Monday, July 6, 2015

New Trails and Old Routines

For Fourth of July, the family took a trail ride! There's a new trail facility not far from us and we decided to try it out. Rico was so so excited to not be left behind. I work or am not around most weekends so he often watches while Riot and Stretch get taken out and he is left behind. Poor pony.

Maybe if we had actually gotten some rain this year it'd be
less brown... 

I had him loose in the barn aisle while the other horses were being loaded (he goes in last because he's the biggest one). He suddenly realized that he was not being loaded and came charging out of the barn and bullied Riot into the trailer, following close behind him and trying to wedge himself into Riot's slot. I had to run after him and yank him back so we could close the divider and then let him in.

It's a small facility with one 4 mile loop. Rico was up for the whole thing but Stretch wasn't, so we ended up just walking out on one side of the loop for a while, then turning back and walking out on the other side of the loop before turning around and coming back. The trails are new so the footing was kind of loose. Rico tripped a few times but in general felt fine. He had a blast!

Some good views from the first climb
Sunday I woke up in pretty awful pain. My back hasn't been able to heal due to everyone being out of town- which means that my rides per week have more than tripled. In addition, Rico (who I ride maybe once a week on the trails) and TC (who I only ride for 30 minutes 3-4x/week and don't sit the trot) are easy on my back while the others aren't as easy.

I had two horses that I rode in the same day last week that both pulled on me a lot and my back has been getting steadily worse since then. I need it better by August because I'll be riding a lot of horses then as well. I wish people would take me on vacation rather than having me ride their horses while they are gone! Lots of ice, nsaids, and making attempts at reducing my rides to the bare minimum and only working on the canter/posting trot when I do ride.

He is so fun to trail ride
In addition (not done complaining), my inability to do crossfit is only going to make my back worse over time because I'll start to lose the core that stabilizes my back. At the moment, I can't do sit-ups/planks/anything other than walking really, way way too painful-- I am doing my PT exercises but those don't really build strength in the same way that really packs on muscle. I have almost no range of motion from L2 to my SI.

So I'm in a very precarious situation right now, the same one I was in and reason why I chose to leave this career a few years ago, where I have to choose between my health and staying afloat financially. Realities of being a horse trainer right there. I really hope it gets better soon. Or that I get a job soon... more resumes sent out this weekend.

Pity party over! I did still manage to ride TC on Sunday despite the pain.

His mane is out of control
I started with longeing in the chambon, which I'm hoping to keep up once a week. From last week to this week, he was MUCH more comfortable at the canter in the chambon. He just looks bold in the canter in a way that he hasn't ever looked before.

I got on him and my back wasn't having it, so we kept the ride short. He wasn't as forward or as connected as he has been in the last week, but we also haven't ridden at home in a week and, while he's much better relaxed, he is not as forward there. I had to get after him once or twice about being forward and then he maintained it pretty well, we also had to have some discussions via walk-trot transitions about the contact. He snapped back to normal pretty quickly but still struggled with bend to the left. The right felt amazing.

I totally want to hike up here

His canter felt pretty good under saddle. The right was much easier to steer than the other day and the left was probably about the same. In the small arena, he really struggles with the balance to the left at the canter. He leans in and scrambles in the corners sometimes. I think I need to school smaller figures in the big arenas to help him with that.

Since we had longed, I basically just stopped with just a quick walk-trot-canter. While he was eating, I brushed his tail and pulled a bit of his mane before he slammed me into the wall with his face trying to get me to stop. Ouch. He had also kneed me in the face earlier when I was leaning down to put rainmaker on his feet so I kind of just gave up trying to take care of him that day. He didn't mean either of them but I hate it when he reminds me that he isn't Rico!

So patriotic, this guy loves flags
Today I ride him again and hopefully we can get over to the neighbor's to have a nice forward ride. Remember when I hated riding there so much because he was a total dingbat? Progress.

11 comments:

  1. Ugh I have been there with the back pain... it is NOT fun to feel like you're 85 and totally crippled. I hope you get a chance to rest and heal up so you can start building muscle again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the worst! The only thing I hate more are headaches but even with those, Tylenol makes them go away. Nothing has made this pain go away. I definitely feel like an old person, I was hobbling around the barn today while the older ladies at the barn looked like spring chickens! No fair!

      Delete
  2. I also have a back injury (actually 2) and it does make everything a lot harder. PT helped me, but I'm also still really weak in my core. I get yelled at a lot about engaging my core during dress lessons and I'm like, yeah, that's all I can do. What's the new trail facility called?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new place is Coyote Valley Open Space, it's really nice! I'm hoping they will add more trails. Ugh back injuries are terrible, I have disc and facet damage in L4/L5/S1 and then my SI joint is prone to injury as well. No fun!

      Delete
    2. I tore the disc between my l4/l5 and dislocated my SI joint in a fall about 3 years ago. I actually broke every bone in my spine except for 4 two years ago, but that injury has healed. The SI joint and disc issues continue to this day. One thing I've found that helps is a heating pad. I keep one on my couch and use it even in the summer when it's boiling hot. Works better than advil.

      Delete
  3. Time to break out the Bengay!! Hope your back starts feeling better!

    And yes, I got your email. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! Thanks, I'm hoping it's on the mend now that most everyone is back in town. And yay! I'm so excited for our future adventures.

      Delete
  4. i love that Rico is so excited about getting onto the trailer haha. also that back injury sounds supremely shitty... good luck letting it heal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loooves trailer rides, especially with other horses but he's pretty good on his own too. Riot isn't so great but Rico biting him turned out to be a huge motivator for him haha

      Delete
  5. I wish my mare was that eager to load! That back injury sounds absolutely lovely - I hope it starts to feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's always been like that, I was way spoiled with him because he loves going new places. Hopefully the baby is like that too... ugh thanks, I'm hoping that it gets better soon too.

      Delete