My trainer came over and told me that my one lesson this week needed to turn into two since the training ride he was going to do Saturday wasn't going to happen because he's unexpectedly out of town. No problem since I'll actually be back in town on Sunday in time to longe. And yay, extra lesson!
It was an awesome lesson too! Trainer rode with a trainer this weekend and threw some new stuff at TC and I, which was exceedingly helpful. It was the first lesson where I felt like 90% of it was devoted to riding a real live horse, while only 10% was dedicated to baby horse management, because we did crash through the court again. Woops. Power steering fail.
| This guy wants to destroy dressage arenas |
This is the most accessible he's been in a long time, and it's still so hard for us. Not helping is me, who wants to override him all the time. The biggest example of this is at the canter- he struggles to move his shoulders over, so I take both reins and half halt big to turn his shoulders, which turns into pony wrestling. The problem with that is that I'm totally going to lose, I mean he weighs nearly 10x my weight!
Trainer had me keep my outside hand down and connected, and just touch the inside rein to direct him, but I had to reduce muscle tone after a step. I didn't release like he initially wanted, since I'm not a fan of the big give and take hand movements (and neither is TC), but my issue is rigidity. So aid, then soft and steady connection, then aid again if necessary. It's that whole "the opposite of a problem is not always the solution to the problem," you know. So annoying, why isn't throwing my left hand forward and dangling the rein the answer to my left hand issue?
So yah, that made a huge difference. Other than our leap out of the arena, he was quite rideable at the canter, even to the left!
| Hey look, a canter to the left that isn't the worst thing ever. PC: Austen and I'll explain that in tomorrow's post. |
Guys. This horse. We got a few steps of what I would consider show trot (since at the upper levels you have a warm up trot and a show trot) and damn, it felt great! I want to get a little passage on him probably next winter to get the trot to spectacular levels but this is definitely on the right track for that. It was super hard for him though, but a year and a half's (erm, plus a 7 month break for, you know) hard work on getting him to lift his back and lower his neck meant that he never dropped his back or got behind the bit. Phew! We didn't hold it for too long, don't want to get him fatigued up there since that's the first step to encouraging him to do those things.
| Sometimes not as pretty, thanks Austen for the pictures! |
I was surprised (lol) to find out that pulling on the left rein and leaning off my right seat bone did not a supple horse make. Once again, less was more, and by the end of this little bit of trot, trainer had my hands close together and not doing anything, just pure connection. It was amazing. He was so steady and soft, so rideable off the seat and leg. I just need to remember that he can be like that and make him do it!
| He's so fun |
He struggled a bit to understand, but eventually he figured it out and wasn't offering me the wrong lead anymore. The downward felt super balanced most of the time, and the upward is still recovering from the week of bucking. The only nice thing about the bucking is that it seems to have improved the quality of the canter. So, uh, bring on the bucking??
I was so happy at the end. I love this horse! His work ethic is so refreshing, the horse always steps up to the plate and more pressure on him (not physically, but mentally) always means better work. I'm so glad I ended up with this horse, even if some/most/almost all days he's exhausting in one way or another.
Hey we gotta amateur break these horses somehow ;)
ReplyDeleteI think they're probably all exhausting in their own ways - I love his progress!!! I want to ride my horse again :(
ReplyDeleteI kinda love it when my trainers come back all inspired by their own training and lessons that they give me a killer session. Sounds like TC rose to the occasion too!
ReplyDeleteI've been struggling with the 'do not open the outside rein, it really doesn't help' thing. Keeping hands together is so much better! I love how he's coming along. We really need some video. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's always good when you don't need a 500 mile 911 call. :)
ReplyDeleteVery curious to know more about the warm up trot vs the show trot when you have time.
ReplyDeleteI love how with the young ones, suddenly the light-bulb comes on, and they figure out how to be a big boy/girl :)
ReplyDeleteGlad L didn't have to call 911 haha
ReplyDelete