Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Must Come Down

I woke up to my kitty who had gotten into EVERYTHING last night (she is cute but she has moved right in and is clearly redecorating) so I ran out of the house before finishing this blog post. My commute doubles in length if I leave after 7am so when it gets to be 6:50, I just drop everything I'm doing and hit the road. My work computer hates blogger, specifically hates letting me put pictures in posts, so here is a post with no pictures, sorry for the lack of visual entertainment! My writing will have to suffice for now.


Sunday morning I woke up to an awesome kitty and clocks that were all mismatched. Goodbye daylight after work! Really hoping TC adjusts well enough to that (Tuesday edit: it's not looking good!).

I opted to run errands and relax in the morning, not having taken a full weekend off since I got this job. I was also giving TC both Monday and Tuesday off (he got turned out in the dark and the rain yesterday, yuck) so I wanted to ride him as late as I could so that he had less hours between this ride and my Wednesday ride.


I finally got out to the barn around 3. TC was great to tack up as usual. I feel silly saying that at this point, he's always really good. A couple of people were around and asked about him. It's always the same conversations, but I don't mind. He's really big. Yes he is. How old is he? He's four. Wow is he still growing? I fucking hope not. He's so cute. Thanks! What breed is he? He's a registered FSH. He looks spanish/andalusian/friesian/warmblood/fucking enormous. Yep!

I put all of TC's longeing contraptions on him, wondering why I was even doing that because he's been so good recently. I hopped on and as we walked to the arena, TC was shying from everything and it started getting windy. Yep, that's why I put all of our longeing stuff on, because sometimes we REALLY need it.

And Sunday was one of those days.

I chose to ride outside since there were a bunch of girls out there. TC started out okay, a little amped because the pasture horses were walking quietly. How offensive. Then the girls left the arena to go to the covered arena down below. Great. Fucking no.


TC held it together as best he could and I made him trot another circle before giving up and longeing. No point in opening another massive can of worms. I really wish that he handled things like this better, since this is not really conducive to showing. But this is my horse and I have to do what is best for his training. Because I can ride through it, but all it does is freak him out more and get him all in a tither, while getting off and longeing seems to settle him down more.

After a nice long longe, where he got to work on 15 meter canter circles because why the fuck not if we're stuck on the longe line for 25 minutes. May as well inch ever closer to First level despite only functioning with part of a brain at times.

I got on and he was pretty good to ride after his brain was reset with the longeing. We worked primarily on the stretch circle, and did a little leg yield too. He was tired and sweaty so we ended without too much more.


The stretch circle really got me thinking about next year's show season. And I started sounding like a snob so brace yourself. Basically I want to make sure that I'm not just showing for the sake of showing. I actually don't like showing that much. Given the chance to ride in a clinic with someone awesome vs showing and getting a mediocre score at a low level... I'll take the clinic. I love dressage so much more than I love showing, but when I do show, I like to do well.

So I mean I do want to show, but I was thinking about this coming year on my drive home. What score would I have to feel like I was guaranteed in order for me to think that the show was a success? As in, what score would have me coming off of the ride thinking that the money was worth it and that I was glad I went vs skipping the show in favor of a clinic with one of the absolutely amazing dressage trainers in the area? 65% is the answer to that. I would want to basically guarantee myself a 65%.

So what does that mean? Well, our canter work is going to score one point below our trot work, and our walk work will be hit or miss. All those scores will depend on his level of tension. Regardless of what he does, my rider score should be up there, maybe a 6.5-8. His gaits will be a 6.5 or 7 even if he's tense unless the judge is feeling mean. His impulsion and submission will probably reflect our canter score. Our stretch circle at its best (like what we had at our old barn) will be a 6 but at its worst will be a 4. Same with our free walk. He simply does not have those anymore.


After mathing a little bit, I need to get a pretty solid 6.5 on the canter work and 7s and 8s on our trot work to get a 65%. We are not there even if he's perfectly relaxed. Like his canter is just a 5.5 right now when he's being good, he's tense and off the bit a lot of the time OR he's just unsteerable. His trot is okay now but it's nothing to write home about, probably a solid 7 if he's relaxed. But man, looking at these scores, if he's tense, we're looking at a score in the 50s. He's going to be tense. He just doesn't understand his life just yet.

So if we lose about ten percentage points due to tension, which I think is a reasonable thing to think- one full point per movement when he's tense, I need to feel like every single day at home, where he is theoretically comfortable, that we put in a solid 75% test at any level we show at. I mean like...  HAHAHAHA.


We're not showing for a while. I'm thinking that a nice June or July debut when it's super hot out would be good. I mean give me the 100+ degree weather. I will happily sweat to death in my wool coat (I paid money for it and I'm going to wear it, damn it) and hope that my horse will be feeling the same way.

