| This book |
On the train and then on the plane, I read the sections that I was mostly interested in. And I'm going to use this post to walk you through the results. So this isn't a book review, but the fact that I'm talking about it on the blog means that I enjoyed it enough and probably recommend it. I probably wouldn't have paid full price for it, but I also hate paying full price for books.
The book breaks horses down into four personality types, and they can be mixed as well. These types are Social, Fearful, Aloof, and Challenging. The types present on a spectrum from passive to aggressive. For example, a horse can be aggressively or passively social, or aggressively or passively challenging.
Right away I knew that TC was absolutely not aloof or challenging. I wouldn't use those words to describe him at all. He LOVES people and horses and has never been standoffish in his life. And he's really not the sort of horse who has ever come up against me in his work (except recently, more on that tomorrow). Sometimes he plays rough with his people, but it's not in a mean way, it's in a "hey come play with me" way, even if sometimes it presents as him appearing to want to bite your face.
| So social he doesn't care about food when I'm around |
Social Horses
Interaction: Want to observe and interact with the world. ** For sure, TC loves to be involved in everything. If he had his way, he'd come to work with me, shower with me, and sleep in my bed.
Need for personal space: Tolerant of people or other horses in their personal space. Appear almost welcoming. ** This is pretty accurate, TC doesn't mind if you get in his space and regularly welcomes himself into your space. BUT he can feel claustrophobic when he is scared.
Relationship to herd/humans: Rarely at the top of the pecking order, but often second or friend to the chief. ** TC hasn't been in a herd since he was young, but he was for sure not at the top, but that could have been due to age or how completely unathletic he was- he started being more dominant as he got stronger/older.
Vocalizing: Often more vocal than other personality types. ** TC is constantly screaming- he screams for me, he screams for other horses, he screams at anyone who looks like me, walks in the same direction as I usually do, or has food.
Adaptability: Generally accepting of new experiences. ** I wish they'd separate out new experiences brought on by the rider vs new experiences brought on by outside stimuli. TC is fine with new experiences if I introduce them to him- meaning if I ask him for a new movement or introduce an object to him, he's fine. If an object appears out of nowhere, he is NOT okay.
Reactiveness: Generally tend to underreact to a new stimulus; not usually explosive. ** Again let's separate by outside stimuli vs the rider/handler. He underreacts to new stimuli that I bring on. If I shake a plastic bag at him, he doesn't care. If a plastic bag floats around on its own, he is for sure going to be explosive. That's why I reluctantly call him a reactive horse- he IS, but not to the rider.
Attention Span: Attention span can be very short, especially in youngsters. May have trouble focusing on one thing in a busy environment. May leave own feed bucket to socialize. ** This is definitely TC. He does best in the arena when there are horses that aren't doing very much. He doesn't like being alone in the arena, but the other horses can't look like they're having more fun than him or he'll try to go join them and tune me out.
*there's a section on weaning, but I didn't know TC at weaning so I'm skipping it, I might ask his old owners about his weaning though.
Response to training: Once trained, are usually steady performers; will need occasional tune-ups on basic issues. ** I think this is true. Once as TC knows something, he almost never needs to have it drilled (though doesn't mind having it drilled), though he will get rusty and need a tune-up.
Lessons and routine: Appreciate variety in their lessons. ** TC gives no fucks about variety, he'd do fine with a completely regimented ride schedule. He doesn't mind variety though, and likes trail rides/the trail course/pole work. But I don't think he needs it.
Tolerance: Tend to be more tolerant of inept or poor handling than other types ** I haven't had anyone inept deal with him, but he does tend to deal with me mishandling him okay. Though I think he'd take advantage of someone who didn't know how to handle him once as he figured that out.
Happiest and most content: When allowed to interact with other horses, people, and the environment.
