I found out on Sunday night that TC has been being given 3 flakes of alfalfa every day instead of the ONE flake he's supposed to be getting. So that may explain why he's been off his rocker recently. I feel bad because it really puts into perspective why Saturday was tough, so I'm keeping that in mind writing this.
![]() |
| Hanging in the round pen on Sunday after our ride |
TC is getting a bit more chill about the ranch, so unloading him was a non-issue and he stood relatively quietly while I tacked him up and set up the soloshot. In the arena, TC was amped and ready to go.
Unfortunately lately, with the additional power, we've lost brakes. It was very apparent on Saturday when TC was completely dislodging himself from my seat and running into the bridle, shortening his neck, and then just leaning against me. TC doesn't... lean... on the bridle, so this was surprising.
I was kind of just lost at what to do. TC has been really great in the bridle in the past, and I feel like it's been disintegrating for a few months. He's had his teeth done, we've tried a different bit, he's got his saddle fit...
So I just threw in a ton of downward transitions and slowly was able to get his neck out in front of me.
![]() |
| Palm trees in the background, the weather has been pretty good for the last week! But now we're getting more rain... |
I had a moment when I had gotten off and TC was screaming for no one where I just felt like selling him and getting an easier horse, a horse better built for this sport I insist on doing. I decided in the moment that I was too stubborn to do that. It would annoy me more than his sudden leaning problem if someone else were to take him up the levels. I've gone through almost all the shit years! And looking back, way way too much alfalfa explains why he's been feeling like crap - he could be low key tying up.
So I decided in that moment to splurge on some lessons. I'm hoping to grab a weekly lesson starting next weekend for maybe three to four weeks. Then I'll back off and be an adult and stick to my budget. I figure it's the equivalent of a horse show or two, and work is picking up so I may even be able to recover from it and still show this summer.
![]() |
| Being sassed by a goat on Sunday |
I was still feeling kind of bummed about how things have been for the last few weeks, but TC stuck his head in my arms and played with my helmet and was just generally being really cute, so that was a big pick me up. I do really like him, he's an absolute goofball. My main goal is dressage but I think once again I've gotten too caught up in that and have forgotten why I still own this horse. Because he's the coolest, even if we're going through a rough spot training-wise.
I went through hard YEARS with Rico, where every ride was awful and such a fight. Regular lessons was what fixed that for us. I think TC and I have been on our own far too much, I just want to have someone else make some of these training decisions for me!



Ugh. Sorry you hit this wall. I am not a trainer but I do recall a clinician telling me that when a horse is working in second level they can really start to lean. It's way to compensate for the exra work from behind they have to do.
ReplyDeleteUgh yeah I absolutely understand re: adulting or more lessons - I'm in that conundrum right now as well. DAMN YOU MONEY!
ReplyDeletere the alfalfa: UM, THAT'LL DO IT. My horse was getting one flake a day for awhile and it was making his eyeballs pop out of his head. No more alfalfa for you, silly deer.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard when you're on your own a lot, it feels like you're not making as much progress. I am living that life right now. When I do get the chance to take a lesson, I realize I'm actually not that far off from where I want/am supposed to be. It's just harder for me to function without constant feedback...
It's hard when we run into those walls, but try not to think of them as walls... but instead as a minor deviation from the path :) You can still get back onto that path again.
ReplyDelete