| So much of my thesis has been written like this- sitting in my car between lessons at the preserve |
The horse situation is a bit boring this week. I have one more ride (today) where TC gets ridden without a bit and I'll be using the Zilco Flower Hackamore. I want to express my love for Riding Warehouse, as their free overnight shipping to California meant that I got to try out the hackamore less than 24 hours (on Rico, TC had already been ridden) after I ordered it.
I will write something about it after today's ride in it on TC, but the way Rico went in it suggested that TC will like it a lot. So far I love that it's so easy to change where the reins are (I need english clippy reins, which I will pick up soon). But I did notice that when it's on the leverage setting, the flowers sometimes tilt in a weird way, if I notice that again, I'll get a picture of it. I think if you're really going for a lot of leverage though, you'd probably want a mechanical hackamore.
| Rico loves the new rescued mare/foal along the road |
Tuesday was my second bitless day. I got the new hackamore that evening, so Tuesday's ride was once again in the makeshift side pull that I created by taking the reins off the normal part of my mechanical hackamore and putting them on the loop where the curb chain attaches.
I've been pretty happy with him like this, though not willing to take him anywhere but our home arena because he does have a (waning) propensity to bolt in places that aren't his home arena.
We have been somewhat productive despite the lack of a bit. Some horses go well without a bit, you basically can't tell the difference on Rico in a hackamore vs double bridle. And some horses, TC it seems, don't go well without a bit. He really likes to seek contact and has been kind of annoyed that there is only pressure on his nose when he tries to connect. He also continuously puts the curb chain in his mouth when I bridle him. But honestly re: bitless bridles allowed at USDF competitions. I don't care. I really really don't.
| He's pretty stylish |
But yes, productivity. My vet (who did TC's vet check) has a lot of knowledge about fitness and he told me that TC was undermuscled and didn't appear very fit. Well yes, he is four years old and only being ridden for 30 minutes 4x per week. That's only two hours a week that he's working, maybe a little more if you count walking to the arena and back work. One thing that stuck with me though, was that my vet wanted me to really address the lateral suppleness because it's good for his neuro-coordination or however he phrased it. In essence, I think he meant that he wanted TC to feel more comfortable on his feet and with his own balance.
So that translates into a LOT more lateral work.
It's not like I haven't been doing lateral work, but I haven't really drilled it since this spring when he was just learning to leg yield along the fence. My current rides have been mostly transitions and bending on circles rather than leg yields and shoulder-in. The lateral work, if I do it, is placed randomly throughout, mostly if I accidentally turn early.
So this week has been lateral work boot camp at the walk, as I want to avoid too much trotting and cantering around off the bit.
He's gotten pretty good at leg yielding. I can get him to step over just by shifting my weight now. He's still a bit slow about it, but the angle is fantastic. He can nearly side step now.
Shoulder-in is also a thing that we do now. He's really good at it. That makes sense, since (1) it's one of my stronger movements and (2) he has a good amount of lateral suppleness. So those paired with his full understanding of the leg yield means that I can put him in shoulder-in pretty easily now.
Haunches-in is a struggle. He will do it, but it gets leg yield-y. That makes sense because it's one of my weaker movements and he is definitely a lot more movable in the shoulders than he is in the haunches at the moment. That will get better!
We did trot and canter, mostly working on responsiveness in transitions and geometry of our figures. Kinda not much to talk about when he can't do anything other than flail around. I guess that's what happens when a horse has been ridden on the bit since 30 days undersaddle. He really struggles to be ridden off the bit (goooood muahaha).
Today I'll ride him in the new hackamore and hopefully get more done. Then tomorrow we're back in the fat snaffle and I get to legitimately ride my pony again. Yay! Until then... thesis panicking.
Today I'll ride him in the new hackamore and hopefully get more done. Then tomorrow we're back in the fat snaffle and I get to legitimately ride my pony again. Yay! Until then... thesis panicking.
Please send me that adorable little California King Snake. He's so cute!
ReplyDeleteRE thesis, the funny thing is that when you finally DO finish, when it's finally all turned in, all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed... you're like "wait, really? Really I'm done? Are you SURE?" And then it takes a while to actually really believe that you ARE done. You wake up at 3 am CERTAIN that you need to add one more thing. And then you go through withdrawals, because you've had an Idea that surely should have been included so maybe you'll write a paper about it...