I have some plans this winter to get him to different barns for clinics, as I basically get to throw half my 2016 show budget at them now. I think the more times he goes to a new facility, gets a longe, has to work, and then gets to go home, the more he'll get into that routine without basically just making me feel like shit as I put 55% after 55% onto my record. I'm kind of a snob like that. Schooling shows may be a possibility, but again I've always taken some issue with some of the L graduates in the area, it'd have to be the right person and the right facility and the right date for me to want to go.

I'm also planning a couple of sleepaway camps for TC this winter. I'll be visiting my parents for both holidays and he's going to be shoved at random boarding stables in the area and then trailered fucking everywhere because I'll have easy access to a rig again.

By 2017, this horse is going to be a bomb ass show horse. Just when we get to the interesting levels!

24 comments:

  1. More miles sounds like just the thing. I know you don't love schooling shows, and I agree with the L judge issue, but if you're just going for experience and miles, you can just ignore the scores entirely. It's not like they go on any record or anything. I just find a show atmosphere is so different from even a clinic atmosphere, because even for a schooling show you have to warm up and schedule yourself to make your ride at an exact certain time. If nothing else it's helped me figure out what to do and when for a show warmup. But you've got about a million more miles than I do so I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah I might try a schooling show right before we do our first rated show. My idea is that right now, regardless of clinic vs schooling show, they both cost the same and he acts the same at both of them (and at any new place tbh). I'd rather pay for someone who is an S judge (or the person I'm thinking- actually trains the S judges that I usually ride with) to help me out and give me feedback over the course of 45 minutes vs getting an L grad to merely make comments on my ride.

      Luckily I have shown enough and feel confident enough at shows where I know I can put in a good test if I have a rideable horse. But right now I don't feel confident that I can take him to a new place and have a horse that I can ride well. So hopefully we'll hit the show ring in another eight months or so, I'm just eliminating my plan to start showing him in the early spring. It's just not realistic given what I want to get out of showing.

      Delete
  2. I hear you on the miles. I have done that with my older horse and Carmen will really need it. I plan to show next year but so that she can have the miles. I will also do clinics but there are not tons of those around. I take the approach that a horse learns to show by showing. But I also enjoy showing more than clinicing so that probably contributes. :) Once it clicks with him it will get easier. Right now it's all up for negoiation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah I get where you're coming from. But it just occurred to me that I can always ask a trainer to do a ride-a-test clinic for us that starts with him being all braided, getting longed, getting warmed up, and then going in and being judged by an S judge, and then on top of that, I can get a bit of a lesson afterward and some ideas on how I can be better prepared.

      I agree, I think once as he figures out that every single place he goes he has to work, he'll figure that out. When he was 3 years old, he did a lot of hauling, but it was always to go out on the trails. Going to places to work is still new to him.

      Delete
  3. I agree with your point about clinics vs showing. I would rather pay money to learn how to fix things when we fall apart vs. paying money to get told we are falling apart. Have you thought about taking him to school at the schooling shows? Around here they will let you bring horses for $15-20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah that's a really good point! I was going to look into taking him to rated shows as a non-compete horse, I need to figure out if that's a possibility and what the cost is. Because there is a rated show that is put on once per month all spring at a barn that's five minutes away from my barn and I realllly wanted to go to some of those shows this spring but maybe I'll just take him as non-compete and watch friends/coach.

      Delete
  4. Not showing at schooling shows would certainly help my frustration level. However, I do enjoy showing, and it's cheaper for me to show at a schooling show than clinic around here. Plus I can't justify bringing baby horse to a clinic... while it'd be nice, I want him out and about in show settings as practice for recognized shows next year.

    And you're totally not a snob about adding 50's to your record (or TC's)- I've got more than enough 50's on mine from trying to get 3rd level scores before we were actually ready (he was getting older, time was flying by, and I wanted it done yesterday so I was hoping for a 'get lucky'). I do not wish to add to those! And I want to keep Penn's record clean.

    It sounds like you have a good plan though! Where TC and Penn are different is relaxation levels at new places. I'd have similar plans of just doing field trips and no shows if Penn wasn't the relaxed fellow that he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah for me I'm stuck because I (voluntarily) have no trainer, so the only way I get instruction is with clinics. I almost never went to them when I did have a trainer I rode with regularly. I think there are a lot to be said about gaining experience at schooling shows, and I might consider it later next year, but this spring I think we'll get more out of clinics.

      Haha good to know that I'm not a snob! I have three scores in the 50s on my record- one from First level on Rico where I had hurt my back and still tried to show, one from Third level on Rico where the wind knocked down a couple of letters and I couldn't get him near them, and one from my first GP ever on the schoolmaster I was riding. I really want to keep my record clean, and his as well.

