Thursday, October 22, 2015

My Disrespectful Pony

Sunday's lesson went really well, but unfortunately due to illness, I couldn't actually work on anything we did until Wednesday.

Enjoy some filler pictures of fall from a few years ago, because
IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE FALL RIGHT NOW WTF 90 DEGREES

A few things came out of Sunday's lesson and my thinking afterward:
1) I've lost my sweet four year old, he is now five. Um maybe a little earlier than we thought, since he doesn't technically turn five until April. But five is when they typically start pushing boundaries. He's feeling more confident, stronger, and more coordinated and he's using it against me to an extent.

2) TC is now living on his own, he no longer has to fight for his food, he no longer gets pushed around on a regular basis. I am literally the only thing in his life that challenges him, and I only do that for a short period of time each day. I think that TC is using this as evidence that he was recently crowned King of the Universe. So he's feeling a little more ornery than usual. #anthropomorphizing

3) I haven't been after him enough on the longe line. He isn't bad on the longe, so I don't usually address any minor behavior. But if he gets away with shaking his head or taking too long to do a downward transition, he will eventually escalate. So TC now gets longed for longer and he's getting a good lesson in not being even the tiniest bit of a jerk on the longe line.

Hey look, fall

4) Undersaddle, I know what to do with him, but I feel overwhelmed when I have to make the decisions. When to get after him and how, when to use what tools, when to give him breaks, and when to end. Just having Katy there, telling me things I already knew, took my mind completely off of everything except listening to what she had to say. Any question of "should I push him sideways when he does that or should I do a transition?" or "do I let him get away with that or should I tell him he's not supposed to do that?" is no longer my question to answer. It was just damn nice. I don't think so well in the afternoons, and being out of regular lessons for now about a year has taken its toll on me a bit.

More things came out of the lesson, but I'm still digesting a lot of it, specifically what to do long term. I am still making decisions about that, but with the idea that I might be switching my schedule so I can ride in the mornings, I might be able to delay any decisions until the rain. I want to get us working well together before I change anything.

Remember when clouds existed?
Wednesday I was delayed a bit by work because it was being super interesting, so I ended up getting to the barn kind of late. I need to get on my own case about getting out there earlier. Today I have all my riding stuff with me and I'm not allowed to go home in between work and the barn. Because home is a black hole of procrastination.

TC was great to tack up, although he really harassed this poor lady who was setting up grain for her own horse. TC was pretty convinced that she was preparing his grain and he let her know by pawing and staring her down that she should probably just feed him right now.

I took him up above to longe. Katy had recommended sticking an outside side rein on him so that he couldn't pop his shoulder, so we looked kind of contraption-y with our chambon AND side reins on. But it worked okay. He was a little shorter in the neck than I had wanted, but I think today I'm going to stop by Katy's barn and grab her sliding side reins, which I think will work better for him. If so, then I guess I'm in for more tack purchases, ugh.

Good thing the Dover store is coming to a town way way way too close to me! FYI sounds like we're doing a potential blogger meetup on the Sunday it opens in mid-November, I'm not 100% sure I'll be there but other bloggers will for sure be there.

And leaves changed colors?

TC was better behaved on the longe line Wednesday than he was on Sunday for our lesson. I only had to get on his case once for not walking when I asked him to. He got a little retracted in the neck sometimes due to the outside side rein, but he did stay much straighter and the canter was MUCH better. I think he's going to get some canter boot camp on the longe line, since I always feel like I'm adding to the tension at the canter. And the canter is the main issue holding us back from showing. There are other things too, but the other things are typical baby things that I can't control- tension, nerves in new places, wiggling.

He was being so good that I hopped on, possibly a little early. I need to start timing my longeing a bit better. I definitely felt more confident on him than I had last week, possibly because I wasn't feeling like my stomach was trying to destroy me from the inside. I tried not to think and just to ride but I failed pretty miserably. Still though, he WAS a little better.

And firewood was necessary for those who actually have a
fireplace? And those people invited me over for s'mores?

Katy's main recommendations undersaddle:
1) Push him sideways- both when he's being bad and just more often in general. I've been using this to an extent. Katy said that horses in pasture push each other around. I should do that in the beginning to get him paying attention to me a bit better. Then, because most of TC's bad behavior involves zipping away, pushing him sideways when I feel it coming will keep him with me a bit better.

2) Ride him low. Katy told me to ask him to stretch, so I laughed at her, but then we talked and she has a point. He won't stretch right now because he isn't relaxed... but if I can get him stretching, he'll be relaxed. So I'm riding him a bit low right now. Which, given his tendency to shorten his neck, makes it look like I'm riding him in rollkur. Ugh. But I gave myself a month long pass at being a good dressage rider, and I'm happy to extend that shit through the winter. I'd rather fix a training problem than a behavior problem.

So we did both of those last night. It went okay. There were still incidents but they were all manageable, we're approaching how he was at the neighbor arena in the beginning, and remember how I loved that arena later? REMEMBER? I need to remember that. We did get some good stretching, and there were moments where he was soft and relaxed. We definitely got more of those moments on Sunday, but it was during the day and he hadn't had two days off of riding.

And leaves got blown away by wind and not just eaten by weird
ponies

Overall I'm just kind of hoping to survive the next few weeks. I wish I had my pony back but the reality is that this is my pony now. He'll eventually be my pony again. Deep down, he's a good horse and this experience will be a good one for him. It just sucks for now. This really tells me that he needs to experience more moves between barns and visits overnight. Better to learn that now than when I shell out a whole lot of money for an overnight show.

