Monday, December 21, 2015

Comparisons

Since I've now had two horses on rehab, I thought I'd compare them for fun. Because this is NOT fun (although I feel totally fine now, I have some really great plans that I will be revealing to you all as they unfold), but I may as well try to make it seem fun.

THIS beautiful thing came in the mail on Friday! Definitely
a pick-me-up after a long shitty week

Rico's rehabs:
13 years old (suspensory), 14-15 years old (DDFT), 16 years old (check)
Owned for 4 to 7 years
Lived in a box stall before
Can jump 5'
Bandaged regularly (for pony club)
Understands cross ties
Totally sane
World's best horse

TC's rehab:
4 years old (suspensory)
Owned for 4 months (ridden for 1 year)
Never lived in a box stall
Shouldn't be able to jump 5'
Rarely bandaged
Doesn't understand cross ties
Not all together sane
World's most okayest horse


Bandaging Rico:
1. Put horse in cross ties, horse falls asleep and rests one back foot
2. Get bandages out, reroll track wrap and padding, horse continues to doze
3. Wrap white padding around leg, adjusting as necessary
4. Wrap track wrap around padding, adjusting as necessary and leaving one half inch of padding outside of track wrap
5. Give horse a cookie

Beautiful perfect wraps after his DDFT

Bandaging TC:
1. Put horse in cross ties, horse threatens to rear
2. Try to explain to horse that cross ties are just another way to be tied and that he should not rear in them
3. Reroll bandages while trying to keep horse's feet on the ground
4. Grow third arm
5. Using third arm, hold horse's lead rope to keep most legs on the ground
6. Wrestle white padding around leg with first two hands, using third hand to yank at rope when horse paws, strikes out, or moves
7. Hold padding on and grab track bandage, which probably unraveled a bit while wrestling with horse's leg
8. Wrap track wrap around padding, following horse around
9. Leave no padding on outside of wrap because horse will yank at it
10. Spray wraps with Raplast and praise horse profusely for not stepping on you... that much

No white padding showing = bandages that don't get yanked off

Cold Hosing Rico:
1. Hook leg soakers to hose
2. Wrap leg soakers around horse's leg
3. Turn on hose
4. Read a book, watch tv, do your taxes, take a nap, tell horse how amazing he is

Okay see you in 20 minutes, Rico, I'm going to
go run some errands
Cold Hosing TC:
1. Drag horse to wash rack
2. Wrestle horse into cross ties
3. Remind horse what cross ties are
4. Start spraying horse's leg
5. Follow horse around with hose
6. Horse starts to paw with nose between legs, accidentally spray chin
7. Horse loves chin sprays, decide to give horse chin sprays because his life sucks right now
8. Horse learns that pawing leads to chin sprays, will not stop pawing
9. Give up on cold hosing

Chin sprays are the best

Cleaning Rico's Stall:
1. Clean stall
2. If horse gets in the way, push him away lightly, horse will move and respect  your space


Cleaning TC's Stall:
1. Start to clean stall
2. Horse arrives almost directly on top of you
3. Push at horse to get him away
4. Horse leans into your hand
5. Poke horse with handle of pitchfork
6. Horse appreciates being massaged
7. Move away from horse
8. Horse lets you grab one pitchforkful, then repeats step 2
9. Repeat steps 3-8 indefinitely


Second opinion with wizard vet is today!

It comes at a good time because TC JUMPED out of his paddock (5' fence) on Friday to terrorize Riot. Needless to say he is now locked in the stall with 8' walls. As L said perfectly, if it weren't for his circumstances, this would be excellent news! So today I'm also going to have my vet check the other leg's ST structures as well just in case. Fingers crossed for good news.

Oh hey there check ligament (Rico)
TC isn't handling himself very well, but he has started to accept his fate (no more rearing in the cross ties and he actually stands still sometimes for his cold hosing/bandaging.

It's actually hilarious to watch him and Rico. Poor Rico has been locked in as well (he gets to go to his porch though) to keep TC company, so Rico has taken it upon himself to back me up. When TC tries to get in my space in the stall or is pawing in the cross ties and I yell "QUIT" at him, Rico sneers at TC. I like to think that Rico is saying "stupid horse, LISTEN to Megan, she is awesome" rather than him thinking that I'm yelling at him and him saying to me "FUCK you I'm not doing anything wrong."

I wish I could ride Rico, but TC needs a baby sitter (lest he jump out the front of the stall) so Rico is stuck. Hopefully I'll be able to ride him later this week.

Ruby gives no fucks about anyone else's comfort

22 comments:

  1. TC in crossties with his bandages is so cute. "Look at me, woe is me, I have been made to stand here."

    And the jumping thing would be super cool (hell, it still is), except for the circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh by the way, that's a pretty darn awesome looking GOLD MEDAL!!!!!

      Delete
    2. TC in the cross ties was pretty upset that I made him stop pawing for the picture, he suffers so much. I'm kind of hoping that his knack for leaping a 5' fence means that he'll sit right down for his collected work and maybe have an excellent pi/pa in there somewhere?

      I was so happy to get the gold medal, now to get it back home after this week so all three can hang out together!

      Delete
  2. TC looks so abused in the cross ties. Rico just looks adorable and perfect.

    I'm with Codex, that Gold Medal is SUPER SHINY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was totally abused in the cross ties, not allowing a horse to paw is horse abuse. TC is sure of it. Rico is the best horse, he has been so good to babysit TC and put up with his antics.

      Delete
  3. I laughed. I know it's not a funny situation, but obviously you're still able to find some levity. Good luck with the cold hosing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! In the hours I don't have to deal with him, I'm finding it pretty hilarious.

      Delete
  4. The GOLD Medal!!!!! That is so awesome. Also the jumping is super impressive under other circumstances. Silly TC... Fingers crossed for the second opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah I'm hoping that his jumping is just an indicator of his athleticism and not that he'd rather be jumping. He seems to really enjoy anything he does, except stall rest. Definitely different from Rico who wished day in and day out that I'd leave him in his stall.

      Delete
  5. Great pick me up! Hoping on good news from vet. Or at least foretelling capacity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really hoping that my vet has good news, or yah just getting a better idea of what the next steps are and when he can be back to work. Other vet thought it'd be a full six months of stall rest so anything less will be amazing!

      Delete
  6. So not funny but your post made me laugh. Silly horse! I hope that the vet has good news for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sympathize. My pain in the ass rehab decided rearing and running away were fun activities. Also pawing. Wtf with the pawing. I want to beat her. Just for the record, no mules were beat. And Shasta does the same thing when you're cleaning her stall. She will not move. But she has the added trick of tipping the whole wheelbarrow over for funnsies. I hope TC doesn't learn that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But look at that cute gray face ;)

    You should open a rehab business, make some money with your experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh TC, so much woe in those baleful eyes! (but jumping 5'?!? hot damn, little baby horse!). glad you're able to find humor in the situation, and even more glad to hear that you're feeling fine. can't wait to learn more about how you plan to manage the situation!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I laughed so much at the, if horse were in different circumstances this would be excellent news comment. still sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats so funny, Rico making faces at TC! My horse did the same thing if another horse crowded me. I would shout at them to back up, he'd squeal and flip his head at them. SO much attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It wouldn't be as fun if there were two perfect Ricos. Right?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That gold medal is awesome!! Poor TC will learn that horse "abuse" is worth the cookies

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Worlds most okayest horse" HAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete