| Solution: Buy my own |
I was pretty close to being able to buy it, but then I moved and bought a horse trailer. So I deposited those checks and used the cash for my horse's shoes.
Soon, I was wanting it again to record my lessons at Tanya's barn last month (but huge thanks to Peony for letting me basically steal her Pixio for a month!!). So I thought about how I could let myself buy it. Sure, I still could say that the money technically is just sitting in my savings account, but just impulse buying it sounded like a bad idea. I wanted to feel like I earned it. I dunno why I'm like this. I've also decided that the only way I'm replacing my mostly disintegrated snaffle bridle is to win one at a horse show next year since they let you earn points that you can spend in their little store.
| Screenshots because gifs weren't working, oh well! |
When I quit that job, I worked hard to finish it, and so Fall 2016 I was ready to defend. I had practiced my defense a ton, bought new clothes to wear for it (and all the conferences I now go to), and had taken a half day off of work at my new job despite not being allowed to yet (first month of working there). The night before my defense, one of my committee members said he wouldn't pass it no matter what and was kind of a dick about it.
I immediately talked to my adviser and he said we could do it in spring. I didn't go to my defense. And by this point, I was really scared, and pissed off, and frustrated. For all of 2017, I didn't even touch it. I was so defeated. I had ABT on my resume and my job only requires a Bachelors so the MA coursework was just a bonus.
Come spring 2018 and my frustration shifted from defeat to that feeling of I'm going to fucking do this thing even if I have to cut a bitch. I did the coursework, I have a fully written thesis, I'm passing this thing NOW.
| Hey that's my house |
And then I ordered myself the Soloshot (actually Soloshot was ordered early because the 25x went on a major sale, but I sent it to my parents' house so my mom could keep it until I finished, I knew she wouldn't relinquish it until it was done and this is why she's the best). I could have forced myself to wait until I actually had the degree in hand, but honestly I love presenting/public speaking so the defense wasn't the hurdle.
I grabbed it on Saturday when I went down to teach and got it working on Sunday afternoon! I'll do a full post on how it is to use, and probably a detailed comparison of the Soloshot vs Pixio once as I get the hang of it. But if you saw the drop in price in the 25x and are thinking about getting it, do it. It's been tracking really well, super easy to use, and is very quick to set up- I've been using it in the mornings before work.
| We took it easy this day but he still looks pretty good! |
So jealous!
ReplyDeleteLiving in the north means riding inside for most of the year, thus the Pixio would be the better option. Too bad or I might take advantage of that sale!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I am so jealous and yay I am so glad you are going to finally get the thesis off your plate!
ReplyDeleteI am very very jealous! Good for you for completing your thesis. I was totally jerked around for my masters thesis that I finished it and left the university.
ReplyDeleteEeeeh, glad you finally got it! And big congrads on finishing your thesis!
ReplyDeleteSo keen to see your update on pixo vs soloshot.
ReplyDeleteI would love to get one, but not sure which!
Might follow in your footsteps and buy one after I defend my dissertation at the end of this year haha.
Wow, what a ride with your Masters. I'm totally procrastinating on that one. It's not mandatory, and life is more fun without school. Especially since I am currently helping a first grader every night. Can't wait to see the comparison. I'd love to set one up one day.
ReplyDeleteOooh!! I'm super interested to see what your comparison is. The soloshot is much cheaper than the pixio
ReplyDelete