So the few days that we get glorious sun here and there are really great. It's almost weird at this point to get a break in the rain. And obviously I was sick. On weekends where it pours rain all weekend? Totally not sick. On the one weekend where it isn't raining? Of course I'm sick.
But there's a fine line between too sick to work and too sick to
jump ponies
|
I wasn't about to let being sick and seriously out of shape keep me from jumping again, so come Sunday I headed up to her barn.
I got there and her students ran to get me Ginger again. I'm seriously loving this pony and definitely need a 15.2h version of her after TC and I figure out what we're doing. We warmed up a bit, giving my lungs a break whenever I struggled to breathe (which was a lot). Kate asked to see my half seat and I was able to hold it for like... not very long. Maybe eight strides, but that'd be being generous I think. It's such a foreign feeling, and I mean even just being ON horses at this point for longer than a few minutes is, so half seat is extra foreign. Especially with
My leg was NOT going to stay where it needed to be, and I got into my old habit of nagging with my heel every stride. Something I do NOT do if my butt is in the saddle. I think it makes me feel more stable when I'm up in half seat though. So I worked on keeping my leg down, which then made me feel like I was going to fall backwards, causing me to float forward over my hand because, you know, I fall off the back all the time. Gah.
No more pony pictures because my phone ran out of battery,
boo. But here's Rico
|
But even with more bad habits coming up, we did work on *different* things from last time, and I only got told I was jumping ahead a few times (that first picture is a good example of it, too bad my phone ran out of battery! I think it got better... maybe not).
And you know what, this time the fun outweighed the frustration. It didn't feel so odd to be cantering down to the jumps, I didn't have this weird deer-in-the-headlights feeling about jumping. And when Kate put the jumps up, my eyes didn't bug out of my head quite so much. I mean they still did. But not as much as they did last time.
We ended with a little course, riding the line and then turning in the air over the last fence to a diagonal fence, then going back to the line the other direction. At first it was *really* hard to turn and jump at the same time.
I told Kate that I can't do more than one thing on a horse at a time. Okay so I can do the pirouette pattern from the Grand Prix test pretty well, enough for some solid 7s at my last test- pirouette on centerline thinking about sitting tall, weighting the outside hind leg, controlling the shoulder/steps/speed/roundness/vomit coming up my esophagus, ride out straight on centerline to a straight clean big expressive change without tipping or kicking or swinging sideways and immediately set up for the second pirouette in much the same way as the first before spicing up the canter around the corner to prep for the next movement... but please don't make me turn AND jump at the same time.
I gave him the worst haircut the other day and I really need
to go redo it lol
|
So the first try ended with me landing and then having to do a simple change for the turn, as the pony likes to push off more with her right hind than her left, causing her to want to jump right-left and land on the left lead. The next time around I managed to get the lead over the second fence in the line, but then the pony ran out at the diagonal fence because I once again left a door open, woops.
Finally the last time, I got leads over both fences AND we jumped all the fences. Buuuuut I totally did this move I used to do on Stretch when I was showing him many years ago and leaned hard sideways to get the leads. I laughed because I feel like I'm taking Kate on a rapid journey through my jumping career. I used to duck quite a lot, now that I'm not doing that anymore, I'm revisiting my jumping ahead and leaning that plagued my teenage years.
I wonder what's coming up next! Nothing for a while, as we're entering yet another crazy rainstorm that will likely leave me off the cutest pony ever for a while.
After the lesson we went to see if Junior was feeling better from his thrush (seriously SO MUCH RAIN these days) so that I could pay Kate back for her lessons by helping her with some Second level stuff with him. Alas he avoided the work, so I gave Kate my three favorite counter canter exercises and promised to help her next time!
You need to steal that pony. She's small, I'm sure you could keep her in your kitchen. :)
ReplyDeleteKate miiiight have told me that I might be able to do a jumping class on her at the next schooling show and I miiiight have asked how small the smallest courses are. I love her but she's so little, makes the jumps look bigger than they are! I need something that makes the jumps look small but is simultaneously not too far from the ground when I inevitably fall off the front because I'm leaning at the fences.
DeleteSeriously thrush is an epic battle this year! Glad you are having a blast jumping :)
ReplyDeleteSo far my two have avoided it but I have a feeling it's coming for us!
DeleteAh it sounds like you had SO MUCH FUN! :D
ReplyDeleteI love jumping that pony! She's been so much fun to relearn all these things on. And it's definitely getting less frustrating! Though I can't speak for how frustrating I am for Kate to teach because I am kind of a pain in the ass lol
DeleteI gotta say. I am LOVING reading about your course riding experiences!!! That pony is awesome!! Also idk what it is but I've been working on trying to improve my dressage leg, being looser and freer in the leg so I'm not clamping down and curling up all the time. And now.... My jumping leg ain't so great either haha. I'm pretty sure there's a balance in there that I just haven't found yet... But it's a struggle!!
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely a different feeling! When I'm in jump position but not nagging, I feel like my leg is shoved down, something I had to learn NOT to do in dressage when I switched from jumping to dressage. My dressage position feels so much more stable (and actually it's weak now too). Definitely have (and always have had) a lot of respect for people who do both, it's really hard to switch between them.
DeleteThe visuals have been helping me a lot with the jumping since I default to my dressage position so easily! Kate says to show the jump the bottom of my feet, and then L told me to think about squatting like in weightlifting and both of those have helped a lot! It used to come so much more naturally to me haha
That pony is so cute! I'm way too tall to look decent on any pony
ReplyDeleteShe's the best pony! I feel ridiculous on her- I'm 5'6 and she's 14h I think, maybe 14.1. I feel better on 15.1-15.2 I think! TC is 16.1 and I feel tiny on him. He's also an enormous mover so that helps make me feel small and weak too lol
Delete