Thursday, August 2, 2018

300 Rides with the Equisense

It feels like I've ridden with it for a lot more than that in the last year and a half that I've had it, but I just hit 300 rides with my equisense!

The equisense provides some averages for all of their measures and I figured I'd share them in this post. This is from the last year and a half (bought it in December 2016).

Average Ride Time: 47:25

Average Halt Time: 4:07
Average Walk Time: 28:21
Average Trot Time: 8:58
Average Canter Time: 5:56

I think these are a bit odd because I've used the equisense on walking trail rides or on days where I think we're going to work but we end up just standing around and talking to people and wandering around the ranch. I also tend to turn it off after I'm done working, but still walk out for 10 minutes or so afterward, so the walk times are all kinds of messed up.

Over the last year and a half, TC has been in and out of full work. When I first got the equisense, we were lucky to get any work done at all because we were building up his weak stifle (growing pains), then last year he was great, but then last winter we took it way easy. So currently he's doing more like 12-15 minutes of trot and 8-10 minutes of canter, but the average times very much don't reflect that. Which is fine because that's not what averages do.

Last year when TC was kinda bad lol
Average Symmetry: 7.3

Symmetry is tough because TC's will drop when we do harder work, like half steps. He also had kind of a crap symmetry score when his stifle was not great. I'd love to get his symmetry much higher of course, but there's a balance there. If I let him go kinda on the forehand and kinda over the ground too much, his symmetry score leaps up to the 8-8.5 range. Soooo yeah.


Average Walk Stride Frequency: 46.9 s/min
Average Trot Stride Frequency: 75.5 s/min
Average Canter Stride Frequency: 94.6 s/min

TC's canter tempo is definitely a bit on the slow side while I think his trot could slow down a bit more. TC is also a card carrying member of the Slow Walk Club, so that's quite slow as well.


A good symmetry day
 Average Walk Stride Regularity: 3/10
Average Trot Stride Regularity: 7.4/10
Average Canter Stride Regularity: 5.5/10

Regularity is another one that can be deceptive. I can get a real nice regularity score if we don't do any lengthenings or shortenings. The only one that is a bit annoying is the walk, but again he walks so so so slow out on the track, which is fine, and then marches in the arena. So of course the regularity is questionable.


Average Walk Elevation: 2.3cm
Average Trot Elevation: 12.3cm
Average Canter Elevation: 22.6cm

Elevation is pretty cool. TC's elevation has definitely gone up since I've started riding with Tanya. The canter especially was hovering around a 20 for a while and now we're getting a lot of 23s.

Damn look at that elevation

So here's to another 300 rides with this thing! In honor of my 300th ride yesterday, I totally forgot to turn it on today. Yeah... maybe tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Damn I don't think I've yet clocked 100 rides on mine yet. Still love the device though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite thing! I don't know how I ever rode without it...

      Delete
  2. So interesting! I luff the data, although I'd be more interested in owning one if they did better scoring laterals and changes within gait. I'd probably just ride big straight lines all day to make the scores as high as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly use it for symmetry and for the amount of time I spend at each gait. It really helps with conditioning that way!

      Delete
  3. This is SO cool. I am glad you are still enjoying the product. I use the freebie app and it isn't 100% accurate, but I enjoy being able to go back and see what kind of schooling we did, how long it was, turning ratios, etc. It's interesting to play around with.

    ReplyDelete