Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Girth Hunting

I've been slack-a-lackin' on this blog this week. It's mostly because on Monday I was going to post about my lesson with Tracey, but then I had a lot of trouble processing all of the information from that lesson. I'm still working it out mentally, then will hopefully have a post done for tomorrow.

But at my Monday ride, I had something happen that I didn't need to process.

I wrote that I had the saddle fitter out a week or two ago and that I basically paid her a lot of money just to tell me that I needed a new girth and then try to sell me one.

Mom I hate girths, ride without one instead, okay?

I immediately did some research online, decided that all anatomical girths are WAY WAY WAY too expensive. I ordered two of the Total Saddle Fit girths from Riding Warehouse because they're the best about returns.

For a couple of days, things seemed fine. His saddle was staying back where it needs to be and I was pretty happy with the quality of the girth. The saddle fitter was all "you get what you pay for," meaning that the $130 TSF girth would be far inferior to the more expensive one she was selling me. It's a nice girth! The only issue I sort of thought might be an issue is that TC is very narrow through his girth area, which means that the elbow clearance was a little off for him. I did have a size smaller girth, but there's no way that 1 inch on each side would put the swoop where it needs to be. He simply needs the part that swoops forward toward his legs to be narrower.

But I mean, I got it to keep the saddle back, not give him optimal elbow clearance. So we went along our way. TC seemed... about the same in this girth. I appreciated not feeling like the saddle was hitting his shoulder, and I'm sure he also appreciated that. I learned in my Tracey lesson that I sit really crooked, so I might not have the best feel.

I do, however, have eyes. And on Monday I took his girth off and noticed a bit of a red tinge on it. I checked his elbow and yep, it had worn a hole in one of his little elbow fat rolls.

It looks worse than it is
I know it didn't happen when I was putting it on, since I always check that. But I do tighten the girth usually one hole on each side while riding. And my horse has no manners, so he probably went to lean forward, leaving his left elbow back under the girth while I tightened it. He honestly told me while riding- he skittered sideways away from the left side into the canter and then bucked a lot. Maybe he shouldn't use the same response for bird shadows as he does for pain and I would have noticed sooner! Silly pony. It wasn't a deep cut, just took the first layer or two of skin off. So don't feel bad for him, he got lots of cookies and apologies.

I washed it, put some stuff on it, and have ignored it since. Today I'm going out in the morning and trying to come up with a plan. Luckily it's so far forward (like literally on his elbow), that it probably won't get in the way of any girth as long as I'm careful about tightening it. I think I'll try the smaller TSF girth today even just to move that point a bit away. I also have Rico's super cheap ovation (I think) girth that isn't anatomical but does have a little cut back.

My horse sweats a LOT

Still, I think we're looking at a damn narrow gauge anatomical girth. JenJ recommended the ProLite, which looks promising. The site that sells them in the US is really stingy about returns though, so I'm a little bit nervous. Especially because I've never used a girth with no elastic before. If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears! That narrow gauge seems hard to find, I've only really found it in the Fairfax girths (who also make the ProLite), which again, no elastic.

15 comments:

  1. I have the Fairfax. I love it. I did stalk ebay for months waiting for a used one to pop up. There's a place I found in the UK that sells the Prolite for about $150 USD. I wouldn't worry about being able to return- you can probably post it on Facebook in a group in your area and it'll probably go quickly.

    I wouldn't worry about elastic vs not elastic. I can't say I've noticed a difference since switching to my Fairfax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know! I've been scouring eBay but nothing so far. I think I'll order like... every girth that looks like it might work from RW and if none of them work. I will take the chance on a new Prolite.

      Delete
  2. Have you considered trying a half-moon/crescent shaped girth? I have a very short-coupled Lusitano and had the same issue with the TSF girth. Switched to a cheapo Ovation Gel Body Form girth and viola! Mattes makes a more expensive one with sheepskin...if you wanna spend more money ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to spend money and make things complicated for myself... that's definitely really promising! I'll definitely be ordering it soon to try. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Oh darn! I'm sorry the TSF wasn't a magical fix for you! I hope you can find something to try. My only other suggestion would be an Ovation Body Form Gel girth, but it's only curved, not nearly the depth change that the shoulder relief girths offer. Is the synthetic TSF any narrower than the leather one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about the synthetic TSF, I might order that one just to see if it's any different. Thanks for the recommendation! I hadn't heard of that girth til today and will for sure be trying it.

      Delete
  4. My horse had a terrible allergic reaction to the TSF girth and had a huge weeping welt the exact shape of the TSF girth. I was able to return it but TSF had very little concern for the problem that the girth caused. My vet suspects that it was the chemicals or dye they use to treat the leather. I am also currently looking at the prolite narrow gauge girth, hopefully that one will work out better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! TC has been a bit reactive to weird stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if it was that vs a rub.

      Delete
  5. I have this one for my special snowflake, its soft & squishy, & I didn't need a loan to buy it. ;)

    http://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Nunn_Finer_Piaffe_Dressage_Girth_Black_34_in/descpage-NFPDG.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv430wcGM1wIV27bACh18XwLyEAYYASABEgJaU_D_BwE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard of those and was definitely thinking of trying it too, glad to hear it's working for you!

      Delete
    2. I also have one of these for my OTTB and he really appreciates it. I definitely appreciate it not costing a million dollars.

      Delete
  6. I found that the newer TSF girth is much more flexible and forgiving than the older style ones. Riding warehouse doesn't carry the new ones, but TSF will do returns if you want to try buying straight from them. Another option would be to add a sheepskin cover (this helped Nilla a lot). Also, a very quick eBay search turned up a used Prestige dressage girth for sale. I know you didn't like the sales pitch from the saddle fitter, but they are nice girth. Mattes has a few different girth options for different conformations that might help as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like my H-girth, but it is pricy and basically impossible to find in the US. If you get really desperate it might be worth a look. I think Stinker has similar issues as far as how girths sit on him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's too bad that the TSF girth didn't work for him. My Stretchtech girth from them is a bit narrower at the point so I wonder if that would work for him. It's almost exactly the same thing I struggle with for Katai but this one has been working magically for Katai.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard good things about county logic girths!

    ReplyDelete