| Tack locker! Next project: replacing that saddle rack with one that doesn't cut into my panels And obviously that's chai in my travel mug! |
I don't like turning my horses out, mostly because I'm scared that turnout = injury, as it would if I was turning Rico out. But TC is young and I have a feeling that if he doesn't get a chance to play a little sometimes, he'll play with me. I don't want to play with him. Plus if he launches me, he's likely to leave and be frantic so he'll probably be MORE likely to hurt himself than if I just turned him out.
But there were horses being ridden in the upper arena, so no turnout. Yay! I opted for some ground work instead. It actually went really well! TC longed over the two tarps, and did all the ground work stuff that I know, which is pretty limited. I could get him to back up, turn on the forehand, leg yield, shoulder-in, and change directions on the line. Fun!
| Hi mom, why are you so impressed that I'm standing on this toy? |
| The cutest |
Given that I hadn't made any poor decisions lately, I decided that it was high time that I put too much trust in my four year old. Bad decision #1- I didn't longe him, I just jumped on... after a day off. Bad decision #2- I decided that this would be a good time to trail ride him (and bad decision #2.5) without riding in the ring first. Bad decision #3- I decided to take the trail that goes through the back pasture, which has tons of horses in it.
It actually wasn't bad until it was really bad, and even then it wasn't as bad as Rico's first trail ride. And now Rico is the best trail horse ever. I found myself chanting that as I led TC back to a safe place to get back on him. He didn't dump me FYI, just put both of us in a situation where I was safer on the ground than on the horse given what he was doing and where.
| When things were still going well and I was really happy with how quiet he was |
| Oh well, we'll try it again later |
So I made the exercise harder. Fine, if you have so much energy that you can so such impressive things as taking off, changing directions, AND whinnying, then you surely can do shoulder-in at the trot.
Yes he fucking can. And he's awesome at it. He gave me the most amazing shoulder-in at the trot! Granted it was still a bit tense and retracted in the neck, but it hardcore existed. Even through that tension, I could feel the engagement and collection that is deep within this horse. He was incredibly steady both in bend and angle. He felt downright laterally supple, again even through the tension. When I get my horse back... I just can't fucking wait.
| Wandering around the barn |
| Totally willing. Someone needs a mane pull but won't let me do more than a few pulls at a time before stepping on me |
Well with that, we may as well tackle all of Second level, right? So off we went in renvers, which was actually not bad, and haunches-in, which was excellent to the right and acceptable to the left. I rode all the trot patterns through Second, even throwing in the 1-3 pattern of a leg yield zig zag and the 10m circles riding across the ring E-B between them (no halt though omg I was not about to stop to let him use his brain for evil).
So on top of the shit sundae that he's been giving me as rides in the last week, there's a tiny bit of delicious progress. It may not be the progress I was expecting to be making (like um relaxation and lengthening of the frame), but the lateral work is the cherry on top of the massive pile of shit that he has been giving me recently. And I fucking love cherries.
At least when I do finally get my sensitive, relaxed horse with most of a brain back, he'll have all the lateral work through Third. Perfect timing for a debut at Training level!
| A very scientific graph of our progress. And I have a statistical model that will predict the level of crazy at any given day, excellent. |
I love love love the graph at the end. I'm stealing your idea to make charts for my idiot (if that's ok). It sucks having baby horse regression, but at least he is still giving you glimmers of the future (between the large doses of asshole) :)
ReplyDeleteI totally want to see your charts! I'm so glad he threw me a few moments where I felt like our future wasn't doomed, I tend to get dramatic when things go poorly haha
DeleteYay for chai in the travel mug! As for the naughty baby horse, that's what I call using energy for good instead of evil. It's kind of amazing what you can do on days like that, if you manage to keep all four feet on the ground. Third level next week?
ReplyDeleteI knew you'd appreciate my drink choices! Third level will definitely happen next week, at least at the trot! I'm going to put the basics of walk pirouettes on and half pass too. May as well get some rudimentary movements on him while I can't work on the basics because of the tension in his topline.
DeleteI always knew that the lateral work would be hard to put on... maybe not so much anymore!
That graph is the best! At least you got cherries :)
ReplyDeleteDefinitely! I do love cherries, they're better on a sundae than on a pile of shit, but I'll take them either way.
Deleteyay for cherries :D
ReplyDeleteThey are the best, even if the rest of the ride was questionable.
Deletehahah he's a goober. Sorry the trail ride didn't go too hot.. I haven't even been trying to trail ride Kat lately...
ReplyDeleteYahh I think we'll wait on the trail riding for a bit... he clearly needs more time in the ring.
Deletelol love the graph
ReplyDelete