So TC is FOR SURE a social horse. Honestly if it wasn't his harsh reactions to things, I would have thought this book was way obvious. I know he's social. After reading more on the social horse, I'd classify him as pretty aggressively social. He wants to be in your space NOW and he wants to play with you NOW and he wants to go play with that other horse NOW and there's not much you can do to stop him when he's got playing/socializing on his mind.
Rico, on the other hand, is more passively social. He plays with other horses but doesn't seek it out all the time. He's okay on his own and would leave friends to go exploring with me. He is curious but doesn't get into trouble with new objects/things (vs TC who trotted over to a piece of plastic in turnout the other day, picked it up, and was hopping around flipping his face with it still in his mouth).
| PLZ BE MY FRAND I NEED THEM |
Interaction: Guarded or cautious, especially as youngsters. ** Nope. He's only cautious around new/spooky things, but I wouldn't call him an overly cautious horse. Certainly not with people.
Need for personal space: May indicate a need for more personal space than they have; may be somewhat claustrophobic when uncomfortable or confined ** That first bit isn't true, but YES claustrophobic describes TC to a t when he gets uncomfortable. If you crowd him or if he's scared of something, he will go through you to get away from it.
Relationship to herd/humans: Very dependent on social structure. Likely to bond with another horse or human. ** Yep, though I fail to see how this differs from a social horse because I don't quite know what she means about social structure. He likes his people, but I feel like he'd bond immediately with someone else if I were to sell him. It took him two seconds to bond to me. He definitely bonds to other horses- anyone who lives with him/near him, or has ever been ridden in the same ring with him, is instantly his BEST friend.
Vocalizing: Usually vocalize out of anxiety or loneliness, and upon the arrival, with or without food, of someone they have bonded with. ** Yah he whinnies at me all the time and will scream when he's by himself.
Adaptability: Not immediately at ease in new situations. ** Absolutely. He struggles even with riding in arenas he doesn't normally ride in even at his home barn. Like you can literally see your house from here, TC, it's okay.
Reactiveness: May have strong, quick, or reflexive-type reactions to stimuli or aids. Almost overreactive. ** YES this is how I'd describe him- strong and quick almost reflexive with his responses to OUTSIDE stimuli (again not the rider's aids). It's like he bolts first and thinks later.
Attention Span: Once comfortable, often have a long attention span. ** When this horse is on, he's on. He will focus on his walk-trot transitions for days and days if I have his mind with me. Doesn't seem to get bored with his work at all. He will get distracted of course, but when he's focused on me, almost nothing can distract him unless it's terrifying.
Response to training: Once trained, usually make very strong efforts to comply. ** He loves to work and aims to please unless he's scared/upset/wants to bolt.
Lessons and routine: Prefer consistent, predictable routines; have trouble adjusting to multiple riders. ** He goes best when he is given a lot of freedom from aids- doesn't handle static on the aids and desires the lightest of light aids. I think that sensitivity makes it appear that he has trouble adjusting to other riders. He isn't bad with other riders or refuses to work for them, he just doesn't give them as good of work as he gives me (who is used to riding him/still blocks him but not as much as other people tend to do).
Tolerance: Not tolerant of poor treatment. ** I dunno, if you scare him or get too aggressive toward him, he will either run away from you or through you. But he's not completely intolerant of poor treatment (not that he's ever been treated poorly).
Happiest and most content: when in the reassuring presence of a stronger personality, either human or equine.
While I wouldn't say TC is classically fearful (they also mention fearful horses being poor eaters or stall walkers- nope), there are some elements there that stand out to me. I would call TC's flight response fairly aggressive. But he doesn't appear to be as scared as this book makes an aggressively fearful horse out to be. He happily drinks water in new places, eats every bit of food he has in front of him (he's not super food oriented but he does like his food), rests a foot for a lot of the day, and is not at all afraid of people, any people.
