| Not used to seeing these ears with that backdrop |
He unloads better and better every time we go there. He still wants to dance in the cross ties, which includes pawing, wiggling, bowing down like a dog, striking the air, and sometimes rearing. If I have more time next weekend, I'm going to leave him in the cross ties for a couple of hours, but this last weekend I was on a schedule, so we tacked up and off we went.
It was temping to get on him at the barn, but he's still afraid of the automatic gate so I took him down to the arena in hand. We're doing less and less ground work before I get on, I mostly just check the brakes and off we go.
He's quite tense starting out, and it's up to me to be really chill. Which is hard, but I'm getting better at it. If I stay relaxed and put him to work, he starts using his brain properly rather than spiraling into more tension.
I started out with some spiraling in and out. I really want to get used to doing a routine when we go off the property so that I can do it at horse shows too. Pick up a trot, spiral in and out, change directions, spiral in and out, canter lots of circles in each direction. By the end of that work, I had a rideable horse!
| How did he grow up so fast?! |
| So relaxed |
I managed to get some video of the second half of my ride (we didn't do much). It shows a bit of all of that stuff, including me struggling to sit the trot and botching a canter transition. Oops. Oh well. I'm focusing on the fun and that means not giving a shit when stuff goes wrong. For the most part, I'm super pleased with how well he's going these days. I love this horse. He's so fun.
We have one more weekend in between now and our next schooling show. The plan is to take him to the ranch again. That trip plus the schooling show will mean seven trips in eight weeks. Good. I'm ready for my totally chill traveler please.
You two look amazing! All your hard work is paying off :)
ReplyDeleteThanks! It was a rough winter but we seem to be coming out of it okay. I'm still just freakishly grateful for every ride I get on him. He's a really fun horse!
DeleteYay TC!
ReplyDeleteUsing his hippo brains and everything!!
DeleteWhen did he get so big??? What a beefcake! And so fancy!
ReplyDeleteThanks! He's not gotten any taller, he just packs on muscle like no other, I love it. His neck is finally looking almost normal again.
DeleteOrrrrr you could "accidentally" put him in my trailer. I won't do ANY DRESSAGE but instead will give him a life of pets and cookies and tail brushing
ReplyDeleteHaha
But actually I'm so glad to read he's getting better in new places
I'm sure he would love that! My eventual goal is to be able to go trail riding with you! Even if we just walk and you have to talk me off the edge a few times lol
Deletei feel like the full force of his tail isn't felt until you see him straight on from directly behind him haha. dayum that's a tail. also your hills are so pretty all green like that! glad he's settling into the routine so well!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's so heavy!! I feel like it weights his butt down a bit, which is excellent. I can't believe how long the hills are staying green! We got so much rain this winter, ugh.
DeleteI am totally jealous of seven trips in 8 weeks. And I'm also working on developing an away from home routine, which I hope will encourage Murray to relax and settle in a bit more when we travel. Fingers crossed on that one.
ReplyDeleteIt's so tough with these tense horses! I am also very tense and like to add my tension to the mix and then complain about how tense my horse is... but yes more off property experience is always the answer! I feel really lucky that I have the ability to do it so often. Last year I was not so lucky and it was so hard.
DeleteHes so stunning!
ReplyDelete