![]() |
| Probably one of my favorite pictures of us, even though I don't usually like posting trot pictures or my hands |
![]() |
| Warming up while being charged away with, charging does do wonders for his inside hind leg though |
In the morning, I got to the barn with just enough time to gather stuff and load. Now I say I had time to load and I mean that I had just enough time to walk a willing horse into the trailer, not enough time just in case TC didn't want to get into a strange trailer by himself. I realized this stupid mistake AFTER I woke up and had no time to push my schedule earlier.
Luckily, I may be stupid, but TC is a saint so he hopped right in.
I left him in the trailer while I grabbed my number. The judge was running late so I took my time getting ready, walking TC all around the facility.
He was actually okay. He was a bit spooky and screamed in my face a bunch, but he stayed with me the whole time and improved when I put him to work walking and halting and reining back.
In the round pen, he was AWESOME. A little scared of one place where some flappy stuff was outside of the pen, but other than that, totally relaxed and willing. After he walked, trotted, and cantered with and without the chambon, it was about twenty minutes before my ride time so I led him over to the warm up.
![]() |
| I wish his chambon wasn't squishing his neck to make the dip in front of his withers so pronounced... |
![]() |
| Return of the rogue left hand |
He... was fine. I got on and he was just like at the neighbor's arena. He's literally never stepped in this arena in his life. And it was fine. We walked, trotted, and cantered. He was looking curiously around, so wasn't as through as he usually is, but there was very little tension and he felt as rideable as he had ever felt at a show.
Unfortunately the show was so small that our only other companion in the warm up, who TC had decided was his new best friend, left and disappeared around the corner for their test. TC was getting a little upset and I didn't want to push it, so we left and finished our warm up at the walk near the show ring. He was fine with that.
![]() |
| Lots of waiting |
![]() |
| His color is doing weird shit |
The first test was kinda meh. One thing I will say is there was NO spooking at the judges booth. He walked right up and then ignored it the whole time. Unfortunately, though, our new BFF was the ride before us. In a hope of being intelligent, we went in right as the horse halted to try to get around the arena a few times. Nope. Judge rang us in the second that horse was out of the court. So poor TC is trotting up centerline and juuuust noticing that new BFF is leaving the arena. THE HORROR.
All in all, it wasn't a bad test, but it was nothing to write home about. He stayed with me, but he was rigid in the neck at times and that made me rigid in my hand, which I fought to quell. I felt constricted by the test movements because I really wanted to spiral him in or do a transition or whatever to break up the tension in his back, but we were stuck on these huge circles so it was hard to get him back to me when he got distracted. Definitely something to work on at home- he needs to be ever more moveable on a straight line (like being able to push his ribcage out independently of an exercise, being able to bring him a bit overbent on a straight line, etc)
The free walk was basically just me leaning forward in hopes that I would weigh his front end down a bit to get him to stretch down. This is my fault as I really haven't focused much on it at home. Big wake up call for me since it's not like he's going to magically practice it on his own.
But we stayed in the court and he was much better than he had been at the last two shows.
![]() |
| If he'd just go like this all the time, no more dip in front of the withers! I love how round he is here |
![]() |
| He is so fun |
By the time we went back in, he felt pretty good. I picked up the trot and he had a coughing fit. The judge rang the bell. During our coughing fit. So I had to decide between going in or trying to do a weird loop around A to give him more time to stop coughing. I just went in because fuck it, I'm not going for scores here.
![]() |
| His tail is something else |
![]() |
| Medium walk |
This test was MUCH better, no regrets doing two tests. He was a lot more rideable and I felt like there were moments that mimicked what we get at home. There were also some moments where he didn't steer, got distracted by new BFF and other new BFF who he latched onto in the show ring itself when the horse walked by.
I was really pleased by our circles in that test, they were super soft and round. For the first time, our left circle actually contained the once illusive bend. Other than a moment of wanting to canter in the trot transition to the right, he was so great in the second half.
I feel like it's too bad that the Intro/Training tests are so simple and short, because I would have really liked to have another few circles in that test for him. Obviously that's not the point of dressage, but he really started to settle in the second half. I just need to hope for judges and scribes that take forever to write up the person before me so we get a solid couple of times around the ring.