There's also no telling what his flight response would be if he had more ability to self-exercise or was a less powerful horse- sometimes I feel like his athleticism makes his responses a lot more extreme than he would if he were less athletic or could run around more during the day. So is he aggressively fearful or are his fearful responses just aggressive because of circumstances outside of his personality?
| New things = terrifying |
"When things are well in this horse's world, he will resemble any other social horse, but when stress or conflict arises, he will display fearful-type behavior."
Hey, that's my horse.
"He was a very athletic and talented horse, but too nervous under pressure to be suitable for any rigorous or top-level competitive work."
Hey, that's my horse (doesn't get nervous about rider pressure, but new places for sure)
"He was the kind of horse that made you feel badly if you walked by him or took care of him without some sort of interaction."
Hey, that's my horse.
"Most fearful horses are rarely offensive in their behavior. Almost everything they do is defensive or reflexive in its origin. I was not worried that he would hurt me."
Hey, that's my horse. I only fear for myself in that he won't realize he's going to hurt me.
"I urged him forward. He shot off in an almost hysterical gallop as if he were being chased by demons. I could have been anybody or no one on his back for all the attention he paid me."
Hey, that sounds familiar.
"As soon as our relationship under saddle was established, his social self came forward, and he became almost slavish in his desire to learn and work. I have never, before or since, worked with a horse that learned things so quickly and paid such rapt attention to his lessons."
YES THIS.
| Fuck is this horse fun to ride, if only I could actually ride him |
The story ends with this horse, once too freaked out to be ridden in general, able to perform in a drill team type show under lights, surrounded by a massive crowd. She said the change took three and a half years and that the horse thrived on a one-on-one partnership situation. Interesting.
The book also included some information about rider personality and what works best. This is where bf really decided that the book was bullshit, as evidenced by this hilarious interaction on the plane.
Me: They're talking about rider personality now
Bf: Are they using the Big 5? (aka OCEAN- the only personality test that actually has research supporting it)
Me: No, Myers-Briggs
Bf: *eye roll so big I was afraid he'd lose his eyes out the back of his head* Myers-Briggs is really good at marketing itself
Me: That's such an INTJ thing to say (he does score INTJ on the MBI, so do I, I am also a Leo, which gives you a similar quality of information, pop science for you)
Bf: *dying a bit inside*
| Maybe not the best personal relationship with this horse, but hopefully we can work out a good working relationship |
The book made me realize that TC is really not quite the horse for me. I couldn't have known this when buying him, and I'm not going to go sell the horse because of it, but it shows me that it's not only his problem (duh, I mean it's for sure me too).
The book says that introverted people should avoid aggressively social horses, since those horses need a lot of social/emotional support that introverted people may struggle with. I for sure feel this. Sometimes I forget that TC needs lots of very loud praise- I have to tell him out loud and pet him a lot. Rico just needed a release of the aids. I spend time with TC, but it's not time interacting with him socially as much as it's just being around him. I brush him and pick his feet and tack him up and ride him and put him away. I don't fawn over him, play with him, take my time brushing him all over, or tell him how brilliant he is at all hours of the day. I think he'd like that a lot more.
The book also said that people who score high on Thinking (I score real high on that) should avoid aggressively fearful or social horses, again for the social support issue. I apparently need a horse who benefits from repetition, such as aloof or challenging horses. Great, you know, the two personality types my horse is not.
| This guy on the other hand, is more passively social and NOT AT ALL fearful so we got along well |
Tomorrow I'm going to actually let you know what has been going on with this horse. I've sort of not talked about him in two weeks on this blog for a reason. But just based on reading this book, I can tell you that I'm FOR SURE going to be working with the barn to get TC into a large paddock in the next week or two, where he can have direct access to other horses. Later on this year, I might consider putting him back in a pasture.
I think this is very important for him. He had literally not sniffed another horse's nose in almost a year, and it's not healthy for him. His mental and physical health is suffering, and I'm unable to ride him (haven't been on him in over a week, haven't been able to work him in two weeks) at this time. This decision does mean that I could lose him to his suspensory injury (before you leap on me about not doing this earlier: this is going directly against my vet's recommendation for the severe tendon injury he suffered last year, it is not a decision I am taking lightly since I spent a LOT of money getting him sound from that damn injury), but I would rather take the chance of owning a horse I cannot ride due to injury than for sure own a horse I cannot ride due to behavior.
