On Wednesday, my vet turned chiropractor came out to poke at him. It was last minute, so I had to run out of work early and couldn't ride him first, but I'm glad he got to see her. TC has a little roach in his lower back that is either caused by or causes tension back there, which sometimes makes him sore. He's been a little back and hind-quarters sore for a long while now, it doesn't prevent him from working (and actually working is good for it), but it's always on my mind.
The excellent news is that he wasn't sore at all this time! And he doesn't need to see her for another month, which is really good for my bank account, given what he was up to on Friday.
| LOVE this shot that Olivia got from the horse show, oh my god. I mean he's super short nose to tail and I perpetually search the ground for god knows what, but damn this horse has some lift to him |
Friday he saw the vet for shots, teeth, and a sheath cleaning (I normally do it myself, but the damn horse kicks at me when I go in there, we're working on it). The last time he had his teeth done was when I bought him in September 2015. The vet said that he had some points but nothing that was actively bothering him, so that was good timing! I was worried it was too late. The other interesting thing was that he is going to be teething soon- his upper canines aren't in yet. To be honest, I wasn't even aware they weren't in yet, I kind of didn't pay attention to that. Woops.
But the vet just said that he might fling his head a bit when they start coming in. Apparently you can use oragel on them for rides if it gets really bad. I was riding him when he lost his last baby teeth and I didn't really notice it bothering him. Still, something to look out for.
| From our Saturday ride, there were so many people at the riding school for some easter thing, and TC was so good about it! |
Unfortunately this meant that he had a bit of a light riding week, but I'm happy to report that he remained pretty chill about the lack of riding. He had a day off on Monday, then a light ride on Tuesday, then a day off on Wednesday. On Thursday I didn't ride him until the evening and it was cold and windy. He was maybe a bit spookier than normal and quicker at the canter, but he stayed with me and was relatively quiet. Good pony! We both love his big paddock, and I got him a jolly ball that he seems to mostly be ignoring but at least he has an opportunity to play with something.
Vet said he could go immediately back to work on Saturday, so that's what we did!
Yay for having the vet out for non-leg related things!
ReplyDeleteKatai can sympathize, it's certainly that time of year!
ReplyDeleteoh boy teeth!
ReplyDeleteYay routine vet visits!
ReplyDelete