I think the next time that Barbi is in town, I'll arrange for TC to go spend the night so that I can ride with her twice. I'm also considering looking into tossing him at two of the barns in the area for a night so I can clinic with arguably the top two trainers in the area (depending on finances and if I like them after auditing). It just so happens that both of those barns are the main show facilities in the area too. Excellent. he is always better at a place when he's been there before.

I'm also thinking that I'll throw him at my parents' barn for Thanksgiving and Christmas, just so I don't have to commute the hour and a half to go ride him every day while I'm there. And boy is he going to go a LOT of places over those holidays when I have access to the rig again.

By the end of winter, that damn pony is going to be used to travelling once and for all.

22 comments:

  1. I love the push sideways suggestion...that made all the difference for my now 6 yr old. The fitful fives were certainly entertaining! I am sure your boy will settle down ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully he'll figure it out, he's definitely a lot more settled wandering around the barn and in his paddock. I think he's just struggling with the upper arena since there's so much more to see up there.

      Delete
  2. Training problem over behaviour problem any day! Gonna be a long winter, but not as long as it could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I'm very well set up for handling any sort of training issue. I'm not as well set up for behavioral issues though. I usually love winter, but I find myself really impatient for it to be spring again like right now.

      Delete
  3. Training problem over behaviour problem any day! Gonna be a long winter, but not as long as it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All seems really logical to me. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! I hope he keeps getting better and better.

      Delete
  5. Glad that having a little sit-down seems to have reset him at least some. Too bad he doesn't have a bossy mare neighbor to keep his cute fuzzy butt in line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! His neighbors are too nice to him, he needs a good beat down sometimes to remind him that he isn't the most amazing horse in the universe.

      Delete
  6. Gah 5yo doldrums. I feel like Ramone got bratty late 5yo year and part way into his 6yo year and it comes in waves. Bring down the Hammer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I thought TC would be a bit of a late bloomer, but I think the sudden change has caused him to grow up a bit too fast. I want my baby horse back!

      Delete
  7. I almost threw the dover announcement out because I thought it was just a brochure for the online store, but then I saw the grand opening announcement. Dover's still not my favorite, but I'm very excited about having a huge tack store (kind sorta) in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah it's not my favorite either, but I still totally want to go and see it! Plus it's nice to be able to try things on and touch stuff... then go home and order it if the price isn't good enough!

      Delete
  8. TC sounds like my brat. I had a couple duh moments reading this. Everything you wrote is exactly what I need to do with Stinker. It is a pain in the butt, but progress will come.
    It is amazing how much of a difference there is when you have someone telling you what to do vs when you are by yourself. Even if they say exactly what you would do anyway.
    I hope TC's bratty stage is short and you start progressing quickly again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully our brats will get better soon. I really loved having someone there telling me what to do. I'm waiting on ride times for a show this weekend to figure out if I can get her out again on Sunday. I miss regular lessons!

      Delete
  9. i LOVE that effect of lessons wherein i'm freed from the pressure of decision making. i ride *so much better* when someone else is calling the shots, and am always way less reactive to whatever BS my horse might be throwing at me. funny how that works... anyway i like your plans and am happy to hear that you're seeing some progress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really thought of myself as someone who needed lessons, but after realizing how much of a relief it was to hear someone telling me what to do again, yeah I need some fucking lessons! Not necessarily because I don't know what to do, but just to be able to not have to make decisions for a while. I love being able to turn off my brain, now that it's on overdrive all the time at work, it gets really hard to find moments where it totally shuts down. Yay progress, however slow it's still progress!

      Delete
  10. The grand opening sale that Dover has? Make sure you go early. I bought a crud-ton of vet wrap because it was something ridiculously cheap- like $0.90 a roll. Ours opened earlier this year. I can't say it's my favorite store, its limited in what it has in stock, but they can get anything in the catalog shipped to the store for free, and if it's something they are just out of stock in the store, they'll ship it to your house for free.

    I'm waiting for my baby horse to turn into a baby dragon... he's 6 though, so maybe we missed that phase. I doubt it.

    I made a point of hauling Penn as often as I could. He'd already been moved around a bit before I got him, but the biggest thing about hauling for him is actually getting in the horse eating monster trailer. We had several days where he didn't go anywhere, but had to get on and off the trailer a bazillion times. I gotta be able to load him by myself, and soon! I don't always haul with a friend, and he's gotta learn to load and stay there long enough for me to get around and close the butt bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo good to know! Yah I didn't expect to adore the store. I like the idea of being able to see things in person before ordering (but I usually order from SP or RW anyway), but I expected it to be limited in stock.

      I can't wait until six! But yah I think they all go through it in different ways and at different times. I think the barn change triggered it in TC to come out a bit early. Yah TC is totally fine getting in the trailer, he was hauled out a lot with other horses when he was three- primarily just trail riding. He's not bad just to haul somewhere (I mean he isn't great, but it's not terrible), it's staying overnight places. So hopefully he'll have some sleepovers this winter at a few different places.

      Delete
  11. I do wonder if TC feels like his body is trying to kill him from the inside. My pony has ended up with lifelong gut issues after her major life change from broodmare herd pony to regular riding companion at age five. I didn't pick it, my vet didn't pick it, til she nearly died. Major personality changes in horses aren't normal. I upped the anti when she got difficult. Wrong choice. It has limited her performance and cost me a fortune. Hope you fine the light at the end of the tunnel with TC before he becomes your adversary rather than your partner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he has ulcers, I have him on U-guard, a feed through ulcer prevention, and he got Ulcerguard for the first week and a half that he was there. He doesn't show any signs or I'd have had the vet out for a scope by now. His personality definitely hasn't changed, he's just very distracted and is a big, powerful horse.

      Delete
    2. Glad you have that base covered. TC is lucky to have you for a mum!

      Delete