I'll let you know the other stuff we're doing to improve his life tomorrow, but I'm really glad that I picked up this book so that I could understand him a little more and so that I feel more validated in my decisions.
Ahhh I still want to read this. I want to know if Kat is aggressively or passively challenging. And if Freddie is aloof (lol jk).
ReplyDeleteBahaha Freddie is for sure aggressively social, I think he and TC would rip each other apart playing if they met. I need to bring you this book so you can read it!
DeleteSO interesting! Hopefully being able to have friends will really help TC's mental state. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThat's what I'm hoping! I'd love for him to be able to even transition to group pasture again, though hopefully the paddock is enough for him since I would worry about him a lot in the pasture!
DeleteThat horse the author described sounds freakishly similar to Stinker. So maybe in 2-2.5 years I'll have a rideable horse?
ReplyDeleteAs far as the TC situation goes I hope that he keeps his brain in his noggin and doesn't re injure himself.
Yah TC didn't seem like he fit all the fearful horse stuff, especially because he's not at all worried about people- except today someone appeared on the viewing stand by the round pen and I thought he might melt into the ground he bent down so low lol
DeleteJust added this book to my Amazon wish list so I can buy it with a Christmas gift card, sounds fascinating!
ReplyDeleteIt's really interesting! Even if it's not backed by any research. It's helped me think about TC in a different way for sure.
DeleteThis is so interesting, my little org behavior loving heart wants to read this and analyze the hell out of all my animals.
ReplyDeleteYah I evaluated Rico too! And I think Riot is passively social fearful mix, probably more fearful than social. I want to hear what types of horses other people have too!
DeleteI'm INTJ too (so is Tristan) it sounds like an interesting book even if its kinda pseudo pop science bullshit. I think Ramone was a Social horse but maybe scored mid social and not high social, the horse enjoyed praise and hand holding. I don't think he landed very high on the fearful side of things, not sure about the other two I guess I'd need to read the book lol
ReplyDeleteINTJs unite! Yah I mean there's problems any time we try to put people into categories, it's still fun though! Yah I rate Rico as passively social- sweet but not like TC, who wants to be in your pocket at all times. That could be the age difference though!
DeleteI think I should read this book- based on your description Carmen fits into the 'fearful' mode.
ReplyDeleteOh and I am INTP :)
Yah my dad's TWH seems to be a fearful-social mix, I've always said that I never want to live in Riot's world because it seems terrifying lol
DeleteThis is fascinating to me. I wonder how Charlie would be categorized. He's kinda an enigma of sweet puppy dog easy going not scared of anything but might murder you anyway when you turn your back on him. Lol
ReplyDeleteAnyway tho my fingers are crossed for figuring out the turnout section. It does seem like something that TC would really benefit from... But I sincerely hope that it's not at the expense of his soundness. I agree with your risk analysis tho - it seems worth it to try!
Lol! Maybe social challenging? I haven't read about the challenging horse yet, but now I want to!
DeleteI'm sorry to hear that things with TC aren't going well right now.
ReplyDeleteThat does sound like an interesting book. I read another horse personality book before ("Is Your Horse a Rock Star?") but I would be interested to read this and combine and compare the results. I find Kachina's personality a bit puzzling so I like reading things that make me think about it, even if they are pseudo-sciency.
I adore Powell's! I took my bf to Portland on a surprise trip a few years ago, I had planned on essentially a full day in Powells but after an hour he said he was ready to leave and I was like "what!?" haha (to be fair, in that hour he had picked up like 10 books and figured he couldn't stay any longer or he'd spend way too much money).
