![]() |
| He was thinking about playing here and I look like I've never been on the back of a horse before, but I love this picture |
At this point in TC's abilities at shows, this is too much to ask of him. I can get more oomph in his gaits, but that's at the expense of tension. We're still working on relaxation in new places. So as I was walking around, I decided to scratch my First level test that day. It's just not worth it if we're not meeting the general expectations of the level. I'm not willing to push him past positive tension in the show ring. He just needs to mature a little bit more first. I'm glad I did it the first day, even just to know that First is still beyond our capabilities in a new place.
![]() |
| When we get a little tense, we get a little expressive |
![]() |
| He's actually putting on muscle, yay |
Warm up went well, I was able to do some more transitions than before and also cantered him a fair amount. I figured I wanted a different problem than the porpoising from the day before (spoiler alert, I got it).
We headed over to the dressage court early and I used their small square arena off the show ring to trot and canter around. I figured it'd help a lot, and he did porpoise a few times there, so that was good. I shut him down a bit more firmly than I had in the show ring the day before, and soon he was quietly cantering around.
Around the outside of the arena, we trotted and trotted. He felt really good! I was thinking that this test may actually go pretty well. Then we entered the arena.
![]() |
| A: Enter Spooking... ugh |
Why did I name my stupid blog the way I did? It was just a placeholder name but then I got some followers and it seemed odd to change it. I'm still thinking about changing it even after so many years!
So yah I literally turned up centerline and he was like FUCK YES SHOWING and tried to take off into the arena. I shut him down and then trotted over to X and halted, laughing. The judge gave me a 6.5 (the halt and after the halt was quite good) and said "nice recovery :)"
After that, the test went super! I let him out further for the stretch circle, which raised our score from a 6 and 6.5 the day before to an 8. The canter work was pretty brilliant, grabbing us a bunch of 7.5s. I was pleasantly surprised by that. He did go to play a little bit in each direction, but I stopped him and it actually just made the canter more impressive. The judge said "good call" for one of them and "he responded!" in another. Good pony.
We only had one more issue in the ring, where instead of doing a quiet walk to trot transition at C, in front of the judge, he tried to take off again. Again I stopped him quickly and went to work, but that gave us a 5 and the following trot circle was tense.
![]() |
| Across the diagonal |
![]() |
| Thinking about running off but making the right decision |
The overall comments were great, the judge clearly was a lot happier with him the second day (and he was more relaxed so that makes sense). Said that if I could get him softer in his poll and more connected, that he was going to be great. That's exactly what we're working on! So that's great to have everything really consistent like that.
![]() |
| Across the diagonal |
![]() |
| Such a good pony |
We have a long way to go still with showing, but given that I wasn't riding this horse at the beginning of the year because he scared me so much, I'm REALLY happy.
Our fall adventures aren't quite over, but the show season is. I have some fun stuff planned this fall with TC, but the pressure is off until the spring. It feels good to have had almost a full season with him, definitely didn't expect that at the beginning of the year!








He looks so good even during the sassy moments!
ReplyDeletehonestly i really appreciate how flexible you were with your decision to scratch the 1-1 test, your strategy for addressing the porpoise in warm up, and generally just riding him exactly as he was in each moment. and apparently the judge really rewarded all that! that's something i need to get better about in my own riding - adapting to meet a changeable situation. congrats!
ReplyDeleteI admire you for scratching! And those photos- wow.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness the A - Enter Spooking photo is fantastic. Thank you for sharing the not so great moments as well as the good ones! TC is going to be amazing - just needs miles it seems like. Which you are doing. But yeah I agree, not worth pushing him to where he loses his brain just for a test.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome about the judge giving feedback consistent with what y'all are working on. The A, Enter Spooking photo is amazing hahaha
ReplyDelete