Friday, October 2, 2015

Developing Quickness (via Dreamy Trot Destruction)

Urgency is not something that exists in TC's world. It's not that he's lazy or unresponsive. He is very enthusiastic about doing the right thing, he wants to work for his rider, he responds to all of my aids. It's easy to classify him as a lazy, unresponsive horse because of his slow response time. But I'm reluctant to do so because I've had a lazy unresponsive horse (Rico) and they are very different horses.
Rico's spirit animal
I would call TC methodical. He wants to truly understand something and do it very carefully. When you ask him to trot, he immediately responds by setting himself up (in his own way, sometimes this isn't what I want though haha) and then, only when he is totally prepared does he actually trot. That set up and execution is slow, but he responds (or starts to respond) quickly. When you ask him to turn on the forehand, he immediately responds. But he responds by slowly picking up his inside hind leg, carefully placing it under his body, then slowly picking up his outside hind leg and placing it carefully to the outside.

The difficulty of training him comes not from his level of responsiveness, it comes from the lack of urgency. He seems to be a perfectionist (although an often misdirected one, I think I know someone like that...). He wants to take his time to get it right.

Rico, on the other hand would just say no. Ask him to trot and he sucks back against your leg. There is no set up, there is nothing careful about it. He says no thanks, I'd rather not. Ask him to leg yield (as a young horse at least) and you get a brick wall of abdomen against your leg. He says NO SIDEWAYS SHUFFLING.

So do I want more responsiveness from TC? Suuure, I mean horses can always be more responsive (vs reactive- horses should not be reactive). I want him hanging on my every word, already set up for his leg yields and his transitions before I ask for them so he can respond easily. What I want most though, is a little bit of urgency. Not tension, just that he feels like there's a time limit. I worked on this on Tuesday.

Like this but more urgent off the aids

The biggest thing I discovered in my ride on Tuesday was that my aids slow down with him. I expect him to be slow off the aid so I slow my aids down to meet him. Long leg aids, long rein aids. The number of seconds that my leg is on him is way too many. If I want him to think that this is urgent, I need to make sure I'm riding it as such.

The next thing I did was put a bit of tension back into my seat. I'm really good at making horses a bit hot, but I've valued relaxation over TC's topline so much that I had to calm my ass down a bit. Time to bring fire ass back, which is I think what my BFF called it years ago when she couldn't ride a horse I had been riding (and her old horse, who she rode with hammerhead spurs, tried to murder me because I lit him up so much).

So I sat with a little more urgency, used quicker aids, used shorter quicker taps with the whip... and it worked okay. I did some leg yields like this and TC got a lot of praise when he was quicker. The turns on the forehand were really good, though totally off the bit. We ended with some walk-trot transitions, which blew TC's poor little mind. I would ask once for the trot, then once as I noticed that his brain was starting to acknowledge the aid, I tapped him to say "hurry up!"

Weeee

TC thought that meant GO REALLY FAST so off we went in a HUGE trot. I had to actually pull on him to get him back to walk. Frustration. My once dreamy quiet responsive trot was now this ugly charging downhill thing.

He just didn't understand, poor guy. I worked hard to keep it all very positive. He got a lot of praise. He did get better about it, but we never really got what I had wanted- quicker to the aids but remaining relaxed. It's good to know that we have access to both, we just need to work on it at the same time.

Since TC moves so soon, it's unlikely that I'll be working on this for a bit. He's going to need some adjustment time. I'm planning on doing some ground work, longeing, and riding with the focus on relaxation and building what we had at his current barn back up.

Hello new paddock! See you this weekend

I'm a little stressed about the move, primarily because I desperately want to like this barn (due to the affordability and larger paddocks than every other barn that has openings), but it's so different from what I'm used to. It's mostly western and very low key, so I'm not sure how the people are going to be, how well the footing is going to be maintained, and all that. My current barn is mostly western and the footing isn't the greatest and I'm totally fine... but it's always easier to accept faults in things that are known rather than unknown.

Can I also say that I was NOT in a good mood for the ride on Tuesday (the ride I'm describing) and that this horse is just so accommodating. I was seriously feeling like shit by the time I got on him just because of reasons and he was SO sweet. He stuck his nose in my arms while I was tacking him up and he listened when I got annoyed at his normal baby shuffling and told him to stand still. He did everything I asked undersaddle and just generally was a breath of fresh air after a frustrating day. I know a certain bay horse who would have taken advantage of me a bit. It reminded me of what Lauren wrote earlier this week and I'm just so grateful for this little horse's brain.

