Wednesday, July 19, 2017

On the Lake

In a summer filled with too many vacations (which I know is a first world problem, but to be perfectly honest, I just want to be home enough to put some training on my horse who I am showing very soon), bf and I hopped on yet another plane last Friday and took off to see his parents.

His parents have a lake house and were so so generous to let us come hang out for the weekend and relax. Despite just being on Lake Superior in Michigan, where we did lots of lake activities (kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, relaxing in tubes), this was a very different lake experience, because we went out on the boat and did some more extreme lake activities. I have some battle wounds to show for it.

Look at this beautiful lake, it wouldn't maim you and leave you
for dead!
 We landed on Friday night and they swung through town on their way so picked us up with bf's childhood dogs. We got to cuddle them all the way back to the house, which was awesome. Love dogs so much.

Saturday morning we ate a delicious breakfast and headed out for a day on the water. To be perfectly honest, all of the days ran together, so just assume that at one point or another, the day started with a delicious breakfast and then we went on the water. We were there three days and flew back Monday night.

Lake activities for me included knee boarding, boogie boarding on a wake surf board, and wake surfing. Also lots of sitting on floaty things and drinking vodka + juice, which tasted mostly like juice until you realized that you just barely escaped saying questionably appropriate things in front of bf's family by taking another sip.

Knee boarding was the easiest for me, it was a lot like my jumping lessons this winter: sit down, shoulders back, hands up, don't lean forward my god you might fall on your face. It involved more core and definitely felt like contact on a horse (well, contact on a horse I wouldn't want to ride lol).

As good as it got, then I fell 
The first time I tried wake surfing I failed miserably. Looking back it's because I ride goofy, but the boat was set up for me to be normal (muahaha I am never normal) so I shot off in the wrong direction and was really uncomfortable trying to pull myself back the other way. But bf's brother had done what was basically boogie boarding instead. I've boogie boarded a lot so asked if I could try and despite lodging probably 4 gallons of water into my eyes, had a lot of fun doing that!

On the last day I finally figured out what was wrong with the wake surfing and opted to try it with the wave facing the other way and FINALLY made it up and over there! I fell a lot and still struggled to get up, but it was super fun. I had a few good runs, but nothing like bf, his brother, or his dad, who were all expert wake surfers.

We were going to celebrate my birthday two weeks early since his parents don't live anywhere near us and wouldn't be able to come up to visit. But unfortunately bf got sick so his parents went to get us food (and literally brought back five desserts for my birthday, omg they are the best) while I commiserated with him and we watched some tv. After dinner, bf was feeling better, so we all played some card games, where the entire family turned on me as I was winning and from then on I was known as "that cheater, Megan" which was hilarious. Sorry that you're so bad at card games, bf's family.
Two minutes after getting on my horse after three
days off and I'm already putting safety third

It was all over too soon, though I was eager to get back to TC. Poor guy has had 3 1/2 solid rides since July 1st and we have a show soon. Good thing the horse is a rock star and does better with time off than his terrible, terrible owner does. We have six rides until then though, so we'll be fine. The tests are easy and fun and I'm mostly just excited to get his name next to mine on Centerline scores, then we can worry about actually being consistent.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you on the too many vacations thing. I love my schedule and being able to ride my pony and make consistent progress. I'm looking forward to things getting slightly quieter in August and then much quieter in September. I can't wait to hear how it goes for both of you at your upcoming shows!

    ReplyDelete