Tuesday, October 3, 2017

A Year Later

This isn't a horse post, it's a work post! It's been one year since I started working at my current job, which is cool.

Other than horse jobs, I haven't stayed at a full time job for a year. My previous job I left after nine terrible months, and every other job before that was a fleeting grad school job. I love my current job. Sure, there's some stuff I could complain about (like how when we went to negotiate cost of living raises, they refuse to look at how much the cost of living has increased in the area around the school and basically told us that we weren't getting a true cost of living increase...), but there's a reason why I stay.

My commute over the mountain
 I love my coworkers, who are all hilarious and fun to talk to. Three of us have the same educational background, so it's fun to talk about psychology with them. The other two have statistics backgrounds, so I like talking to them too. We have Beer Thursdays sometimes and are always giving our boss a hard time about how we need to have our staff meetings at the bar at 4pm on Fridays, or at 11am any day but at the local restaurant that makes delicious breakfast burritos if you get in before noon.

I love the school itself, and the grant I'm working on. Despite not knowing what to do if I ever interacted with a student (like the one I stood in line behind at the coffee shack who kept saying things like "bruh" and "suss"), I love that the school really sets out to give opportunities to students who normally wouldn't have them. I love that my grant really addresses the technological divide between faculty and students. Did you know that a lot of low income students don't have computers or internet at home but do have smartphones? Lots of them write their papers on their phones, turn in assignments from their phones, read text books and articles on their phones. Can you say mobile friendly websites? Many faculty certainly can't.

Though I work near the beach, I've been there maybe twice since
starting work, oops

I love how much I can push my schedule for my horse. They know I commute like mad and have a horse, so they're fine if I come in early and leave early, or come in late and stay late. Over the summer, I can do the latter when no one is in school so the traffic isn't bad. But these days I don't get in until 10:30 or so. Obviously I'll be there early if I have to, but it's really nice to be able to push the schedule around.

So glad I've been here a year! I don't know what the next year will hold for me career-wise, but for now, I'm pretty happy! And so is TC, since he does like it when I spend the money I make at my job on him.

3 comments:

  1. Working in higher ed definitely has its perks! Congrats on 1 year. I was like you before my Stanford Job, never staying at a job for a full year whether because I found something better or got laid off. Now I've been here almost 7 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary! It's amazing how wonderful it feels to have a job that's a really good fit.

    ReplyDelete