      I'm so envious of how relaxed Penn looked at that show! TC needs to talk to Penn about working at new places :)

      Delete
    2. I've got 3 at second level I think, and like 5 or 6 at 3rd. It's embarrassing. Then I have a 60 at second level mixed into my 3rd level nonsense which makes me look inept when in reality I should never have asked a horse who is inconsistent in his changes to hold a counter canter.

      If I didn't have a trainer, I'd be seeking out clinics for sure. However, we don't have that many BNRs come through that I'm willing to dump over $400 for a weekend. There's a German Riding Master who comes through that I absolutely love and I'm dying to take Penn to see him, however I'm going to pay a lot more to hear the same thing from him that I hear from my trainer!

      And deal - Penn can talk to TC about relaxation if TC talks to Penn about being super extra floaty haha!

      Delete
    3. Ohh yah I can get a lesson with a BNT for just over $100 so they're a lot more worth the schooling shows that cost that much too! This area is just littered with S judges so if you go to their farm, the cost is SO much cheaper than a normal big clinic because you don't have to pay for their travel costs.

      Delete
  5. I'm totally on board with limited showing in favor of giving a horse good experiences. I'm hoping to get Kat to a few clinics early 2016... I'm definitely going the show jumping path with her but I'd still love to be able to put in a few respectable scores at training or potentially first with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah I think it's going to be a good path for us to go down, he's just such a basket case in new places, it drives me nuts!

      Delete
  6. haha I was gonna say, don't forget the overnight stalling experience :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so not looking forward to that! I'm arranging boarding for him over Thanksgiving and hopefully Christmas. I may or may not make it through the holidays, but if I do make it to the other side, I will hopefully have a much more chill horse!

      Delete
  7. Can I just say that I really like today's blog title after yesterday's? If that was planned, your scheduling powers are to be admired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely planned! I had no title for yesterday's when I wrote it on Saturday, but then Sunday rolled around and he was a bit of a dingbat so it gave me ideas.

      Delete
  8. You're so technical. I'm riding the wave of realizing that the reason I've always sucked at shows is because I never went to shows and thus didn't have a show skillset. So. We show. Thus far, we've shown at a very (very very very) low level and it hasn't bitten us too hard, but thinking about SHOWS with SCORES that COUNT has me a little wigged out right now.

    We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely takes a certain skillset! It's super intimidating to go for scores that count, I was terrified all last year. But you're doing so well, those scores are going to be no problem!

      Delete
  9. I love your score thought process, I'm terrible about flying by the seat of my pants. Sounds like an extremely solid plan you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't help but to break it down like that, especially with a horse who has such a different trot vs canter in terms of quality. Hopefully it works and we're in the show ring in no time!

      Delete
  10. I'm in an adjacent boat to you. I don't want to waste the money and emotional investment unless I can guarantee getting a reasonable score and some good feedback. That means no "tense, needs supple" comments on 60%-ish tests. I know Murray's fucking tense and needs supple and I don't need to pay big money to hear it.

    The solution for me is lots of schooling shows, since off-property dressage clinics are a little less frequent in my area. Lots of going to another place, getting myself all fired up, and then working in the dressage court. And if we're not being judged I can beat pony senseless if he decides that acting up in the dressage court is a thing we DO because learning that is NOT okay. And I can learn how to go into a dressage court without wigging myself out and ceasing to ride correctly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah this area is ridiculously good for clinics/lessons with BNTs so it costs the same. TC doesn't seem to go that much differently in the court, and I don't ride any different, it's mostly just new places = scary and he doesn't want to work regardless of whether we're in a clinic or in a show! Eventually we'll make our way back to the schooling show circuit (although I have no idea where there are any over here except this one barn nearby which I refuse to trailer into because I think I might die)!

      Ugh I feel you on hearing "tense, needs supple" over and over again haha we can do the tensest, least supple pas de deux ever. Random spooking gets extra points!

      Delete
  11. i totally hear your point about preferring clinics to shows - but also agree with others that sometimes the key to getting a better performance at shows is to just, ya know, keep showing. then again tho i kinda love shows haha, and the local schooling variety is usually way more cost effective than a clinic with a BNT so... it's what we do ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah I think if the money wasn't the same, I'd have a different opinion! But he's basically the same in the show ring as he is out of the show ring, and I ride the same in vs out too (I actually ride better in the show ring haha).

      Eventually we will show, but until he's quieter at new places, he's not going to be quiet at a show. So he needs miles at new places, given that the cost is the same and we're getting the same amount of exposure. So I'll take an S judge who can coach me over comments by a person whose only necessary qualifications are that they have scored over 60 a few times at a level that is six levels below me (though most are more qualified, still though omg). I feel so snobby saying that but exposure to new places is the main issue so I may as well put my money into what I'm going to get the most out of. Once as he's really great at all of the clinics, we'll see how his behavior is at a schooling show before signing up for a rated one.

      Delete