![]() |
| CANTERING WOULD BE MORE FUN HERE |
![]() |
| Super round in walk |
The comments were weird though. There were no comments about how retracted he was in the first test, only comments about how I was riding too rigid in the hand, which is true, but hardly a theme. I was only rigid when he got away from me. But I agree that I should control that better.
![]() |
| Rigid right hand due to transition being kind of expressive |
![]() |
| Around the outside |
I'm not claiming that an uphill balance won't help me out at Introductory level- TC is not a particularly downhill horse, but he does get rigid in the neck and drops his withers and we are working on that. But the uphill comment was equivalent to a comment at Training/First level saying "needs more collection," I mean yeah that'd be nice. If TC was more uphill and better balanced, maybe we'd be doing Second, but it isn't required at the level we're at so find another way of insinuating it if you really want to nail me for his balance. Something like "horse gets retracted in the neck and drops withers, loses balance" would be better. I feel like uphill should not be a word used at Introductory level unless it's a compliment. And the transition where he "wasn't on his haunches" was one where he tripped behind because he got distracted. "Needs better balance in downward transition" would be a much better comment than "not on his haunches."
![]() |
| He now has brown eyeliner, which is weird |
![]() |
| Our halts aren't the best |
It's a schooling show, I won't focus on the judging or the scores, since that is not why we are doing these anyway. But the odd comments and how quiet he was about showing did get me thinking about doing more clinics and less schooling shows for the rest of the year though. I mean, to really break it down, a schooling show is where I pay about a hundred dollars to go to a new place, ride in a new arena, and get feedback from an L judge. A clinic is where I pay about a hundred dollars to go to a new place, ride in a new arena, and get feedback from an S judge or an international competitor. Seems kind of stupid to do the former. But I do appreciate getting him in the routine of showing, but he seems to be embracing it now a bit more.
I'm even thinking of putting off our first rated show until the spring to possibly ride him in the Mary Wanless clinic this winter if I get my counter offer on this job. It's always been a goal of mine to ride with her, and what better way to torture myself with biomechanics than on a four year old, right? But I can't sit the trot on him (Carl Hester says that they don't ever sit on a young horse's back) so maybe it'd be better to wait until next year when I can get more out of it.
Despite the judging issues, I was so so pleased with him. My dad has never met him and was super impressed, which I was happy about because my dad always compares horses to Rico and TC is nothing much in comparison to Rico. TC loves everyone so I think my dad's impression of him was helped by TC's tendency to cuddle with everyone he meets.
![]() |
| TC loves attention |

















I agree that those comments seem way off base for intro. I've never competed in dressage, but have been reading the tests and the objectives and that doesn't match up to what I've been reading at all. Copper and I are wayyy under prepared for intro level if that judge is watching. ;)
ReplyDeleteYah I was like holy shit what is required at Training if he needs to be more uphill and have more bend in his hocks for INTRO?! That's it, we're staying at Intro for three years. But at least I've had enough feedback from other judges and my trainers to know that this judge was a little off. I don't disagree with her comments (he should be a bit more lifted in the wither and if he would please bend his hocks for once, I'd keep him forever), but they seemed odd at Intro.
DeleteHe is a horse of many colors!
ReplyDeleteI have NO idea what he is doing with himself! I was thinking it was just bleaching (since a lot of the brown is where he sweats), but I'm not quite sure anymore...
DeleteSo exciting that he was a good boy in a new place! And yeah those comments seem a little whacked out... Hoping the judge I'm riding in front of tomorrow isn't looking for 2nd level balance in a BN test!
ReplyDeleteI was so happy! He was so good. Yah weird comments, hopefully your judge is reasonable tomorrow!
DeleteSounds like a very good day for the baby horse! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteThanks! He was so so good, I was really pleased.
DeleteWhat a good baby horse! He's come so far over the summer. I'm really impressed that you got him to hold it together for the tests and got good work out of him. Kudos, for realz.
