Thursday, October 1, 2015

2015 Q3 Analysis and Q4 Goals

Q3 Goals (July, August, September)

TC
pending job status
- vet check
DONE

- buy the horse! If he doesn't pass the vet, start shopping but assuming he does pass... 
DONE

- get my saddle fitter out
Not quite yet, emailing people now, he seems to be doing fine and vet said he didn't need it right away

- move him to a new barn
Moving within the next couple of days!

- buy a snaffle bridle for him IF we're going to show
Not going to show just yet, this will be necessary in the spring



MINE

doesn't matter about job
- continue to work on the canter quality and roundness
definitely better than it was before but needs so so much more

- continue working on the throughness to the left at all gaits
SO much better, he's basically even on both sides most days

- build his confidence in being reliably forward and responsive
Much better, even working on engagement now, I still get naggy so I need to stop that

- continue working on lateral balance and suppleness
Both are a million times better, we have leg yields and shoulder-in, he needs more confidence in those

- work on transitions into canter and from canter to trot
Both are better but not quite perfect yet, the downwards are better than the upwards right now

- continue to make leg yields better in trot
They're getting okay, I need to make them a more main focus of my rides

- get the stretchy trot solid
Definitely getting there, not solid yet though, and definitely not happening as well in new places

- ride in another clinic or two
Rode with BBG in early August and late September!

- ride a training level test at a schooling show
No more schooling shows for me this year

- think about doing a rated show at T1 and T2
That was pushed to the spring and maybe even the summer


Rico
- ride him as much as I can manage
DONE, probably not as much as I possibly could have, but hopefully I can still ride him every month or so when I can get down to visit him

- go to the beach 
DONE, it was so fun

LOVE

My Riding
- continue to work on my position
Definitely getting better, regular lessons might help. The biggest issue now is my left hand (which is just me regressing) and my accidental nagging at times.

- sit on my right seatbone better
This was a problem with my SI joint and that was fixed 

- LOOK UP 
NO!

- audit some clinics
Axel Steiner in July with Peony and Nicole, GHC in September, as well as watched a few Tracey and Katy lessons.


Grad School/Work
- find a damn job
YES! I'm so happy with it :)

- quit my part time job
DONE, wow that was a fiasco, so glad that it's done

- finish first draft of thesis
Intro is done but my discussion isn't happening, partially due to drama outside of my control

- finish final draft of thesis
Yeah that's not happening, there is a lot of drama (see above)

- submit thesis
Nope, not happening this semester

- defend? I forget when I will be doing this
Nope, very unfortunate that I'm not able to finish this semester.



Ponies > thesis problems always
Msc
- find a place to live after finding a job
DONE, love my apartment, although considering a move to a 1br despite the expense due to now having paid a second month on a 2br without finding a suitable roommate, fuck this area

- continue with crossfit as long as I can
I broke myself and then moved, no more crossfit for me until my wrist is fixed

- read a book, a real book, not a journal article that I try to pass off as a book
YES I DID THIS OMG I DID IT! It was a book on statistics though. Does that count?



Q4 Goals (October, November, December)

TC
- survive moving to a new barn
- survive the beginning of El Nino, try not to get washed away
- work on getting him quicker to respond to at least the aids he knows
- work on the free walk/stretchy trot
- improve throughness and straightness in transitions (esp the trot-halt and halt-trot)
- improve working trot, more engaged and start playing a little bit with the idea of collection
- start shoulder-in at the trot
- steeper leg yield at the trot with better throughness and suppleness
- really address the canter issues- rounder, more balanced, more rideable
- roundness in the trot to canter transitions
- lots of trail rides before it gets wintery


Needs work...

My Riding
- actually get my Gold medal (a year and a month after earning it- I got it in the 2015 show season *technically* so they award them at the end of the year... which is December 2015)
- look up
- fix whatever is happening with my left wrist when I hold the whip
- strengthen my shoulders and open up my chest a bit more
- work on my sometimes talkative lower leg
- audit another clinic?



Msc
- fix my wrist
- if the wrist is better, go to PT
- work toward trying to get back to crossfit/weightlifting
- get a cat... maybe... shhh
- get in the habit of reading books again, this has been so hard due to my rejection of anything remotely academic after grad school
- do well at work, at least better know what I'm doing by then

20 comments:

  1. Was the book you read "How to Lie with Statistics?" Because I'm pretty sure that doesn't count... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT SO COUNTS but I'm only part way through it. So I've read 1.5 books this quarter, and both were about statistics.

      Delete
  2. I find the harder I'm working on more difficult school or work concepts and the more involved my writing and thinking becomes, the more I am drawn to the fluffiest of novels. Like historical fiction that is juuuuuuust this side of a romance novel. Or horse stories. Go on. Read a horse story. You know you wanna. Escapism through reading. It's a thing. That I do. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm finding that I really want to do. After a day filled with thinking, the last thing I want is a book that makes me think any more. Bring on the fluffy horse books! I have some from when I was a teenager, I should break them out again.

      Delete
    2. Doooo eet! The real reason I have a kindle? To hide my shame when I'm devouring chapter after chapter of some book I wouldn't want to be caught dead reading in public. True story.

      Delete
    3. Haha that's awesome! I definitely need to hop on the fluffy book train, but yah it's a little shameful to be caught reading those books sometimes! I like audiobooks for that reason. Am I listening to a super cool book about intellectual things? Or am I listening to Harry Potter for the quadrillionth time? No one will ever know.

      Delete
    4. This must be why I've been CHOWING DOWN on fantasy novels lately. Thesis writing + good fantasy novels + some horsey time + cake.

      Delete
    5. Speaking of fantasy: when is Mr. Rothfuss gonna finish that damn third novel?!?!

      Delete
  3. KITTY!!!!!!! Sorry, that's about all I retained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's been on my mind a lot. My apartment allows cats. I like cats. Therefore, KITTY!! I'm mildly afraid that I will go to the shelter and get six cats though, since I always feel bad for them and want to help all the kitties.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I've been trying to be better about it for years. I go through phases where work hard to look up, then get lazy and start looking down again, realize I'm doing it, try to defend myself, get annoyed that looking up is even a thing that we are supposed to do, accept that it is, work hard at it again, and the cycle repeats itself.

      Delete
  5. "get a cat... maybe... shhh"

    Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No decisions have been made yet! Except that cats are awesome. And I want one.

      Delete
  6. I think the best goal accomplishment was buy the horse! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I didn't realize I'd like him so much when I started riding him, he was kind of just something to do. It's been about a month since I bought him and I love him more every day.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Haha I was thinking about you and penises when I was riding the other day. I ended up just concluding that I have absolutely no shame and to bring on all the penises. Maybe I need an explicit ear bonnet to make it a reality...?

      Audiobooks are the best, that's how I do most of my reading.

      Delete
  8. lolz @ "Look up. - NO" ... i so relate... also remain so very happy that TC is allll yours now!! and absolutely get a cat. hell, get 30. why not, right? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such an enabler! I always forget that TC is mine now since he's just felt mine for so long now. It only really occurs to me when he looks less than 110% healthy! Soon he'll be at the new barn and it will probably sink in.

      Delete