Tuesday, May 30, 2023

TC the Warhorse

I've been introducing TC to mounted archery and it's been great! I mean, I expected nothing less, but he was actually kind of reactive to the thwap of the arrow hitting the target at first. Luckily for him, I rarely hit it. 

I started with a couple of ground work sessions where I just had TC in hand and clicked after every arrow I shot. I also rode around with the arrows and did things like shuffling them around, running them all over his body, and throwing them off of his back. But I hadn't yet shot off of him. 

Over the weekend, I got my field target out and decided to try it out!

Literally the most perfect animal

How he looks at me when I'm picking up arrows

We went into the arena and when he saw the target, he made a bee line for it and tried to bite it. I like to think that what's going through his mind is "I don't know what this is, but she HATES it, so I hate it too and I'll also try to kill it." 

I did one round of shooting from the ground and other than wanting to get his nose in between the bowstring and the bow to poke my face (omg TC seriously, so dangerous, luckily I wasn't trying to be quick about anything so I shoved him away), he was perfect. Just one minor startle when I hit the target and then he got used to it. 

At the trot!

Why you hate this thing so much?

Then I got on with just the arrows and did some desensitizing. No need though, he was super chill about it and the only task at the top of his mind seemed to be to go bother the target again. 

Next, I shot very lightly with my arm through my reins so that I didn't fall off the back. I aimed at the ground so that we avoided the thwap. He was super good about it! So I started to just play with it!

We did a lot standing still, a bunch walking, and I even trotted him and shot off of him! Being bareback, he is SO BOUNCY, so I didn't do it much. But I think I could legitimately canter and shoot off of him in my saddle, next time. 

I also started the process of shooting while standing on him, which I really want to do, mostly because I think it's going to look super cool, not for any other reason. 

Don't look as cool just walking but he is cute

After we do archery we roll

In the most ADORABLE news, my niece watched me practice on TC and was VERY interested in mounted archery. She's kind of in this "anything Aunt Mimi does is extremely cool" phase, which I think is going to get her bullied at school eventually given that she mostly wears leggings with her socks pulled up over them to mimic my boot socks. I am not a fashion icon, she will figure this out eventually. 

Anyway, I ordered her a kid's bow and arrows (with suction cups) immediately. The next time she was at the ranch, I taught her how to use it and she has been completely addicted to it ever since. She practiced for hours when we were at the ranch, told me that she wanted to tell Miss Kate and Miss Kenna (her riding instructors) that she *needed* to shoot arrows off of Ginger Pony, wanted to watch Brave all day, and took her bow and arrows home so that she could practice shooting arrows off of her pony at home. 

Almost cuter was my brother googling "archery for toddlers" which did not bring up much. But he wants to see if we can take her to a range to watch and there's also a mounted archery demo at Horse Expo that we'll be taking her to. 

And of course, when she starts riding TC, she can shoot off of him, although she told me that I'd have to help her because she has to hold onto the reins (would not listen to me when I told her that you actually have to drop your reins to shoot). 

So adorable, and she's so good, you can
literally tell her what to shoot and she
just does it... jealous...

Lots of treats of course

For me, there's a mounted archery clinic in early July that I might go to. It's a bit of a haul and comes at the end of my company's week long July 4th shutdown, but we'll see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment