Thursday, July 20, 2017

What Was Wrong With Sunny?

My family SERIOUSLY has the worst luck with horses. Now that everything is resolved and I actually had time to sit and write this post, I'm going to update you all on how little Sunny is doing.

I have no new pictures so here's him when I
rode him to try him out
 Sunny is my mom's new horse who she bought back in May. Since then he has absolutely been her dream horse. She's only had to put me on him twice- once on the first ride and then once when she was riding him bareback and wanted me to canter him. She and my dad have hauled out to ride at a few trail facilities and he's perfect. The best part is that he whinnies at her every day. She totally deserves a horse as great as this.

And it's a good thing that he is so great. Because just after he was purchased, it came out that he has silicosis. It's a disease that affects only horses boarded in a certain area in California, where Sunny was from. It essentially breaks down the rebuilding of bone, so the horses will basically start to develop what appears to be arthritis, but is actually bone pain. Some horses also/instead develop lung problems, but so far (fingers crossed) Sunny seems to just have the problems with his bones.

My mom found out because he seemed to be acting weird- on the first day I rode him he was very hesitant about going on the bit (I mean I don't want to brag but I *can* put a horse on the bit), then he was being weird about putting his head down to eat. So she took him to the vet and *poof* silicosis. Damnit.

So cute
She contacted the old owner but let's be real here- we didn't expect the owner to take him back or anything. Plus, I mean, my mom isn't going to ask much of this horse anyway, there IS a treatment option (but it is expensive and long term effects are still unknown), and he is legit her dream horse. So when the owner refused to take him back but instead offered some of the purchase price back, we were cool with that.

Since then Sunny has been treated and is now off of previcox! He will probably get a bone scan this year to get an idea of what his baseline is. My mom had gotten insurance on him, so all of his treatment is covered this year (including the expensive shot). She's also looking into some good bone/joint supplements, so if you have suggestions, please leave them here!

Outside of the silicosis, Sunny remains a dream. It's so fun to see my mom have her very own perfect horse. Hopefully Sunny will remain rideable for many years and his silicosis won't prove to be a problem for my family, but he is quiet enough where if worse comes to worse, he can transition to a life of leasure being a grand child pony while my mom leases/buys something else.

My mom says he likes that he's so photogenic. All of her horses
have been photogenic so she's been spoiled, TC sometimes looks
like a donky
Let me say that this horse REALLY lucked out. He'll have a home with my parents forever, even if he can't be ridden. He seems to know how lucky he is, he whinnies at everyone and is just perfectly well behaved. My mom says even more perfect than Rico, but I just don't believe her.

Good pony, Sunny.

14 comments:

  1. Man if the people knew the horse had it and sold him to you, you can sue them, there is precedent in the state of california.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that was my first instinct, but she released all vet records and her reaction to hearing it seemed incredibly genuine. So my parents decided not to go further in that direction. Plus my mom loves him so so much haha I think she wanted him even if it turned out he had three legs.

      Delete
    2. "Oh my god... Megan... I've just noticed that Sunny only has three legs."
      "WHAT?"
      "I think his perfection in every other dimension was hiding it from me before. I thought he just stood SUPER SQUARE."

      Delete
  2. Ugh, that is just rotten luck :(
    He is a lucky boy to have landed with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Sunny! And so perfect in every other way by the sounds of it! Fingers crossed for a long, happy and useful life for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What rotten luck! But Sunny definitely landed in the best home possible for him. Fingers crossed he enjoys many years of usefulness for your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there something in the diet of horses in that area that leads to this disease? Learn something every day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man, poor Sunny! i'm so glad he's found you tho, even tho i don't necessarily wish that type of treatment or diagnosis on anybody - seems like he'll get the absolute best with your mom, while returning the favor of being the best for her too. fingers crossed he's easily managed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He looks like such a sweetie! He's lucky to have your family though. Doc's OCD- it's supposed to build bone density/lay down new bone/help joints/fix OCD lesions/fix osteoarthritis/be magical. Email the company and tell them Sunny's age and diagnosis, and see what they say. I'm sure they'll tell you it will help, but they might have something more meaningful to say. I emailed them about Mikey's fracture bed- they were hopeful that it would help, but said to give him the problem dose (about $100 a month) and it might take 6 months or more to notice a difference because of his age (16).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gah he is just SO CUTE! I sure hope something works for him, poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is so adorable and I'm also crossing my fingers that your parents will have him as a riding horse for an amazingly long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry that had to happen to a perfectly sweet guy :(

    Roger has osselets from racing, so I've had him on SmartFlex pellets for the past 2+ years, and I really like it. He's never showed any signs of pain or irritation in his ankles, and I like the overall joint protection/health that it provides. It's also relatively affordable, maybe that could be an option to look into for Sunny?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of this before! What causes it?

    ReplyDelete