I spoke once on this blog about fear, and I have never tried to hide that I suffer from fear at times in my riding. I ran into someone recently who expressed surprise that you could be an upper level rider and have fear issues. Yep. Probably less likely to happen if you're an upper level eventer. But at least for me, totally possible.
| He's actually just a beach ball |
I mentioned in my post about Sunday's ride that I was a bit concerned about my ability to stay on if he did something because I was so sleep deprived. After getting nine hours of sleep on Sunday night (and being on east coast time so still able to wake up early! Love coming west!), I headed out to the barn rather confidently on Monday morning.
But that confidence went down a bit when I was leading TC out of his paddock and he leapt into the air. It went down further when all the horses around the barn started galloping around for breakfast. It went down even more when TC tried to join in with them when I got on him. And even further down when we walked over toward another horse who started exploding and TC became completely rigid.
| Fear is weird, some days I will ride him on a loose rein on the trails and then there are days like Monday |
![]() |
| Knee coming over block and horse still struggling to left with a slight lateral canter = harder work, not emotional response |
We went into the round pen and I told myself, no big deal, longe until you feel comfortable. Then get on and ride in the round pen until you feel bored, then take him back in.
By the end of the ride, we were doing our loop on a loose rein and I started thinking about the differences in how I approached fear in myself now versus fear earlier this year.
| So much ground work this last winter (also he was so dark a year ago) |
Earlier this year I would have blamed myself for not being brave enough to ride my own horse, I would have used my Gold medal as a way to shame me into riding him through stuff that I didn't want to ride through, I would have felt horrible after a bad ride. Instead, this year, I told myself that it's okay to lose confidence after not riding for a while and that we were just going to start over. It doesn't matter how experienced you are, fear doesn't discriminate. And sure, experience helps with fear, but it can still come back.
Dealing with it this way makes me feel excited to ride today and push a little further. If we take a week to recover from a week off, who cares? But if I had a bad ride that first day back when I was scared? And if I had dwelled on how bad it is that I'm fearful and an experienced rider? It'd definitely be taking longer than a week! As always, go slow to go fast.
Except... is it time to put changes on yet? No? Ugh. Okay. Go slow to go fast.

God I think that's so massively important, to treat fear carefully and progressively as a training issue rather than as something you need to "get over"
ReplyDeleteI also struggle with fear, and feel like it's a huge hole in riding instruction and mentalities to deal with fear. I always feel like my trainers have (in a well intention-ed way) bullied me through it, and I learned to bully myself through it but lately, I really am starting to realize how shitty that is to me, and to my horse. I also have to be a total adult ammy and realize that I need to get up and go to work the next day, and I can't finance my farm or my horse's continued place in my life if I don't preserve myself. It feels like crap to be afraid but it would be so much worse to get in a big escalating fight over something with my horse and get myself smashed in the process. I can't fix the issue if I can't afford to keep my horses, and I definitely can't fix the issue from a hospital bed.
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to teach my students to overcome their fear of exams like this. We can't stop them from taking exams until they feel good, but I can chip away at their confidence issues week by week with strategic exercises.
ReplyDeleteMy fave version of your quote is "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast"
My mom struggles with being a nervous rider and O always remind her that it really doesn't matter, take it at your own pace, and in time you will be where you never thought possible. Kudos to you!
ReplyDeleteGreat way to frame things!
ReplyDeleteI love this so much. I really beat myself about fear sometimes and it's nice to know that even more seasoned riders struggle sometimes too.
ReplyDeleteWhat a good way to think about it as just another thing do work on. I've never had anyone explain it that way before. I 100% got nervous on my boy when I first got him and dealing with it sometimes meant hand walking him home on a trail because staying on was too much. I don't regret it, because we could have made a bad memory (or a lot of them). Now instead of having bad experiences to remember we only have good trail ride memories from me taking my time with him.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely go slow to go fast. Many people don't get that!! Just do you.
ReplyDelete