Since I had come to the conclusion that if TC was going to be unrideable due to mental or physical limitations, he was going to be at the very least, easy to deal with on the ground, things have gotten much better.
| The sunrise on the way to the barn, not edited, the sky is just amazing sometimes |
I've been working on getting him more comfortable with certain things and learning to handle himself better when he doesn't like stuff. For example, when I'm leading him and I walk to the side of a puddle, I expect him to walk through the puddle. For a while he would crowd behind me. That's not the behavior you want a horse who has a habit of dragging you down the road at a gallop to have. This crowding indicated that the puddle was more effective at changing his behavior than I was. Meaning he weighed the option of crowding me vs getting his feet wet and he thought crowding me was the better option.
So he walks through puddles now, or at least tries to skirt around them away from me. He also does the same thing when I ask him to walk near something he doesn't like. Such as the trailer that has been there the whole time he's lived there. Or the manure truck that has been there the whole time he's lived there. Or the pile of mats that have been there the whole time he's lived there. I've been standing him next to them and then I've taught him to shift his weight and move his shoulders toward it (since he tends to throw his shoulder away from it and into me, causing me to get off balance so that I'll open the door for him to gallop away from me). I've also taught him to take small steps and "sneak" past these things rather than realize I'm going to make him get too close to them and try to gallop away from them.
So generally, things have been a lot easier. I mean the whole situation SUCKS. I hate it. But at this point the situation is the only thing that has been hard- the horse has been relatively easy to handle.
| Wandering around in the field is now less terrifying for both of us |
The leg has generally stayed down for a couple weeks, only getting slightly puffy alongside the other leg when it is warm out. I don't like that, but I also know from experience that Rico's legs did that every summer until he was put into pasture, and now his legs have never looked better. I'm really hoping, for both of our sake, that the same happens for TC in pasture.
Just a couple more weeks and then he's going to be so happy to be back out with friends! Although these friends are kind of boring- he'll be living with two retired horses. When the rain stops, he'll move to the gelding pasture. I don't want him in there now because there's no shelter, it's bigger/has more horses, and there's a creek running through it so it isn't totally flat. I think he's going to have the time of his life come summer though!
Fingers crossed we can get through the next exactly 22 days without killing each other and without his leg flaring up.
Every once in a while I'll pull Murray out of his stall in the winter and be like HOLY SHIT WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR LEGS and then remember no turnout = sadness. This life... wasn't really meant for them.
ReplyDeleteThat's what I'm hoping! Rico's legs looked so questionable when he was in the stall and paddock (and he had one like four times the size of TC's) and the second he was in pasture, his legs looked great! Ugh. I kept him out of pasture for so long to protect the damn things. Really hoping the same thing happens with TC!
DeleteFingers crossed that everything goes smoothly and well. Glad you are taking charge!
ReplyDeleteThanks! Just a few more weeks until we're hopefully both feeling much better.
DeleteGreat insight about the puddle being more effective than you at influencing your behavior. That's a really... Clear way of putting it haha. So glad your changes are improving him so much on the ground!!!
ReplyDeleteHorses that behave on the ground are just so much easier to deal with day in and day out.
ReplyDelete