And then after about 3-6 months you're like "thank god that is over and I'm NEVER EVER EVER GOING BACK TO SCHOOL EVER AGAIN."
Then two years later you'll start thinking that a Ph.D. sounds like a good idea.
I haven't left the NEVER EVER EVER GOING BACK stage.
DeleteAnd I'm back.
Dammit.
He is so cute! There was a King snake at one of the festivals downtown and I got to pet him, his name was Oreo. I feel like this thesis is going to haunt me forever! Like I'm never going to ACTUALLY be done with it.
DeleteAnd I FOR SURE am not going to go back. If I ever consider it though, I fully expect you to be an enabler so I'm totally steering clear of you haha
Hmmm it'd probably be for a PhD in statistics or quantitative psychology... ugh now you have me thinking about it!!
Things that are not ok #1: snakes in the house. The rest sounds ok.
ReplyDeleteAs long as it isn't a rattlesnake, I'm not bothered by them in the house! We just threw a towel on him and got a pitch fork. I'd rather have a snake than have a tarantula, which are everywhere in the fall!
DeleteI'm not sure what kind of help you need with your thesis, but I've completed my PhD and edited A LOT of dissertations/articles in my own discipline as well as others, so feel free to holler at me if I can be of service. :)
ReplyDeleteI've never ridden either of my horses bitless. I'm sure Red would be fine but I don't want to know what would happen with Mo, ha! You're braver than me.
Oooo thanks!!! Right now my main problems are related to my specific field (I'm doing a meta analysis on conditioned motivating operations) and my advisor is one of the few experts in the field so it's really hard to not have him helping me with the theory along the way. I'm sure the editing is going to be a bitch. Just the idea of sitting down and reading 100+ pages looking for tiny mistakes makes me feel sick.
DeleteI'm not that brave! I'm keeping him in the home arena and he's the sort of horse where if you think about stopping, he's way ahead of you. But we did have a nice little scoot today away from a dog who jumped off of a platform in the arena. He stopped right away though. He's such an easy baby (for now...).
ugh good luck with the thesis!! re: the increased lateral work, i'd love to hear more details on the 'how-to' aspects for dressage idiots like me. Austen assigned me 'shoulders-in' to help my mare and gave me some great pointers (including a demonstration) of how to do it. but i'm always eager for more!
ReplyDeleteThanks! One day it will be done, that's what keeps me from throwing my laptop out the window.
DeleteYou are for sure not a dressage idiot! Look at your last test!
The biggest thing, I think, with shoulder-in is to make sure it's not getting leg-yield-y. Leg yields are helpful, but shoulder-in is so much more. To keep it from being a leg yield, ideally your outside leg should be back to hold the outside hind leg under. Inside leg at the girth to push the inside leg under, and then bring the shoulders in with your outside rein/thigh, using inside rein to direct her nose inward.
One exercise that helps a lot for strength building once as she has a good idea of what you're asking with the shoulder-in is walk-trot transitions within the shoulder-in itself. So set her up in shoulder-in at the trot, don't let the angle vary or the bend change, and ask her to walk, then without letting the angle or bend change, back to trot. You can do slow active trot to medium trot transitions in the shoulder-in too.
I think I have something in the works for shoulder-in actually, I've been slack-a-lackin' on the theory posts recently. I have some saved for my first couple weeks at work while I'm working and thesising at the same time and have no time for anything else.
huh ok that's really interesting!! i will try that. it's still a struggle to keep all my own pieces in place, let alone keep her doing what i want - but i think i see how we get there. thanks!
DeleteThat Thesis sounds like a killer :-( I went through a graduate program where we had a year long class instead of a thesis. It included a bunch of smaller research papers and tons of presentations but at least it felt like we had more support. I'm not sure how I would have handled a 100+ page paper. I'll have my fingers crossed that your advisor is suddenly available to you :-)
ReplyDeleteTarantulas and snakes just casually make their way into your house? That's terrifying. Well, the King snake is actually kind of cute.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck with that thesis!