ReplyDeleteThat comment about not enough weight behind is weird. Really weird. Like ... wtf?
Now a question: How should you approach a rigid neck/poll/jaw rather than get rigid in your hand?
Ahh thanks! He is so fun and easy to work with (sorta, today kind of sucked). Too bad the judge didn't think he was going all too well for Intro, oh well!
DeleteUgh I was fighting so much with myself today about that. I think the best way of riding a horse that gets rigid is just to be magical. Today I was playing with it and came to a few conclusions:
1- I tend to match the horse with what they're giving me and that is not good. If he's rigid, I'm rigid, if he's light (and maybe threatening to get behind the bit), I'm light. Instead, I need to lighten when he is rigid and put him into a heavier contact when he is light. Basically I need to take charge of the connection immediately and get it back to neutral-land.
2- When he gets rigid, I'm trying to give him an aid and then lighten immediately, then give the aid again. Basically I can't get locked into bracing against him. This was working pretty well except when he saw a horse, which despite living with a herd of them, he was sure he had never seen before.
3- Returning to walk is always an answer for us because he rarely gets rigid at the walk. When things went wrong at the trot, I would go back to walk, then go between free walk and medium walk for a half circle, then return to trot. That worked miracles but I used it as a last resort and did it at the end so who knows whether it really worked.
In general (especially on a trained horse), I try to break up tension over the topline by riding them a bit lower/deeper, get to a place where there is no rigidity, then fix the outline later on (like if poll the highest point = rigid, go lower until there is relaxation, then bring them slowly back up). TC is definitely going to be one of those horses that needs to be ridden a little low for a long long time. We're still working on just getting down there!
Aww, what a good (and handsome!) baby horse! He looks so fancy!
ReplyDeleteI've had some weird comments from judges at schooling shows, but usually the L judges are more "on the level" than the other judges.
Thanks!! I was surprised when I saw the pictures actually, he looks a lot more fancy than he feels. I can't really feel the fancy when I'm wading through all the young horse shit he still does (like drifting severely on centerline because he saw a horse and he goes in any direction he glances at).
DeleteOh man. I'm screwed if uphill and being on the haunches is required at Intro.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad he was so well-behaved for you. Sounds like a good day in if the comments were off.
That's what I was thinking! I was like ah well Training is further off than I thought.
DeleteHe was great, I was super super happy with the whole day despite the comments :)
He is turning into such a beefcake!
ReplyDeleteI know, I didn't realize it! He looks so scrawny on the ground and on the longe but he really puffs himself up undersaddle I guess.
DeleteHa! I've had that intro judge. I mean, obviously not that exact one, but same idea where it's like "um helloooooooo of course he isn't a second level horse. He's obviously very green and I obviously don't ride like a gold medalist, so maybe focus on the fact that we did the movements???"
ReplyDeleteBut I digress.
I know! Intro is the level where you can be rewarded well for mediocrity, right? There should be a collective mark for simply staying in the dressage court and not dumping the rider. Green horses are fun haha
Deletethose pictures are all so gorgeous!! major kudos on such a positive show - he really has come so far! seems like your strategy for the two tests really paid off too. the judging is kinda blech tho, and i totally see your point about doing clinics instead. i guess at this point in his training, anything out of the ordinary is good experience for him too, so really you can take your pick of what you want :)
ReplyDeleteThanks! I was really pleased, new experiences are great for him regardless of what the judge thought. If she can't judge at rated shows, I don't really care much anyway!
DeleteSome judges make sense and others don't -- that's the beauty (or horror?) of riding in a subjective discipline. Either way, TC got out and got some experience! What a good baby horse he is.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely horror at times! But there's not much that can keep me from doing it so I shouldn't complain haha
DeleteWhat a fancy looking boy! So glad your show was such a successful outing in terms of him keeping his baby brain in the game and making it a positive experience. Sure glad I don't have to ride in front of that judge though!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I never thought he'd be this fancy, he wasn't all too fancy when I met him. I'm so glad it went well in terms of what we were looking to achieve, but I'll definitely be avoiding that judge in the future...
Delete