Rico was incredibly fit and because of that, I was less worried about his soundness. When the horse is fit, they're less likely to get their muscles so fatigued that the muscle gives out and only the tendon remains to hold it together. My biggest fear of this happening was when I couldn't control the work, such as at a lesson or at a show. I wanted lessons and shows to be lighter work than his normal workout. Never did I want to leave a show or a lesson thinking "that was a hard workout for him!" and I never really did. I used to think that Rico probably would prefer to do more shows, since he got the day off before and after the show, and the show itself wasn't very much work.
![]() |
| We'll keep this pony thinking that shows are SUPER FUN and not at all tiring |
We're now starting to get more serious about his fitness now that spring has sprung.
With Rico, I used work sets to keep him fit. Essentially we'd have five or six eight-minute long sets that were spaced out by 2 minutes. So yes, the math is correct, Rico was ridden for about an hour and a half every day (including fifteen minutes of walking before and after). I varied the trot and canter work, but we had at least 15 minutes of canter and 25 minutes of trot each day. This seems like a lot, I know, and it was. Rico was a very quiet horse and was competing at the FEI levels, so I wanted him to be so fit that he was downright bouncing off the walls after a day off. It worked, clearly.
![]() |
| Fit horse and fit rider... not so much anymore but we both are enjoying it at least |
I know a lot of people fully believe that if you go out and ask for everything and the horse gives it to you, you should put them away, but honestly I've never really wanted to put fitness that far down. At least where TC lives, he really doesn't have any opportunity to self exercise. He lives in a large paddock that he can trot in, sure, but he doesn't. And he does get eurocized now 4 days a week for about 40 minutes, but that's all in walk, which is great for him and his fitness and I love that my barn does this, but isn't the same as working in collection.
![]() |
| We'll get back to this level of fitness soon, even more than this! |
I've never had him get sour or pissy about it, we do a lot of cross training out in the cross country field and we ride in the open every day. Plus, the horse loves to work.
Over the next month, we'll be increasing his work back to full work. This means more riding time for me and more training for him, which is excellent news! Now just to figure out how to grab a lesson at some point and then we're really set.



But how can I make my horse fit when riding is now suddenly like 4x harder than it used to be for me, and it hurts a lot, and I can barely get through 15 minutes of trot and 5 minutes of canter? HOWWWWW
ReplyDeletelol Nicole
DeleteUgh this is definitely a challenging area for me bc I *do* ride a sour pissy horse who gets reeeeeally annoyed if I ask the same question too many times. As in like. Too many canter transitions. As in like, 3. Sigh. We try to do a lot of fitness work in hacking to help build that fitness to make him a little hotter and more ready to go, but like you say, it isn’t exactly the same as fitness through actually doing the work.
ReplyDelete