15 comments:

  1. It's such a balance--I spend a week or two getting Courage more responsive, but then I have to not get him too hot. I really like repeated transitions to get him balanced and listening, but if I put them too close together, he gets tense and reactive, which is not desirable.

    Glad TC is just the little horse you need right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, I think we'll be swinging back and forth for a bit. There's something to be said about a horse like Rico who doesn't ever get over responsive/hot, he was a lot more straightforward in terms of getting him to work. But I like this one's mind quite a bit :)

      Delete
  2. my horse likes to trick me into thinking she's responsive. but really, maybe she's more like rico than i realized (your description of a "brick wall of abdomen" sounds all too familiar lol). anyway i seriously hope the move goes well and that all of your expectations are met, plus some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping it goes well. Rico was one of the laziest things I've ever ridden, both in terms of lack of responding and lack of a work ethic. There are so many factors that go into responsiveness that it's really hard to pinpoint responsive vs not. TC responds but he isn't as responsive as a horse who responds a bit quicker. Rico is unresponsive but he acknowledges what you're asking a bit better than TC.

      Delete
  3. TC is just such a good guy. Love his little heart! I think Rico and Dino are twins separated at birth. They are like toddlers who just learned what the word "NO" means. Lordy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love his work ethic, I'm not used to that after Rico! Rico worked for me, but yeah "NO" was a primary word in his vocabulary. TC is slowly saying no, but I've been able to win all of our arguments (mostly because I've had them before thanks to RIco!).

      Delete
  4. "Fire ass" hahhahaah! Love that!

    It's really great that TC wants to get it right, even if it's slow for now. Interesting to think about how the speed of your aids affects the speed of his response!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my ass! I've really got it under control now with TC- Rico only encouraged it. But I guess it's making its reappearance soon.

      I love that he wants to learn and understand what I'm telling him, even if he's a slow learner. I'd rather him be slow to learn, hopefully that means he's slow to learn bad habits too!

      Delete
  5. My horse is very much like this! He is a lot better now that he is older, but as a 3,4,5 year old he was EXACTLY like this. He had no sense of urgency. So, there were times when I really had to "make him worry about me up there." Not worry in a bad sense, but he needed to listen and react quicker and not plod along like a QH. He really wants things to always be peaceful and even now a days I have to rock the boat sometimes or he is just ... too quiet. This has resulted in a hotter, spookier horse but much better to the aids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that he'll eventually grow out of it! I don't mind spookiness, and TC isn't a very spooky horse anyway. Slowly but surely he'll become more responsive, and then there will be more things to work on! It's never ending.

      Delete
  6. Aw what a good baby horse taking care of mom on a bad day! I am just starting to think about making my aids precise enough that I think about how long I'm applying leg and how quickly my horse is responding, that kind of thing. It's an art form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was SO good. Rico was bad to the point where I couldn't work him when I was in a bad mood or we'd almost always get into a fight. TC just steps right up and is so so good every single day that I never worry about getting in a fight with him!

      Delete
  7. Rich Fellers gave a mini clinic on having responsive horses without digging into them with a spur or flogging them with your whip (on I there are times where those tools are needed) and I really enjoyed hearing him encouraging riders to be patient but also expecting a quick response.

    Come board with me and L!!! 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys are so far away! I say as I both live and work along L's commute from her house to the barn. But still. I DEFINITELY want to come out to meet you guys at the barn and watch you ride sometime soon though.

      Once as TC is up in the east bay, it will make life SO much easier. Nothing like driving 3.5 hours in the afternoons to take up all of my ability to socialize with anyone :(

      Delete
  8. Wow. Every time you described a horse I was like "oh, this is Murray!" I ask him for a canter transition or trot transition, and he has to set himself up perfectly for a good transition. I mean, I honestly feel like sometimes he just can't do what I'm asking because he's not set up right! But then sometimes I ask him for a trot transition and he sucks back and throws his abs into my inside leg with a resounding "no". And sometimes I ask for a trot transition and instead of a response I get the "OH SHIT" reaction, with his head flying up in the air and a hollow back.

    So... I think I should probably work on relaxation and RESPONDING instead of REACTING right now. Because I can always set him up BETTER for a transition, or give myself more time for the transition. But I will probably struggle to undo the horrible reactiveness I might beat into this horse.

    ReplyDelete