| He ran to the end of his paddock to avoid me, would not come in for food |
On Wednesday I decided to haul Rico out to Harvey Bear. I'm down to the last month and a bit of TC not taking over my life, and who knows when I'll get a job and be ridiculously busy again. I really want to go on some adventures with Rico while I still like horses and still have time.
When he saw me getting the trailer ready, pulling it out and putting shavings in, he walked quickly to the end of the paddock. I brought him a little bit of bute, something we've been doing for trail rides to help calm his coffin joints down (avoids the need to inject them since they only bother him on trail rides). He still refused to come in. I had to go get the halter. After that though, he was super on board with going somewhere.
He bullied me on the way to the trailer, trying to get me to move out of his way so he could rush in. On the way out of the trailer, he started screaming and staring into the hills, seriously thinking about biting me while I tacked him up at the facility. I had to double check his color and teeth to make sure I had the right horse, and hadn't unknowingly switched him and TC out at some point. Nope, this is my twenty year old very well trained dressage horse who was pawing and screeching at me.
| Whinnying to no one |
| Omg we are at the trail ride place |
| Stop taking pictures of me and tack me up damn it I think he's looking pretty good for being twenty and sort of neglected since last summer |
I had my camera on me (and lost my lens cover, boo, had to order another one) so got some really cool pictures. I also got a bunch on my phone too (these pictures since the ones off my camera go into my massive editing queue). And I did enjoy the scenery as well. It was such a fun trail ride, especially since Rico was super into it.
Any time he was pointed up a hill or was on flat ground, he wanted to trot or canter. On the one hand, I love that he's feeling so good and having such a good time. On the other hand, slow the fuck down I did not ask you to do that you asshole and you are making that hiker you're following so closely nervous.
| YASSS TRAILSSS |
| Second gate |
| Taking the "this is not a trail" trail |
Throughout the ride, we saw a few people. No one on horseback, but a few mountain bikers and hikers. Rico is so freakishly solid on the trails. I love being able to assure people on bikes that they can zip by us without a problem, like don't even slow down or give us any space. With TC I can't help but to try to prevent disaster, at least by shortening my reins and putting my heels down. Rico stays on a loose rein and I remain completely distracted by the scenery, my camera, or my phone.
| Yay water in the pond! |
| Everything the light touches is Rico's, also everything the light doesn't touch |
| He dragged me down this not-a-trail too |
| Loves cows |
I chose wrong! On our way down, Rico got more and more amped, with more and more random canter transitions on any sort of flat ground he was presented with. When we were almost back to the trailer, he zipped out along another trail.
For a while I was pretty convinced that this was because he didn't want to go home. I later found out that it was because he found two horses to follow (we hadn't seen any other horses out there). He got really obsessive about catching up, trying to trot and canter downhill to get to them. Because of his coffins, I avoid doing anything other than walking downhill. And he usually doesn't even want to walk very fast downhill.
Eventually we caught up to almost-creepy levels of following. At this point he was all worked up about them, whinnying and prancing. So I asked him to piaffe and passage along the trail. And he did, better than he does in the arena! All this after a nice long trail ride.
When we passed them (they stopped), he immediately tried to slow wayyy down to hang out with them. Until he saw the horses tied next to the trailer and then wanted to get to them as fast as possible. Seriously Rico!
| He put his head down to snort at the shade |
| Cow! |
| Wouldn't get back in the trailer |
Next up I'm hoping for another beach trip with him!
He looks SO good!
ReplyDeleteOh Rico...it's fun that he can be so old and still have so much sass. Of course I am a glutton for punishment and like sass...
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful place to trail ride! There's no slowing Rico down:)
ReplyDeleteRico sounds like the MOST FUN trail horse ever!!
ReplyDeleteRico is a weirdo. A very fancy, highly-trained weirdo.
ReplyDeleteCan I borrow him?
LOL Rico!!! I can't believe he exists as a real horse I can't wait to meet him!
ReplyDeleteHe just wanted to be with his people!
ReplyDeleteOmg. I have this mental image of Rico mouthbreathing down the neck of some poor exhausted hiker... and I'm dying
ReplyDeleteNice ride. Our little local park has a pond that's been empty for years and filled up this year. It's already emptying out though.
ReplyDeleteHa "everything the light touches is his" - Isabel feels the same way!
ReplyDelete