We may have hit the 100s for a week here and there, but we were in an area that always got windy in the afternoons and always got pretty cold overnight. So essentially, aside from a few days a year, if you rode at 7:30am or at 6:30pm, you were pretty good temperature-wise.
I'm just now getting my first dose of the central valley heat up here- it was 95 for a few days last weekend- and I do not like it.
![]() |
| Summer means beach rides maybe?? |
It did not cool down. I got to the barn around 5 and it was 96, but there was no wind at all, so it felt much hotter. I hosed him down and went inside, thinking that I'd ride in the evening. It was still 89 degrees at 8pm when I decided to just go feed him and try again Tuesday morning.
This week is my first week doing my 9/80, where I work 9 hours a day Tuesday through Friday, and then have every other Monday off and every other Monday I work 8 hours. We do this through summer term since work slows down a bit. It's ten weeks, so five Mondays off! I decided to flip my schedule to riding in the morning for the summer too. First, that's the only time that it's remotely cool enough to work the horse and second, it means that I'll hit less traffic so the 9 hours a day doesn't feel so bad.
Riding Tuesday morning (high = 97) was rough even at 6:30am! I was on by 6:40, started working him just before 7, stopped working him at 7:30, and got off of him at 7:45. By 7:15 it was in the 70s and the sun was beating down on us. And this isn't even the summer heat!
Luckily Horse Expo is happening soon so I'll be researching all the summer things. I have one pair of tights, that I was going to reserve for wearing on the hottest days or where I had to ride in the afternoons, though I think I may need more pairs. I definitely need to get a helmet with better ventilation (definitely need recommendations, I have a more oval shaped head so a lot of helmets don't fit me well, only the COs seem to and they're hot as hell). I think I'm going to nix the gloves for the summer too. They have holes in them where my reins go anyway so it's not like they're doing anything.
And then I need to figure out what to do with TC heat-wise. He's already on electrolytes so nutritionally I'm not worried about him. He also has a fan. I'm thinking about rinsing him off in the evenings when I get home from work, it's not the heat of the day but again, it's still in the 80s at like 7:30-8pm so I'm sure he'd appreciate being cooled down.
Any summer advice for me and for the horse is appreciated! I'm more worried about him, as I live on site and can jump in the shower before heading to work.

When Promise was in fairly consistent work in FL, I would skip leg wraps and hose her chest, belly and legs down really well before working her. I found it helped to keep her a bit cooler during our sessions. I also tried to go early in the morning or after the sun had set, and to keep the work as short and concise as possible, for both of us!
ReplyDeleteI have a Tipperary Sportage helmet, and I really love it. I have a big head that I've always had trouble finding helmets for and it fit great right out of the box. It also has lots of adjustable padding options to adapt fit, and I find the ventilation to be pretty amazing.
I ride in the mornings for the summer so I don't die of heat/humidity here in the Midwest, and it definitely helps! I use a cheap schooling helmet for most of the summer as opposed to my CO -- I have an Ovation (like $45 from RW?) And I think Tipperary has one about the $100 mark that's supposed to be pretty well ventilated.
ReplyDeleteI overheat super easily and have a horse who doesn't sweat and decided I should go live in Alabama and the Carolinas for seven years, SO.
ReplyDelete- Ventilated helmet, ASAP. I have the exact opposite shape head so I am no help there, but my One K is my coolest helmet.
- Add something like LiquidIV or LyteShow to your water bottle. Swear this has saved my life multiple times.
- Tech tops - UnderArmour, Nike, whatever - pick them up at TJ Maxx
- I can't ride without gloves, but I go for summer type ones with mesh over the back if possible.
- One of those cooling towels
- Rubbing alcohol to cool horses off quickly post-ride and ACV rinses to take off sweat marks
Any of the Texas bloggers have good tips too since they basically ride in hell.
I have an oval shaped head too. I like the tipperary sportage helmets. Lots of ventilation. They come with little pads to shape the helmet the way you want and I add some along the side to make it oval shaped. I've been wearing them for years. I also recommend the Kerrits Icefil tights. They fall apart FAST, but they are very cool and my favorite for when it's hot.
ReplyDeleteI remember when I lived in Davis jumping in the pool when I got home from work around 10pm. It was an unheated pool, but still warm!
ReplyDeleteI also have an oval head and while they’re a bit ugly Tipperary are the MOST comfortable helmets I’ve ever worn and they’re really nice and light and breathable. Horze has some really nice tights on clearance at RW and they’re pretty flattering too.
ReplyDelete