| Some sunset pictures from the past because it's hard to get media at night |
As we rounded the turn, I saw three teenagers galloping around in the arena. Two of them had brooms and they were smacking a beach ball around the arena.
And I was on a four year old horse with a hump in his back who hadn't been ridden since Sunday.
But TC really didn't seem to care about it as we walked up and opened the gate, so I decided to give it a go. Best to give him the benefit of the doubt. The barn he was at growing up was a bit chaotic- summer camps, gymkhana, lots of kids. He also puts a lot of faith in other horses- he totally gives in to peer pressure. Since none of those horses seemed concerned, he acted cool.
The girls immediately stopped and asked if it was okay, I told him that it was fine as long as they were careful. They agreed not to smack the ball AT us, which I thought was sweet. I just hoped that they would notice if he started freaking out.
| From our old barn |
At one point the barn owner yelled at the girls for disrupting me, but I told her that it was TOTALLY fine, that they had asked me and that I wanted my horse to be real bombproof. The girls laughed and said they'd be happy to bombproof him for me. I might take them up on that! Whatever they want to do while we're in the arena is fine. This horse is going to be fantastic in a warm up arena even with the most nervous ammy! I'm excited to make his sale video, there's going to be some weird stuff in there.
But yah the ride, nothing to write home about. I'm not sure why. His feet are a bit long, so I'm ordering one of these dealies to trim him down before his new trimmer comes out next week. The footing seemed no worse than normal. It WAS a bit cold and he has no blanket (he's not clipped and this is California so he's fine), so maybe that was it. He just had an off day. He just didn't seem to know where any of his legs were or even how many legs he had. He was refusing to bend left, which hasn't happened in a long time. He was breaking constantly from the canter and wasn't on the bit.
| Okay not a sunset but this is one of my favorite winter trees |
Today will hopefully be better in terms of dressage. And then I'm done with riding in the dark this week! It actually isn't so bad, we'll see what happens when winter really hits, but this past week he's really turned around. I feel like I've got my horse back!
I'm trying to visualize this insanity and what I'm coming up with... Well, let's just say I am very very impressed with Mr TC!
ReplyDeleteHe was such a good boy about it! He's pretty quiet about most things, the problem has always been that he's pretty herd bound so likes to keep track of what other horses are doing. What they're doing, as long as he can see them, doesn't seem to matter so much.
DeleteYay! Baby horse is growing up. I am counting on the teenage boys and their trucks/stereo systems to bomb proof my horse. I think you are doing a better job than me. I'm so happy for you that he is settling down.
ReplyDeleteYah gotta love teenagers at the barn to bombproof the hell out of our horses!! I'm glad he's settling down too, although we'll see how he is today. He knows how to keep me on my toes these days.
DeleteI'm trying you picture your sales video - you in tails doing 9 mediums interspersed with him playing beach ball broom polo and snacking on tarps. People are either going to wonder if he's actually a dressage horse or be concerned that they need to contact the SPCA and report horse "abuse"!
ReplyDeleteThat's exactly what it's going to look like! Start out all fancy, showing off his dressage training, then a bunch of weird shit. Not so weird that people don't want to buy him, but just weird enough where they're like "gotta rescue that tolerant horse from that crazy lady."
DeleteYahh it can get wild when the teenagers are out and about. I didn't mind because he seemed to handle it just fine, but had he been freaking out, I would have been yelling at them.
ReplyDeleteHaha, I can see TC and Penn in their own comic strip, sitting on their butts in a field, holding up their hooves and staring at them. "Ok, let's count again... how many legs do we each have?"
ReplyDeleteIt is such a relatable baby horse problem! :-)
Ahaha I love that visual! He definitely forgets sometimes. I feel like we'd have been more coordinated with either one more or one less leg. Four is not an optimal number.
Deletelolz that's one way to bombproof a horse! also nice to know that one of his 'off days' now is really just him not dressaging very well, vs. him not even horsing like a horse. progress!
ReplyDeleteThat was huge, that we had our first bad ride due to being uncoordinated vs due to being a distracted POS. That plus the beach ball polo meant that I ended up being really happy about such a shitty ride!
Delete