the ground work will help with it though.
DeleteI so feel you on the baby horse excuses, my young horses are almost five and I feel myself saying "oh, but she/he is just a baby still". Definitely a reminder for me to raise my expectations!
ReplyDeleteBe good in the pasture TC! Make good decisions! :)
Yah I was so worried about destroying his amazing work ethic by beating on him too much that I forgot to train the horse! The young/reactive/complicated horse excuse is easy to fall into. Now we have boundaries set and today was the best day yet!
DeleteBeing a bossy horse mom is so hard, but I'm glad it seems to be working for TC!
ReplyDeleteSometimes I think about how many horse problems we could solve if we could just explain things to them, and it makes me sad that I am not Dr. Doolittle! Glad TC is tolerating his rehab well, hopefully things keep improving!
ReplyDeleteI'm really hoping this rehab goes smoothly both for the sake of his injury and for the sake of his ground work training. If he can't be ridden, he at least has to be perfect on the ground.
Deleteugh what a shitty situation all around... but that's a super promising sign tho that he has seemed more comfortable and relaxed tho! i mean. every horse is different - isabel didn't respond super duper well to authoritarian leadership, but bali totally did. he appreciated being told exactly what his place was bc then he didn't have to think about it any more. and who knows, maybe TC is into a rougher and tougher kinda relationship? (lol)
ReplyDeleteI was so reluctant to try bc he definitely wouldn't have been okay with this a year ago! He can get claustrophobic and will bust through his handlers if he feels trapped. I've been really careful to always give him a place to go and so far (knock on wood), he's only had a couple of instances of escape/avoidance behavior and they haven't been that bad. I really hope he's settling into letting me be in charge. Already today he looked to me when something scared him and when I gave him something to do, he chewed. Last week we would have been flying away from it!
DeleteYeah sometimes the kid gloves just have to come off.
ReplyDeleteThey are off and my spikey black ones are on, muahahaha
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteNothing I want to say seems right, reading and re-reading some of your more recent posts. But I'm crossing my fingers that TC makes good choices and I wish I could send him some of the mental stability and grown-upness my mare has recently found. She was no TC, but she was a hellchild and made me cry a lot, too.
ReplyDeleteUgh I know I wish I could give him some of Rico's patience and calmness. Rico might have been injured a fair amount, but I knew without a doubt that he could be rehabbed quietly. I did so much of our walking bareback! TC, not so much, no riding him during rehab unless I have a death wish.
DeleteHm. Reminds me of the work that my western trainer did with Carmen. It was essentially 'this is the line' no discussion no negotiation. As she improved he upped the pressure. But funny thing is that she was totally fine with him she never acted scared or resentful of him even when she was throwing a tantrum.
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely worried that it might blow up in my face. If he really wanted to, he could get away or knock me down. The idea is that by laying into him a bit about the little stuff, he doesn't escalate. If he figures out that he COULD escalate, well, then it will backfire! So far so good for now though. Fingers crossed it continues this way.
DeleteRyon would always push the boundaries and luckily we would catch him really quick while he was doing it. His injury has been making me do some real thinking lately (he's at pasture right now) and what the right long-term solution is for both of us. There are no easy answers, unfortunately
ReplyDelete