I read that website recently and Rico is totally the reluctant rockstar. I can't figure out what TC is though, none of the personalities really capture his essence. So it was nice to find a book that does describe him well!
DeleteI could have spent so much longer in Powell's too! We spent a fair amount of time there but I feel like I never have enough time in bookstores in general.
This sounds like such a cool book, even if it's pseudo-science. If it helps us better understand and relate to our horses, I'll take it!
ReplyDeleteThat was my argument for getting it! At this point I'll take anything to get me to understand that damn horse a bit better.
DeleteSorry to hear things aren't going so well with TC. For what it's worth, I absolutely agree with your decision. I loved the quote "I would rather take the chance of owning a horse I cannot ride due to injury than for sure own a horse I cannot ride due to behavior."So true, and exactly why my horse (against vet advice, and I AM a vet!) was turned out to rehab from a tendon injury aged three and a half. He would have had a breakdwon if he had been confined to a stall.
ReplyDeleteGood to hear that I'm not the only one who has been in this situation! It's a risk but I haven't been able to ride him in two weeks and even before then, the rides had been extremely tough. Even just having him in a bigger place and having the option of turning him out vs riding him will help a lot! And if he goes lame... Well that's a chance I'm now willing to take given what we've been through these last six weeks.
DeleteThat book sounds great! Everything about the social horse describes Leo really, really well.
ReplyDeleteRico too! Though he's definitely a lot more laid back about his social behavior than TC.
DeleteVERY interesting, can I borrow this book?
ReplyDeleteYes! Peony wants it too so I figured I'd let her have it when we went to SD and then you can steal it! I'm reading the rest now and it's super interesting, even if it's pseudo science!
DeleteThere have been so many days I thought about turning my suspensory injured horse out into the pasture because of his behavior. I wouldn't blame anyone who did. He was so anxious. At the moment his rehab pen is in the pasture which sort of helps, but the draft mare broke two layers of fencing to get into it and let him out and beat him up, so I had to surround it with a third layer - hotwire. So he can see the other horses now but he cannot touch noses or anything like that. He's still calmer than he has been in a long time though.
ReplyDeleteYah it kills me to think that all that time and money to rehab him might get flushed down the drain, but he's unrideable right now so I feel stuck! Fingers crossed your guy stays quiet! TC has lost it so often throughout this injury, he wishes he could live in a 50 acre pasture with all his best friends. Poor guy.
DeleteIm a long time reader, but I hardly ever comment. I had a whole history of my experiences with my 15 year old TB mare typed up, but I think Blogger ate it.
ReplyDeleteHere is the short(ish) version... she came back from an injury and in an effort to prevent re-injury we carefully managed her living situation (full work, mostly stalled, individual small paddock T/O when footing was perfect). Issues began to pop up undersaddle and escalated to the point that she would back up and rear after spooking or whenever asked to do much more than walk on a loose rein. It got to the point that I wouldn’t rider her without ace on board, as she got pretty scary to sit on. I feel like I tried everything - I had the vet work her up (no scoping (probably should have)), 30 days Ugard followed by SP’s tummy supplement for maintenance, saddle fit, teeth, chiro/accu, etc., all with some success but I couldn’t find my pre-injury mount in the horse I was dealing with. We even treated for lyme disease, just in case, and moved barns and hired a good and kind professional to ride her.
After some soul searching, and against the advice of our vet, I finally bit the bullet and decided to turn her out. I found a flat field, a mellow mixed herd, and worked her up to 12 hours of T/O a day. I left her alone with her friends for a few weeks then started reintroducing easy short rides working up to full work. In the end, I truly believe that T/O and letting her be a horse was the best thing I could have ever done. The behavior issues pretty much resolved and she eventually made it back to full work as a happy partner.
That's so good to hear! I'm strongly considering group pasture in the spring/summer if we're still having issues. I feel like some horses just can't live in 24/7. It feels like such a risk though, I'm so glad it's working out for you! Gives me more confidence for sure.
Delete