I was wondering if TC was going to be excited about another outing or annoyed about it. He nickered at me when I went to get him and happily loaded into the trailer, so that was good! We used to haul out all the time for trail rides and clinics and lessons at our old barn. When he moved to the ranch two years ago, we stopped hauling out for trail rides, and last year we really didn't go anywhere. I'm glad he's enjoying all the outings!
We got to the clinic, which was right around the corner at Kate's barn, a bit late because, well, I have no real excuse. I've been so unbelievably exhausted on weekends lately, maybe that's my excuse. Also the clinic was 3 hours long and TC is still not in as good of shape as I want him to be (he's carrying around some extra chonkiness from his pasture right now). Honestly it worked out, because we missed a side passing exercise and as I mentioned last week, TC is weirdly amazing at side passing these days.
But despite being a bit late, it was so much fun! The clinician hadn't seen him in FIVE years, where she vividly remembered him kicking down her obstacles. I told her no promises that he wouldn't destroy them this time, but that he hadn't kicked anything down in a while.
| The pen with a little piggy in it! |
We started with the pen, where we were told to be more forward through it. Honestly, like how? He is a very large horse. Then we did some apparently acceptable walk pirouettes, which I haven't schooled in a long time.
We then went to the bending poles (WE people, please don't judge the words I'm using to describe these exercises lol) and got to do half pass and leg yield for the first time in a long time too! He was very good at it, so good that we were told to do it one handed and at the trot. He's not great at like, a super slow trot, so the trot was tough, but I can say confidently that I can do half pass (at the walk) with one hand!
| I took very few pictures |
Because there were so many of us, we had some downtime while some riders got extra help. TC took this time to stare at the pony club lesson next door. I told him "that'll be you in a few years" because I'm thinking that he might like to be a pony club horse for my nieces when he's in his later teens.
Also during downtime, I found him inching towards and then straight up following a couple of the horses around in a move I'd like to call "chaos recognizes chaos" because did he follow the most perfect Flounder around? Or the sweet lesson ponies? No he did not. He found Kate's most chaotic training horses in the group and decided to inch toward them. One of them was not a fan and walked away from him and TC pursued him. The other was like FRIEMBDS??? And I had to pull him away like no not you two. Then he saw Duende, his most favorite chaotic gray friend and I thought I might lose him over there.
| Creeping on the pony club |
The rest of the obstacles went well! I even got in some ETS practice both undersaddle and on the ground playing over the bridge. And TC got to jump over a cross rail for the first time outside of jumping at home and he was shocked when the jump appeared under him so it was not a graceful moment.
Our reining back could be improved, but I did discover that he does it best when I'm holding the reins in one hand because that's what I do when we're opening gates. We also apparently open the gate in a way that would let some cows out. TC has his own way of opening gates and I have zero influence over him. Oh well.
And that was it!
| My helmet camera's SD card was full booo it would have been so cool |
When we got back to the rig, TC hesitated for a second getting on the trailer. I think he misses living at a boarding stable a little bit. It's a better life for him to be at the ranch out in pasture of course, but he loves the activity of boarding stables and all the different horses/people there.
Luckily for him, we're going to be doing a lot this year now that I've stopped trying to return to dressage. We've got a few more ETS's, several playdays, and maybe we'll try a WE show. I dunno, I feel like it's a bit stuffy in comparison to the ETS's, but if there's a local one that I'm around for, I think it'd be fun to try not to get eliminated from!
No comments:
Post a Comment